Custom Nicolai with Shimano motor and backpack battery

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
This popped up in my Youtube feed - its particularly interesting as firstly all Nicolai's off the shelf EMTBs use the Bosch system, and secondly because there is no battery on the bike, this is designed to have the battery in a backpack, and also because it shows Nicolai are willing to custom build something like this for a customer.

Now I am not really a fan of riding with a battery in your back pack due to the weigh, and I have to think what happens if you come off and your are effectively tethered to the bike, but I would still love to have a go on it as removing that amount of weight from the bike must make for quite a machine.

Screenshot 2019-06-30 at 22.03.44.png

Feb 5, 2019
Wales
As you point out, it’s the wrong type of way to go about reducing the weight. I remember on EMBN they had that race with Olly Wilkins carrying extra dead weight, and I think that proves my point: I think it’s better if you have the weight doing something (which I think it is by improving the centre of gravity on the bike not being on your shoulders, helping on the descents). I don’t even like giving something like this oxygen.

If you’re used to carrying a spare, there’s that. The battery is how much in Wh?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Its the standard 504wh Shimano battery in the backpack - I have done rides carrying a spare in my backpack, which has a specific battery holder, and whilst its ok for XC its not great for proper trail riding.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
As you point out, it’s the wrong type of way to go about reducing the weight. I remember on EMBN they had that race with Olly Wilkins carrying extra dead weight, and I think that proves my point: I think it’s better if you have the weight doing something (which I think it is by improving the centre of gravity on the bike not being on your shoulders, helping on the descents). I don’t even like giving something like this oxygen.
Completely agree - I can only see negatives to this arrangement, not least the safety one. Yes our LiFe batteries are safer than Lipos, but I still wouldn't choose to carry 3kg of lithium on my back before whizzing down a tree lined trail if I didn't have to! An ebike with no battery on the bike is a solution looking for a problem...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles