Decent helmet?

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
I’ve been looking at getting a decent mountain bike helmet as mine is a but old now and now really a Mtb type. I wanted a POC Tectal Race SPIN but no one has a medium anymore and according to poc they won’t until next year.

Should I wait or is there any other decent one I should look at?

Thanks

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Bell Super, with or without the chin piece - your choice.
Because I already had a FF helmet, I chose the Bell Super without the chin piece. It fits well, has lots of adjustment, provides loads of protection, is very comfy and I think it looks good. Comes in loads of colour designs.

It is also durable. It gets dunked in the washing up bowl after every ride for a good sluicing with clean water to remove the sweat from the pads. I've had it for about three years now, maybe longer. Once it finally gets a crack or a big dent, or delaminates, then I'd definitely buy another one. :love:

JaySal

Sep 23, 2019
Todwick
I’ve been looking at getting a decent mountain bike helmet as mine is a but old now and now really a Mtb type. I wanted a POC Tectal Race SPIN but no one has a medium anymore and according to poc they won’t until next year.

Should I wait or is there any other decent one I should look at?

Thanks
I bought this last week:

Giro Switchblade MIPS Helmet mat lime/black at Bikester.co.uk

Just seemed like I'd get more use as I can pop the front on and off if I get adventurous and it seemed a good price. I'm past caring if I look cool when your down to your last few brain cells it's time to protect them.

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
I've just swapped to a fox dropframe. No MIPS. However I will admit, I did struggle to find the colour I wanted in a medium though.. All the LBS's I asked, said that they didn't know when there next batch would be arriving. What I liked was having the option of different pads, to get it fitting, super comfy.

Personally, I wouldn't use a Bell again. However that's the beauty of having multiple choices.. (y)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I use a Smith Session. Was about the only helmet I could find that didn't make me look a d!ck..

Another vote in that Direction.. Smiths Forefront 2. Wanted something which actually had a "crumple zone" after bad concussion.

Most people think I've badly parked and I'm farming for worms, so I don't really have to worry about looking a d1ck or not.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
For me it is a Bell - currently a Sixer. That is based on helmet shape for my head. Have never found a comfortable Giro and have tried Fox as well as a few others without much luck.

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
this used to be so much easier on motorbikes.... Arai all the way.

liking the look of the Smiths just need to find some to try on.

thanks

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Buying a helmet is as much about what brand fits you as anything else - I would never buy a helmet without trying it on first, and worth going to a decent shop that know their onions to help you with that.

There are now lots of good performing and good looking helmets out there.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I’ve retired my Swichblade as it’s looking a bit battered and replaced it with a Fox Proframe for big days out and an On One Enduro for general riding.

After a couple of rides I stopped taking the chin bar off so the lighter, cheaper (half RRP from CRC) Proframe was a no-brainier to replace it.

I bought the On One for shits and giggles for £13.99 inc delivery on the basis that it’ll do as a loaner if I didn’t like it. As it happens it fits like a glove so I’ll be buying another when the time comes to replace it.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
Most helmets don't fit my odd shaped head. I find most push in on my temples. I have the POC non spin and after slamming into a tree with the side of my head I can recommend the quality of the non spin version

20190914_164352.jpg

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
I have a thin head, my Specialized Ambush Angi fits a treat. Nice and light, MIPS, well vented (and easy to wear a cap under when cold), no stupid mushroom head.

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
As I have got older... risk management becomes more important (i.e I value my teeth for example) so my current helmet is a Fox ProFrame. It is fantastic and light. It was a bit pricy though I seem to remember, but my face & teeth preservation prevail and so a full face is a must for me. Ignore my avatar picture as that was my previous helmet (before anyone mentions it!)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I use a Smith Session. Was about the only helmet I could find that didn't make me look a d!ck..
Not looking like a dick is very important. If you believe that you look like a dick, there is less chance that you will wear the helmet.
When I went to buy my first bike helmet (2008), I was prepared to pay up to £80. I went into Evans Cycles because they had scores and scores of helmets. All except one either did not fit or I looked like a dick. The one I bought cost me £28, a Met "something". It was an XC helmet, because the only choice you had then was either a full face helmet, a roadie helmet, or an XC mtb helmet (a roadie helmet with a peak).

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Not looking like a dick is very important. If you believe that you look like a dick, there is less chance that you will wear the helmet.

Personally, protection comes first over how I look .

This is my winter over suit. Keeps my upper body dry, keeps your head and helmet dry, we all like a dry helmet. Adds extra protection through the torso, hips and legs on top of my body armour and provides excellent knee and shin protection unlike anything I've found elsewhere.

bikesuit.jpeg

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I tried the Fox Drop frame, but it just didn't fit my head shape.
I have had a Giro Chronicle for a year and it has been excellent, light comfy, well ventilated and MIPS for a good price.
I wanted a change though and after seeing Fabien Barel wearing the Urge Enduromatic 2 gave it a go.
Really happy with it.
It's a £130 helmet MIPS helmet that is available for around £70, only problem is the MIPS version only comes in the Factory colour which is White, Red and silver.
Wiggle | Urge Endur-O-Matic 2 MIPS Helmet | Helmets

JaySal

Sep 23, 2019
Todwick
I tried the Fox Drop frame, but it just didn't fit my head shape.
I have had a Giro Chronicle for a year and it has been excellent, light comfy, well ventilated and MIPS for a good price.
I wanted a change though and after seeing Fabien Barel wearing the Urge Enduromatic 2 gave it a go.
Really happy with it.
It's a £130 helmet MIPS helmet that is available for around £70, only problem is the MIPS version only comes in the Factory colour which is White, Red and silver.
Wiggle | Urge Endur-O-Matic 2 MIPS Helmet | Helmets
Followed your link, have to admit I think that looks brilliant.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Most helmets don't fit my odd shaped head. I find most push in on my temples. I have the POC non spin and after slamming into a tree with the side of my head I can recommend the quality of the non spin version

Hey men there’s a japanese brand, OGK Kabuto, that made helmets for Asian heads ... even if you’re not Asian maybe your head is

Just take a look

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles