Cushcore + New Tire Installation?

RobG

Apr 27, 2022
Fulltime RV
I ordered a cushcore for my rear wheel... I also ordered new tires F/R. For tubeless, do I need to install the rear tire without the core first, add sealant and give it a few days to do its thing, then remove the tire, and install the cushcore? Or is there another way to do it?

Thanks.

Rob

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Heaps of videos on youtube. Add the sealant after like normal either from the side or valve. I didn't find the cushcore difficult to work with just the new tyre but depends on your rim some make it very easy & others harder

Pedal-Man

Feb 5, 2022
USA
I ordered a cushcore for my rear wheel... I also ordered new tires F/R. For tubeless, do I need to install the rear tire without the core first, add sealant and give it a few days to do its thing, then remove the tire, and install the cushcore? Or is there another way to do it?

Thanks.

Rob
Cushcore is great and all, but a huge PITA if you still get a slice while on the ride! Running a thicker casing tire like a Double Down or Black Diamond offers similar results without the BS of Cushcore IMHO.

For install when I used to use it...What I did was mount the dry tire on the rim firsthand air up and seat both beads....next, break only 1 side of the tire off the bead of the rim, insert the CC on that side, fill with sealant, align the valve and reseat the tire, and fill up accordingly.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Cushcore is great and all, but a huge PITA if you still get a slice while on the ride! Running a thicker casing tire like a Double Down or Black Diamond offers similar results without the BS of Cushcore IMHO.

For install when I used to use it...What I did was mount the dry tire on the rim firsthand air up and seat both beads....next, break only 1 side of the tire off the bead of the rim, insert the CC on that side, fill with sealant, align the valve and reseat the tire, and fill up accordingly.

What is the point of seating both beads if you are going to break one bead completely off to put the Cushcore on? I think the most difficult part about putting Cushcore onto a wheel is getting it on the rim the first time. The install video explains it well. Find a big plastic garbage can to rest the wheel on while you work the tire bead on to the rim and its not that difficult.

Last edited:

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden

Tires with DD casing still roll worse than a for example maxxterra exo with cushcore, but yes it is a pain in the a*s to install.

Jhagst

Dec 31, 2021
California Bay Area
I like it for the back wheel. First time is a pain to install, it’s a learning curve. It gives me a piece of mind when I’m miles away from the car.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
There was so much negativity towards cushcore that I canceled the order.
You should have watched the video. His method was perfect (the effort will depend on the thickness of your sidewalls) and gave several examples of when Cushcore would be useful. I would never use EXO tires for the type of riding I do. EXO+ minimum. I have never tried Cushcore on DH tires wire beads. You will find there can be a lot of people who think they know what they are talking about about on these forums and maybe they do but they often neglect to give any context to their style of riding. Your desire to improve your ride should not be limited by a little research and a bit of work. People ride different trails and for different reasons. You must have had a reason to want to install Cushcore on both front and back wheels in the first place.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
There was so much negativity towards cushcore that I canceled the order.
Could you be more specific what was the issue?

Had zero issues with them. The 2022 ordered were a little tighter to get on wheel than 2020. Lot's of installation difficulty depends on wheter you have wirebead DH-tire or something more lighter.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Tires with DD casing still roll worse than a for example maxxterra exo with cushcore
I'm surprised you find that. The base exo seems too pliable for emtb use, especially on the rear. They are so pliable (light walled) that they need higher pressures to protect the rim and sidewalls. I use exo with a tannus insert on the rear - that combo feels much better. If I didn't use a tannus, I'd want stiffer sidewalls. I see exo as something designed for mtb, not emtb. I do run exo on the front though. I'm no big hitter; I ride a 140 /130 mm trail bike. I am learning smaller jumps and drops though.

As an aside, wouldn't tannus be better than cushcore? It seems to have an obvious advantage.

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
It’s really is that easy. The video shows some techniques that are helpful but I use a few different steps when installing a cushcore. New tires take a bit more work then a used tire.
On a Bontrager wheel there may be a plastic insert. Remove that and properly apply rim tape. Doing this will allow a bit more needed room. Use the Cush Core valve. I use the Cush Core tire levers (I have 2, only need 1). Sometimes soapy water helps to ease the lever around to get the bead further into the channel. Use the hand technique along with the lever technique to push the bead further into the channel. (Patience, you may have to do this several times for a new tire). The final remaining bead usually takes 1-2 tire lever twists. When it’s in, do the other side the same way.
At this point I usually inflate the tire and set both beads. (40psi ?). Remove the valve and all the air and add the correct amount of sealant. Re-inflate to 30-40psi, roll the tire around for a while, check for any any air leaks with soapy water. Install your tire and go for a ride. Check for any leaks again then set your preferred tire pressure (4-10psi less is needed with a Cush Core installed).
Full disclosure; I don’t use any inserts but the feedback I’ve received from friends and family (6 so far) has been very good. All of them have noticed a significant improvement of grip on all types of terrain.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
I'm surprised you find that. The base exo seems too pliable for emtb use, especially on the rear. They are so pliable (light walled) that they need higher pressures to protect the rim and sidewalls. I use exo with a tannus insert on the rear - that combo feels much better. If I didn't use a tannus, I'd want stiffer sidewalls. I see exo as something designed for mtb, not emtb. I do run exo on the front though. I'm no big hitter; I ride a 140 /130 mm trail bike. I am learning smaller jumps and drops though.

As an aside, wouldn't tannus be better than cushcore? It seems to have an obvious advantage.

I changed from assegai maxxgripp dd front and rear to assegai maxxterra exo with cushcore pro and now the bike roll much better.

I understand how you think and . But a lot of enduro pros run the exo casing so even if the walls are papper thin they are strong to hold hard riding. Sure they dont have bikes that weight 24 kg but they ride moore agressive and harder.

I havent rear so much about tannus inserts so i cant tell.

skinipenem

Apr 9, 2022
skinipenem
Installed cushcore front and rear on yt decoy after several rides on it without inserts.

My experience:

1) install was pretty easy especially compared to moto. I cheated and used a Motion pro bead buddy two and used the cushcore tool. Watch the cushcore video. I did it on the kitchen table.

2) bike is more planted. Less deflection. Consequently lost some tire Rebound. Playing with tire pressure now. Rode 27/24 in the bike park (jumps and tech) and 25/22 xc on the stock maxxis exo+ No issues; however, the rear at 25 felt a little soft... need to experiment more. Never felt the your laterally roll or fold. Never burped. Bike goes fast. Friends commenting on how much the bike visibly hugged the trail. Some of the trail love was purposeful by me having a significant amount of hsr on board for some forgiveness on landing jumps. Only second time in the park this year having only ridden mototrials and medium hard Enduro the past several years.

3) the rolling weight is noticeable. The e assist pretty much overcomes any acceleration lag, but it is slower for pedaling. The wheels have a little more gyroscope effect creating a nice balance railing the tops of the berms.

Installing them on my wife's bike in the very near future.. maybe tonight.

To each his own though. A former pro Enduro and dh racer friend of mine who prefers higher pressures than me runs a procore in the rear only. He can smash corners like nobodies business though. Different level.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
changed from assegai maxxgripp dd front and rear to assegai maxxterra exo with cushcore pro and now the bike roll much better.
I think exo is awesome with an insert. They are light weight and don't need the heavy sidewalls with an insert. I thought you were preferring exo without inserts. I just re read your post - yes, I agree with you of course. The other bonus is exo are cheaper and it's probably more environmental not throwing away as much rubber etc when the tyre is worn out. My insert will outlive quite a few tyres.

Tannus does the same as cushcore as well as protection from most external punctures. It isn't tubeless though. I run it with a light weight and smaller size inner tube.

Last edited:

RobG

Apr 27, 2022
Fulltime RV
Well now I'm more confused. So it sounds like I have to have a cushcore to run the EXO in the rear... as there is no EXO+ in the Minion DHR II. OR, I return that tire and exchange it for another Assegai which does come in EXO+ (and I have for the front). I haven't installed anything yet; I actually decided to order a new wheelset so I'm waiting on those.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Well now I'm more confused. So it sounds like I have to have a cushcore to run the EXO in the rear... as there is no EXO+ in the Minion DHR II. OR, I return that tire and exchange it for another Assegai which does come in EXO+ (and I have for the front). I haven't installed anything yet; I actually decided to order a new wheelset so I'm waiting on those.
Once again, start of with your intended purpose (XC or Enduro?) and type of terrain you will be riding (rooty loam, chunky lose sharp rocks or single track) pick a tire based on that. I run Minion DHR II EXO+ Maxxterra with Cushcore on the rear with an Assagai 3C DD MaxxGrip with Cushcore on the front at 22/20 PSI. I ride a mix of rooty and rocky on loam, and long slabs rocks type trails in Squamish and Whistler. What wheelset did you order?

1500.jpg

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
Sheesh, all this hand wringing and fretting over cushcore install. You’d think it’s like climbing Mt. Everest! It‘s just not all that difficult. Once CC is on the rim the key is to start opposite the valve and keep pushing the tire bead deep into the rim channel with a tire lever as you work your way around from both directions. Finish by prying the bead over the rim with levers at the valve if necessary. No biggie.

RobG

Apr 27, 2022
Fulltime RV
This is what I ordered... a custom set from The Lost Co. I ended up having to get a new cassette because the old one wouldn't work with the new hubs, and thus the current derailleur wouldn't work either. I had been considering upgrading those anyway, so just as well.

I'm prepared to order up another cushcore (or two); I just need to know that they'll work. As for my riding conditions, it will vary considerably, as I travel fulltime in my RV (I work remote). Right now I'm in Montana, so lots of loam, tree roots and some rocks. But in the winter, it'll be desert areas with lots of loose, sharp rocks, etc. Singletrack whenever possible. Bike parks eventually. I suppose Enduro more than XC, but I've been liking the term, "All Mountain."

In the last couple weeks, I've changed my rear shock to a Fox Float DPS Performance (all the "better" ones were all out of stock) and a Zeb Ultimate (2022 model; it was on sale). Huge improvement all around.

Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 9.38.13 AM.jpg

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN

You and the internet is making it too complicated. Just buy it, install it, ride it.

I have Cushcores with Michelin DH34 in my other bike and didn't ask a thing from Internet. Seems to work.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
I use Cushcore pro front and rear with assegai maxxterra exo and it is no problem.

But I think i am gonna take out the cushcore in the front beacuse i dont like the understeering feeling.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
This is what I ordered... a custom set from The Lost Co. I ended up having to get a new cassette because the old one wouldn't work with the new hubs, and thus the current derailleur wouldn't work either. I had been considering upgrading those anyway, so just as well.

I'm prepared to order up another cushcore (or two); I just need to know that they'll work. As for my riding conditions, it will vary considerably, as I travel fulltime in my RV (I work remote). Right now I'm in Montana, so lots of loam, tree roots and some rocks. But in the winter, it'll be desert areas with lots of loose, sharp rocks, etc. Singletrack whenever possible. Bike parks eventually. I suppose Enduro more than XC, but I've been liking the term, "All Mountain."

In the last couple weeks, I've changed my rear shock to a Fox Float DPS Performance (all the "better" ones were all out of stock) and a Zeb Ultimate (2022 model; it was on sale). Huge improvement all around.

View attachment 91463
We have a similar wheel setup on our Levo SLs and have had no issues (EX511 front and rear). Some would argue there is no need for a 12 speed setup as it just adds to the cost. Enduro vs, All mountain implies the emphasis is on the DH part. I probably only use 7 gears on my bike but I don't do XC. Depending on which bike you are riding, how much you weigh, which trails you are mostly riding, how aggressive you are on the bike and what tire pressure you prefer, some would say to put a Assagai DD MaxxGrip on the front without Cushcore if you are changing tires a lot and find it frustrating. It does get pretty easy after you have done it a bunch of times!

RobG

Apr 27, 2022
Fulltime RV
I had to go directly to the Maxxis website to find it in EXO+. BUT... since I already have one in EXO on the shelf, would it not be better to run it with a Cush Core than to run an EXO+ without? I'm about ready to order another Cush Core.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I had to go directly to the Maxxis website to find it in EXO+. BUT... since I already have one in EXO on the shelf, would it not be better to run it with a Cush Core than to run an EXO+ without? I'm about ready to order another Cush Core.

I wouldn't run a rear wheel without Cushcore no matter which tire I was using. EXO+ has thicker side walls for better protection against slicing but I like them because they are stiffer. I am going to try a DHR II DD on the next time I swap out tires. Depending on the air pressure you run and how aggressive you corner, you may not notice the difference. If you have it, try it!

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
Once again, start of with your intended purpose (XC or Enduro?) and type of terrain you will be riding (rooty loam, chunky lose sharp rocks or single track) pick a tire based on that. I run Minion DHR II EXO+ Maxxterra with Cushcore on the rear with an Assagai 3C DD MaxxGrip with Cushcore on the front at 22/20 PSI. I ride a mix of rooty and rocky on loam, and long slabs rocks type trails in Squamish and Whistler. What wheelset did you order?

View attachment 91458
I just noticed your pic in this post. What bike is that? Looks amazing.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I just noticed your pic in this post. What bike is that? Looks amazing.
Thanks! Its a mulletted Kenevo SL in stealth mode. I am still not convinced I can ride it $6,000 better than the Levo SL I have been riding for the past couple of years but as I keep telling my wife, the more I spend on it, the better IT has to get!

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
Thanks! Its a mulletted Kenevo SL in stealth mode. I am still not convinced I can ride it $6,000 better than the Levo SL I have been riding for the past couple of years but as I keep telling my wife, the more I spend on it, the better IT has to get!
I thought the frame looked familiar and too straight for a knolly. I hadn't heard of knolly going eeb yet, but I did get excited for a moment.

100% those upgrades will make everything faster, because science. At least that's what the marketing teams tell us.

Really nice looking set up though.👌

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles