Cushcore + New Tire Installation?

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I had to go directly to the Maxxis website to find it in EXO+. BUT... since I already have one in EXO on the shelf, would it not be better to run it with a Cush Core than to run an EXO+ without? I'm about ready to order another Cush Core.
For sure. EXO+ isn't that much different to EXO, eg 100gm difference for 27.5 x 2.4 tyre? I don't know about cushcore, but even dd or dh casing isn't going to match my exo and tannus. The beauty of tannus is that it goes all the way round giving better damping and feel on the heavier bike (like dd or dh I imagine). I choose the lighter weight exo casing because anything else is just unnecessary extra weight. I will go exo+ on the front when I need to replace that tyre; no insert needed there it seems.

RobG

Apr 27, 2022
Fulltime RV
It's been a while but figured I'd update. I got a whole new wheelset and put new tires on it... the Assegai EXO+ front and DHR II EXO rear, and used a Cushcore in the rear. Installation was NOT all that hard. I did watch that video that was linked here in this thread. It got me started, and from there I adapted his ideas to my own and got it done.

Question -- the front tire isn't holding air all that well. The rear is doing fine. Should I add more sealant to the front, or do I need to remove the tire, scrape out the old, and then put in new?

RobG

Apr 27, 2022
Fulltime RV
Thanks. As I live in a small RV with no bathtub, I may have to just go with the more sealant approach.

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
Thanks. As I live in a small RV with no bathtub, I may have to just go with the more sealant approach.

Have you ridden it yet? Sometimes a new set up just needs a decent ride to get the sealant properly distributed.

RobG

Apr 27, 2022
Fulltime RV
I have ridden it; in fact i just went out to check the tire pressures, and actually both tires are like within a tenth of a psi of where they were when I last set them two days ago. Nice, maybe I don't have a problem anymore. (knock on wood -- maybe that fallen tree across the trail)

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
I have ridden it; in fact i just went out to check the tire pressures, and actually both tires are like within a tenth of a psi of where they were when I last set them two days ago. Nice, maybe I don't have a problem anymore. (knock on wood -- maybe that fallen tree across the trail)
Sealant can take a few days to bounce into all the spots required. Should be right now that it is holding.

oronzus

Jan 24, 2023
Italy
Installed cushcore front and rear on yt decoy after several rides on it without inserts.

My experience:

1) install was pretty easy especially compared to moto. I cheated and used a Motion pro bead buddy two and used the cushcore tool.

Hi skinipenem \ all.

New here, just a mtbiker looking for info on the bead buddy tools.

Which bead buddy did you use? The "trail or the "2"?

Being metal did you scuff the rims?

Has anybody else done this?

Cheers

1674553334963.png

1674553340588.png

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Hi skinipenem \ all.

New here, just a mtbiker looking for info on the bead buddy tools.

Which bead buddy did you use? The "trail or the "2"?

Being metal did you scuff the rims?

Has anybody else done this?

Cheers

View attachment 105104
View attachment 105105
Those tools look like they are for motorbike wheels. You shouldn't have any problem putting the Cushcore ON the wheel if you follow the instructional videos and keep pushing the bead into the center of the rim. You might want to get a Cushcore Bead Dropper to get the tire OFF the wheel as it can take some effort to break the seal to release the tire bead from the rim. I never use any metal tools on a rim!
Bead Dropper - Cushcore

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
Dinged my Rail stock back rim good tonight - time to fit that Big Betty DH and ditch the stock rubber.
Is there much less protection with a DH casing than a lightweight casing and an insert? Better grip and feel with an insert?

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Dinged my Rail stock back rim good tonight - time to fit that Big Betty DH and ditch the stock rubber.
Is there much less protection with a DH casing than a lightweight casing and an insert? Better grip and feel with an insert?
There are several variables at play. Where do you ride? What tire pressure do you like to run? How did you ding your rim (square edge hit/ random rock, etc)? I run inserts with EXO+ casings on my all mountain bike and inserts with DH casings at Whistler. I weigh 190 lbs and run F:18 and R20 PSI and don't worry about dinging a rim. YMMV.

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
Thanks KB. It’s a random rock situation here in NZ, rather than continuous rock geology unless I’m in Central Otago where that terrain is more common. I weigh 98kg in gear and I try not to slam rocks, but sometimes it’s hard to avoid when jumping off a feature. My Rail is my first electric mtb so I’m just getting to grips with its frailties… (haven’t wrecked many rims on my mtbs, but these ebikes are heavy, and tend to find every hole on a trail). Usually I run 28psi on the rear and 22up front, maybe a couple less on damp trails

oronzus

Jan 24, 2023
Italy
Those tools look like they are for motorbike wheels. You shouldn't have any problem putting the Cushcore ON the wheel if you follow the instructional videos and keep pushing the bead into the center of the rim. You might want to get a Cushcore Bead Dropper to get the tire OFF the wheel as it can take some effort to break the seal to release the tire bead from the rim. I never use any metal tools on a rim!
Bead Dropper - Cushcore
Cushcore is easy, try a new tannus ad a new wire bead tire ;)

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
I installed cushcore and it was kind of a pain.. But after getting it all installed I found out my rim tape was bad.. ahhh..

I was shocked at how easier it went the second time. Since the tire and cushcore already were a bit stretched. Then I went onto my front tire and started to struggle again. So I removed the cushcore, installed the tire, waited a day, and tried again and it was super easier.

I really like cushcore - I like to run a lower PSI in one of the trail centres that I ride the most in. I find it really helps with grip

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles