Custom eMTB Lite mode

Voluptua

Oct 4, 2020
United Kingdom
Although the bike I borrowed at my local shop had the 2021 85Nm upgrade, it didn't have the eMTB Lite mode, so I don't know if it's retro-possible. You'd think it was a firmware thing - the original eMTB mode was a retro-fit back in 2017.

It does sound attractive: I like the variable assistance of the eMTB mode, but as the minimum support is Tour-equivalent, there's nowhere to go down except into bare Eco.

JimBo

E*POWAH Elite
Jan 3, 2019
Western MA, USA
My 2017 Haibike Allmtn 8.0 rips through its 500Wh battery in 15-20 miles using EMTB mode on my steep "backyard" trails ... I'd LOVE a lighter variable assist mode!

By contrast, my Shimano e8000-powered Commencal gets 25+ miles per 500Wh charge using its variable assist "Trail" mode on the same trails... I definitely get more of a workout with this bike, though.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
It sounds like a good thing, as I think that EMTB mode is too eager to give turbo levels of assistance, and as a consequence runs the battery down too quick.

An emtb lite mode sounds like it might be the answer.

of course the real answer is for bosch to allow us to create our own modes , it cant be that hard, wonder if its in their roadmap for the current motors?

Until then I'll just use mostly tour and eco depending on the steepness of hill in order to give longer battery life.

JimBo

E*POWAH Elite
Jan 3, 2019
Western MA, USA
It sounds like a good thing, as I think that EMTB mode is too eager to give turbo levels of assistance, and as a consequence runs the battery down too quick.

An emtb lite mode sounds like it might be the answer.

of course the real answer is for bosch to allow us to create our own modes , it cant be that hard, wonder if its in their roadmap for the current motors?

Until then I'll just use mostly tour and eco depending on the steepness of hill in order to give longer battery life.
Well put: "...to eager to give turbo..." This tendency also makes my riding experience feel much more "motorized" than the e8000's Trail mode. Same with Yamaha's STD mode, which IMO has a variable assist effect similar to Trail.

When I want to get more range from my CX-equipped Haibike, I will also drop to Tour and Eco, but that defeats one of the EMTB mode's main purposes - to "set and forget."

Pan

Oct 27, 2020
Qué. Canada
Hi all,

pls find below what i got from a chat with trek usa:

in short lite emtb will replace tour mode if you do the upgrade and will give 140 to 250% support, Standard emtb gives 140-340%. Sonit is just a cutoff of the top support.

As the update to lite would cancel tour mode i do not see a significant difference between lite and std emtb to justify the update. Would personally prefer to drop turbo mode rather than tour or even drop turbo to have both emtb options. Then again being able to adjust power delivery of each option would be total winner. Anyone whant to bet this will happen down the line ?

Hello,
the level of support in eMTB Lite mode goes from 140% - 250%
it will depend on rider input

Can hese levels be adjusted to lets say 100-150% ?

Josh unfortunately not, those levels are programmed by Bosch is my understanding

and the emtb mode (not lite) goes from 120 to 300 ?

Josh140% to 340% per Bosch

and the tour mode is 120 right ?

Josh ok
tour is 120%
eco is 55%

Good tks, one last question; does the update delete the tour mode or is there a gain of an option ?

Josh it replaces tour mode

thats a pitty ! Thanks for the chat. Suggest you let bosh know that an ajustable lite mode would be nice. Cheers !

datonetti

Jun 9, 2020
Lodi, ca 95240
what is the version # for the Trek eMTB Lite mode? I had my MY2020 updated with ver. 1.1.2.0 at a local Trek LBS, they were oblivious to the availabilty of the Trek eMTB Lite mode.

Pan

Oct 27, 2020
Qué. Canada
From what i understand in the last update (75 to 85 n/m) there is a box to be checked to choose to Update tour mode to emtb lite. My dealer had not seen that option either in the update. On the screen tour mode remains what is identified for that mode

Pan

Oct 27, 2020
Qué. Canada
Had the update done took 5 minutes....testing on the weekend. From the tour around the block feels interesting. Anybody else tested the EMTB lite mode yet ?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
FFS! I wish I'd seen this last week. I was at my LBS last Saturday but I didn't take my bike because I didn't know about this new mode. Arse! ?

Pan

Oct 27, 2020
Qué. Canada
Had a short ride today with a non asisted partner. In slow mooving relatively easy conditions the lite mode felt much better to me than the full emtb mode. Need to keep testing the lite mode but got a feeling i will use it more than std emtb. It is very fluid but did get a bit surprised by an unexpected power jolt now and then. Mind you this is only my 11 th run on a ebike.

As of now i would prefer having access to both the straight (old) tour mode and lite emtb thus dropping the full emtb if i had the choice. In that situation would keep turbo. Then again could drop turbo as that power level is accessible through std emtb mode. Hope to have the chance to do these choices some day.

emtb lite is definitely worth to be tried. Look forward to reviews on it.

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
Had my 9.8XT for a week, got 4 rides in so far. In my opinion Bosch have got their modes in completely the wrong places with regular eMTB really overcompensating, anyone with even half decent legs will be effectively riding everywhere in turbo ?

Anyway, loving the new eMTB Lite mode, it feels more suitable than the regular eMTB for most situations and dosen't nuke the battery so much. Saying that, i'd much rather prefer to have eco/tour/eMTB Lite/turbo.

Bosch if you're paying attention at all, let us tweak our own modes. Like everyone else can. As users we are at the whim of what the manufacturer sees fit. It's archaic that even with a bluetooth connected kiox display I can't alter the assistance levels available to me.

Seraye

Sep 8, 2020
Portland
Had a short ride today with a non asisted partner. In slow mooving relatively easy conditions the lite mode felt much better to me than the full emtb mode. Need to keep testing the lite mode but got a feeling i will use it more than std emtb. It is very fluid but did get a bit surprised by an unexpected power jolt now and then. Mind you this is only my 11 th run on a ebike.

As of now i would prefer having access to both the straight (old) tour mode and lite emtb thus dropping the full emtb if i had the choice. In that situation would keep turbo. Then again could drop turbo as that power level is accessible through std emtb mode. Hope to have the chance to do these choices some day.

emtb lite is definitely worth to be tried. Look forward to reviews on it.
Very interested in an emtb lite mode update, but just to verify - if I Get this then I will have eco, emtb lite, emtb, and turbo? (So I will have 2 dynamic modes)? Any more rides since this post? Like it still? Does the lite mode significantly increase battery life? Thank you!

Tony Bonanno

Nov 2, 2020
Santa Fe, NM USA
Had the Lite EMTB mode update put on my 2020 Rail 5 several days ago. Have only had a chance to ride about 40 miles since installing it. I LIKE IT so far. It just makes the bike seem a bit more in tune with the terrain I ride in (rail trails and hills, but not much technical stuff). Battery does seem to be good for longer range (I check the remaining range at the end of my ride). I used to ride mostly in the regular ETMB mode, but now I'm using just the lite mode most of the time. BTW, the mode still says "Tour" on my Purion display, but you can really feel the difference. For what I do, I think it has been a good update.

Last edited:

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Had mine updated recently to the lite mode.
For me this is now the goldie locks mode.
Perfect amount of assistance when required and has made the battery last longer.
Haven't run it flat yet, but did 28 miles with 3500ft elevation and still had 2 bars left ?

JMD

Jul 26, 2019
Staffordshire
Had mine updated recently to the lite mode.
For me this is now the goldie locks mode.
Perfect amount of assistance when required and has made the battery last longer.
Haven't run it flat yet, but did 28 miles with 3500ft elevation and still had 2 bars left ?
Can't find details of this mode on Bosch website, do you know the assistance% & motor torque of emtb lite, also is it a extra mode gain or do you have to lose another mode?

TR5_20

Nov 22, 2020
Scotland
This is interesting. My update was done in October at the bike’s ‘first service’ and the next ride I was on it definitely felt different but because the Rail is my first Emtb, and it was all still a bit new to me, I thought it was maybe my imagination.

The range has definitely improved - and my Purion still shows Eco, Tour, EMTB, Turbo.

The shop hadn’t explained what the update was, just that they’d installed it.
As I mentioned in another thread, it would be useful if Bosch provided a changelog for these updates so we all knew what was happening.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Can't find details of this mode on Bosch website, do you know the assistance% & motor torque of emtb lite, also is it a extra mode gain or do you have to lose another mode?
It is on the trek website but they just goes over it.
You lose tour mode and emtb lite is in its place.
Guesstimate on assistant levels I'd say is just above eco at lowest and just above tour at highest.
It works really well and is more battery efficient than tour was.

Reactions: JMD

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
This is interesting. My update was done in October at the bike’s ‘first service’ and the next ride I was on it definitely felt different but because the Rail is my first Emtb, and it was all still a bit new to me, I thought it was maybe my imagination.

The range has definitely improved - and my Purion still shows Eco, Tour, EMTB, Turbo.

The shop hadn’t explained what the update was, just that they’d installed it.
As I mentioned in another thread, it would be useful if Bosch provided a changelog for these updates so we all knew what was happening.
The dealer has to tick the emtb lite mode in a box on the Bosch computer, because the software can be updated with or without it.
If you've got it you'll definitely know as tour is now the same feeling as emtb mode, just not as strong

Seraye

Sep 8, 2020
Portland
Contacted Trek and they say the Assistance is 140 to 250% so it’s just off the top. And it just replaces Tour mode

Reactions: JMD

TR5_20

Nov 22, 2020
Scotland
The dealer has to tick the emtb lite mode in a box on the Bosch computer, because the software can be updated with or without it.
If you've got it you'll definitely know as tour is now the same feeling as emtb mode, just not as strong
Okay, thanks for that.

I see the Trek site says, Tour=eMTB Lite, so I wonder if any future Purion firmware update will reflect that instead of showing 'Tour'.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Did they say what the max torque is? Tour mode is 50Nm.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles