Decisions Decisions

kimey467

Nov 13, 2018
boston lincs
Hi im looking at purchasing my first EMTB this week but just cant decide what to go for. I don't like the Bosch motor but would be happy with shimano Yamaha or brose. Obviously all the talk is about the 2019 levo atm but I feel the spec doesn't match the price tag (Altough I can get a fsr for £3500). I have a max budget of £4000 and don't mind buying a 2018 model if the deal is great. Any recommendations or advice on great deals to be had would be greatly appreciated. I have just found this on CR which seems a good deal to me
Lapierre Overvolt AM 450+ 27.5"+ Mens Full Suspension Electric Mountain Bike - 2018

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
First lets take some time to look at the dull things in life:

1. Battery Charging - do you have the ability to charge the bikes battery where you store it? If not you are going to want a battery thats easily removable so you can bring it in doors to charge. Some of the integrated batteries cannot be removed easily. Same logic applies for if you think you may be doing long rides which involve carrying a spare battery.

2. Type of bike - ignore the motors for the moment, and look at the bike as you would making a buying choice on a normal bike - find a selection of bikes that suit the riding you want to do, then look at the motors.

3. On-going maintenance/servicing. Are you handy on the tools, or do you need to go to a bike shop to sort things out? If its the later buying from a local dealer is going to be a good idea - if there is an issue with the motor or battery then being able to get someone local to sort it is going to save a lot of grief.

Interpaul

Jun 18, 2018
Edinburgh
Try Rutland Cycles...they had 2018 Focus Jam 2 with TEC pack for only a fraction more than I paid for 2017 model without TEC :rolleyes: Great bike though

My mate demoed one of these, the small battery capacity is an issue and the TEC pack whilst a good idea affects handling too much. He had to push the bike uphill 3 miles in Ballater as he was out of power after 2 hours . No TEC pack obviously. I do like the idea of making the bike lighter but reducing capacity seems too much of a compromise.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
First lets take some time to look at the dull things in life:

1. Battery Charging - do you have the ability to charge the bikes battery where you store it? If not you are going to want a battery thats easily removable so you can bring it in doors to charge. Some of the integrated batteries cannot be removed easily. Same logic applies for if you think you may be doing long rides which involve carrying a spare battery.

2. Type of bike - ignore the motors for the moment, and look at the bike as you would making a buying choice on a normal bike - find a selection of bikes that suit the riding you want to do, then look at the motors.

3. On-going maintenance/servicing. Are you handy on the tools, or do you need to go to a bike shop to sort things out? If its the later buying from a local dealer is going to be a good idea - if there is an issue with the motor or battery then being able to get someone local to sort it is going to save a lot of grief.
+1

Wise words.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
My mate demoed one of these, the small battery capacity is an issue and the TEC pack whilst a good idea affects handling too much. He had to push the bike uphill 3 miles in Ballater as he was out of power after 2 hours . No TEC pack obviously. I do like the idea of making the bike lighter but reducing capacity seems too much of a compromise.

I do over 2 hour rides on my Jam is the Peak District and its fine, I also have the TEC pack and don't really notice the weight.

If you look at the cost, 2018 Jam @ £2800, Tec pack @£450 that gives you a 756 WH bike for £3250.

You can get battery packs for other brands, but they are more expensive and the only option is to carry the pack on your back, I much prefer to have mine secure on the bike where its not going to do me any harm if I have a fall.

It's a great bike, if I was buying again i'd still get the Jam, but you need to try and ride them or at least sit on them and find the bike that's the correct fit for you.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
WOW thats cheap....I got quite a discount but not that much:sick: and now £400+ for a TEC pack...do I need it?? .....well... been too close to empty too many times.....and it is Christmas after all.:) echo the correct fit advice
Have Fun

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I was negotiating over a Focus Jam2 Factory 2018 and I managed to get a TEC pack for £301, which the sales guy had offered at cost. The deal over the 2018 went wrong but I have managed to switch the deal over to the 2019 version and I've kept the TEC pack deal. I have also got them to do a price match after the Rutland Cycling's demo day 4th Nov where they gave me a 15% off 2019 bikes (expires on 2nd Dec). I just have to wait until they make me a Jam2 now! production scheduled for Jan'19, so I'm not expecting anything until Feb.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I was negotiating over a Focus Jam2 Factory 2018 and I managed to get a TEC pack for £301, which the sales guy had offered at cost. The deal over the 2018 went wrong but I have managed to switch the deal over to the 2019 version and I've kept the TEC pack deal. I have also got them to do a price match after the Rutland Cycling's demo day 4th Nov where they gave me a 15% off 2019 bikes (expires on 2nd Dec). I just have to wait until they make me a Jam2 now! production scheduled for Jan'19, so I'm not expecting anything until Feb.
Good stuff, sounds like a great deal you have struck.

All these deals are making it very tempting to jump this year, but I really want to wait and see what Whyte come up with, whether there is a new Bosch motor in 2019 and what reviews the EZesty gets. This time next year though I have a feeling I will be raiding the piggy bank for a Black Friday bargain...

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
Good stuff, sounds like a great deal you have struck.

All these deals are making it very tempting to jump this year, but I really want to wait and see what Whyte come up with, whether there is a new Bosch motor in 2019 and what reviews the EZesty gets. This time next year though I have a feeling I will be raiding the piggy bank for a Black Friday bargain...

Love Whyte bikes as well. Any rumours yet?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
More than rumours - straight from the horses mouth (bottom of first post)...

NEC Cycle Show 2018 - mini show report - EMTB Forums
My local bike shop, who are big Whyte fans and are the main bike brand they sell, have confirmed something is in the works too. One of the guys who works there was a Levo development rider ( he had been riding the new levo round Surrey since late spring of this year, heavily disguised) so hoping he might be getting hold of something interesting soon.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
My local bike shop, who are big Whyte fans and are the main bike brand they sell, have confirmed something is in the works too. One of the guys who works there was a Levo development rider (he had been riding the new levo round Surrey since late spring of this year, heavily disguised) so hoping he might be getting hold of something interesting soon.
It does sound promising, but Whyte told me that nothing would come out til model year 2020, so late Summer next year at the earliest.

kimey467

Nov 13, 2018
boston lincs
thanks for all the helpful advice guys. im demoing some bikes on sunday so hopefully can get a deal then but it sure is a minefield out there and really hard to make a decision

Levo Lution

Oct 10, 2018
Slovakia
R120

So I went according to your 1-3 suggestions...
I end up with merida 2018 vs. Levo 2019
Merida: better components, slightly louder and weaker motor, 27,5+ (which I prefer) and 1000€ cheaper
Levo 2019: base model with a dropper post, cheaper components, quiet (if I am lucky☺) stronger motor, 29'wheels, cleaner looking bike but more expensive
LBSs sell both brands
What would be your choice?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Well firstly both motor are good in those bikes, so i wouldn't base my buying decision on that alone.

Secondly they are both good bikes, with sorted geometry etc.

This leaves you with which is the better bike for you - the spec discrepancy is only really relevant if you are riding at a level and on terrain where you will pick this up, and ultimately parts can be upgraded - you will see several memebers on her have deliberately bought base model Levo's and then replaced parts to build the bike they want, rather than buy a higher up the range model. If you are not pushing it and only really cruising around you wont notice the difference, but also on the logic you would probably go for the cheaper bike anyway.

On paper the Miranda wins out, but if i where you i would try and get a ride on each bike, and go with the one that you like the feel of.

Me it would be the Miranda because i like the shimano system, and and i also prefer an external battery/size of the shimano battery as its easy to carry a spare if going on a long ride.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
27,5+ (which I prefer)
This would be the deciding factor for me between the two bikes. Depends how much you prefer the ride characteristics of smaller wheels though.
This:
IMO is the most important decision. Spec should be secondary to this too (other than decent shock/fork) it isn't actually all that important unless there's something absolutely awful on the bike that you just couldn't live with. Mid level components and finishing kit although not fancy do their jobs incredibly well and the difference in performance/function between top level drivetrain and finishing kit and mid really isn't all that big. Tyre and grip choice are more important

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
On paper the Miranda wins out, but if i where you i would try and get a ride on each bike, and go with the one that you like the feel of.

Me it would be the Miranda because i like the shimano system, and and i also prefer an external battery/size of the shimano battery as its easy to carry a spare if going on a long ride.
Who's Miranda?!! ;):D

B

bruce prator

I got a 2018 levo and a pivot. Both have advantages and disadvantages. The pivot motor surges and if not careful will loop out, the levo is more casual. The levo has more power. Because of the huge reach I ride a pivot med. and the levo has to have a lg. size. I don't notice the wt. difference cause I don't jump or bunney hop much I just plow through stuff asI'm 74 years young. I use them for trail work as they are the best thing to get to wind(snow) fall on trails as this year I've cut out over 320 trees in 27 miles of trail here in Oakridge Or. What is your take in YT industries decoy bike and their support? That's my next buy maybe but they don't get to good of reviews for support.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles