Cush Core - would you recommened?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Just getting prepared for 6 days in the Alps riding the Trans Savoie.

I got a set of Cushcore for the Levo.

Anyone running these with Schwalbe Super Gravity / Super Trail Big Betty and Magic Mary combo?

Thinking that Super Gravity and cushcore may be overkill?

0591FC49-99EE-4F04-860A-E6161A78D661.jpeg

Elover

Feb 5, 2020
Chelmsford
Mate has cushcore, but we all run vitoria inserrts now... Easy to fit, more support... 5 of us ran these in the lakes and no flats, twinned with eddy currents.. Considering iv ridden over 25 years in the lakes on every bije, tyre and tube this has been the 1st puncture free trip!!!

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Riding that exact combo with Cushcore right now. I've been a fan of Cushcore with every tire I've used it with, and don't feel it's overkill for the Big Betty/Magic Mary combo for the trails I ride in Western Canada. I don't think there's much to lose on an ebike? Maybe a bit of battery life?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Riding that exact combo with Cushcore right now. I've been a fan of Cushcore with every tire I've used it with, and don't feel it's overkill for the Big Betty/Magic Mary combo for the trails I ride in Western Canada. I don't think there's much to lose on an ebike? Maybe a bit of battery life?
You using super gravity casings?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I just installed a set of Cushcore Pro on Big Betty 2.6 / Magic Mary 2.6 both in Super Trail casing.

I’ve a set of Super Gravity on the at way also. Not sure if I’ll use them?

I wouldn’t normally bother with inserts where I ride, but the event I’m doing - Trans Savoie, the organisers have said to use DH tyres, within inserts if possible for the Rocky sections.

There’s 20,000 metres of descending so can’t be doing with fecked tyres!

D41A34EA-C378-4FAD-B4A1-0A166A3BC391.jpeg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
For your trip I'd definitely fit the Super gravity casings. Super trail is just a trail casing. ie. not particularly tough (prob perfect for your local riding though)
Infact I'd probably fit a Super Downhill casing on the rear depending on how smooth/quick/clumsy you are these days.
fit a faster rolling compound/tread on the rear if you think the extra weight is going to be too draggy on the climbing sections.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
For your trip I'd definitely fit the Super gravity casings. Super trail is just a trail casing. ie. not particularly tough (prob perfect for your local riding though)
Infact I'd probably fit a Super Downhill casing on the rear depending on how smooth/quick/clumsy you are these days.
fit a faster rolling compound/tread on the rear if you think the extra weight is going to be too draggy on the climbing sections.
Cheers Gary,

Yeah I’ll likely fit the Super Gravity when they arrive. I did these today as I wanted to see how to install / remove cushcore before I hit the Alps, so no bother swapping them out.

I do notice that the Super Trails seem way thicker on the sidewall than most other trail tyres, even Exo+. In fact I don’t think they’re that far off a Maxxis DD on the sidewalls (the Super Trail Big Betty 2.6 in 27.5”weigh 1240g!)

I’ll take a look at the Super DH Big Betty too, might be useful for me ?

Cheers
Rob.

Last edited:

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales

clumsy... Rob ???

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 13.41.42.png

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Can confirm, CushCore is very very good at damping down rocks, roots and constant chatter over 15-20 minute descents. I as impressed at how it worked, not just for puncture and pinch flat protection, but as an improvement to suspension.
Exactly my findings too. Love it for our rocky rooty North Shore trails. Also prefer CushCore for wet conditions.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Can confirm, CushCore is very very good at damping down rocks, roots and constant chatter over 15-20 minute descents. I as impressed at how it worked, not just for puncture and pinch flat protection, but as an improvement to suspension.
do you think you would run them all the time, are they enough of an improvement to run on your personal bike at all times?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
do you think you would run them all the time, are they enough of an improvement to run on your personal bike at all times?
Ive just changed back to lighter casing tyres (super trail Big Betty rear and Exo+ Assegai front) from the Super Gravity that I was running in the alps, so will see how they perform with this setup over the next few weeks.

What is crazy is that I actually ran with around 14psi on the last day of the recent trip and was able to smash through everything whilst protecting the carbon rims and my arms.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Ive just changed back to lighter casing tyres (super trail Big Betty rear and Exo+ Assegai front) from the Super Gravity that I was running in the alps, so will see how they perform with this setup over the next few weeks.

What is crazy is that I actually ran with around 14psi on the last day of the recent trip and was able to smash through everything whilst protecting the carbon rims and my arms.
cool, im wondering if I can use a lighter tyre casing where I ride cos im having to use DH casing tyres all the time at the moment but I do notice the weight. I also have to run 24/28 psi and my rims still looked like hammered shit :D

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
cool, im wondering if I can use a lighter tyre casing where I ride cos im having to use DH casing tyres all the time at the moment but I do notice the weight. I also have to run 24/28 psi and my rims still looked like hammered shit :D
For sure, you should be able to run much lighter than DH tyres and still get the pinch flat / extra damping benefits from the Cush core.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
What state were the Cushcores in after that beating?

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I found this interesting; it's theory from a hardtail perspective. I have a tannus insert myself, on the rear, and like it. I run it with the lowest weight sidewalls. I run a bit lower pressure; maybe 3 or 4 psi less?

Levo170170

Sep 20, 2021
Widnes
I've just ordered Eddy Currents for my Levo. I'm keen on running them with Crush Core but heard that the Eddy Currents are a challenging tyre to fit without any inserts and fitting any tyre with Crush Core is difficult. Has anyone used the Crush Core / Eddy Current combo and if so, how did you find seating the tyre?

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
FWIW, my 2 cents, from dry, dusty and gravelly AUS.

I run cushcore in the back only, using Maxxis EXO+ tires, and I do it really just to save rims. I ding a rim every few months at least without cushcore, even with high pressures. I've never dinged the rim with cushcore in, over probably 2 years or more I'd say. So for me it saves the cost of a rim and me re-lacing a wheel, or buying a new wheel, every few months. I still run 32psi in the back with cushcore - it doesn't feel bouncy and and I don't ding the rim, so that works for me. Does it offer some better damping? You know I guess it does, because 32psi would be quite reboundy without it, in 2.6, I would think. Truth is it's been so long since I rode without it I forget :)

I think with cushcore why it might save the day for me is say I get a flat, pressure drops but it seals, I don't know, keep riding, and ding the rim. There could be an argument for just running DD if this is the case. I guess in my mind, the cushcore seems like it would be the best protection and I hate buying news rims. I hate lacing them almost as much as I hate paying for someone else to do it.

I've once had a flat that wouldn't seal with this combo, and I had to call for a lift :) so I suppose I get a flat something like once every 2 years, I carry plugs and a pump and don't give thicker tyres anymore thought (we don't have thorns etc though). I don't have that lift option now, but if I got a flat that I couldn't fix I could limp home on the cushcore under a flat tire. It's doable.

I've tried front cushcore and the difference was negligible I think but it made the front of the bike heavier. That was long time ago though. Sure I can feel the back is a little heavier too but it's prob just like running a DD I'd guess. I reckon in the front it'd be worth it for long rocky descents though, like Rob's trip above. I dunno, maybe I should revisit the front. Hmmm... maybe it's worth a revisit now I have a bike I gel with this much.

When I take the tire off, there's plenty of bite marks in the insert and lots of little Stans stalactities in the tire.

So, for me, cushcore really seems to be great rim protection. I do run a 2.6 and that means the cushcore extends well past the rim inside the tyre. Maybe running thinner tyres reduces the rim protection as the cushcore isn't over the rim? I'm not sure. But reports that cushcore doesn't protect the rim very much (like in the hardtail party video above) don't align with my experience. Myabe he means more in the context of riding hardtails and it not being license to stop managing the back wheel impacts.

Fitting it is just a knack. Windex can help to get the tire over the cushcore if it's tight. Learn to roll the tire under into the center of the rim, that's what it's all about, and sure it's a PITA but no big drama.

Last edited:

Levo170170

Sep 20, 2021
Widnes
I think if you’re riding world class old school DH at world class speeds yes you’d need it. I’ve done it with the EDDY and for sure didn’t need it even on the rear. No way on the front. Given I run mid 20 front and low to mid 30 rear tire pressures. The eddy tires are awesome. They’ll last longer than any tire you’ve ever had.
Thanks Banbamoda - sounds like I will definitely need it then LOL. The tyres went on surprisingly easily so I've bitten the bullet and ordered the cush core. I'm hoping to drop the tyre pressures lower than you are running (much lower on the rear) for the grip on the steep stuff (particularly the front) and I'm 95Kg and do plough through the rocks, hence it'll do no harm. The pressures that I've been running out of necessity make the bike terrifying on steep technical compared to my Jeffsy. Some of that will be geometry and comparative weight but the grip is what is really letting me down.

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
I found this interesting; it's theory from a hardtail perspective. I have a tannus insert myself, on the rear, and like it. I run it with the lowest weight sidewalls. I run a bit lower pressure; maybe 3 or 4 psi less?

His opinions are a little ego driven. I would take his views with a pinch of salt.
FWIW, my 2 cents, from dry, dusty and gravelly AUS.

I run cushcore in the back only, using Maxxis EXO+ tires, and I do it really just to save rims. I ding a rim every few months at least without cushcore, even with high pressures. I've never dinged the rim with cushcore in, over probably 2 years or more I'd say. So for me it saves the cost of a rim and me re-lacing a wheel, or buying a new wheel, every few months. I still run 32psi in the back with cushcore - it doesn't feel bouncy and and I don't ding the rim, so that works for me. Does it offer some better damping? You know I guess it does, because 32psi would be quite reboundy without it, in 2.6, I would think. Truth is it's been so long since I rode without it I forget :)

I think with cushcore why it might save the day for me is say I get a flat, pressure drops but it seals, I don't know, keep riding, and ding the rim. There could be an argument for just running DD if this is the case. I guess in my mind, the cushcore seems like it would be the best protection and I hate buying news rims. I hate lacing them almost as much as I hate paying for someone else to do it.

I've once had a flat that wouldn't seal with this combo, and I had to call for a lift :) so I suppose I get a flat something like once every 2 years, I carry plugs and a pump and don't give thicker tyres anymore thought (we don't have thorns etc though). I don't have that lift option now, but if I got a flat that I couldn't fix I could limp home on the cushcore under a flat tire. It's doable.

I've tried front cushcore and the difference was negligible I think but it made the front of the bike heavier. That was long time ago though. Sure I can feel the back is a little heavier too but it's prob just like running a DD I'd guess. I reckon in the front it'd be worth it for long rocky descents though, like Rob's trip above. I dunno, maybe I should revisit the front. Hmmm... maybe it's worth a revisit now I have a bike I gel with this much.

When I take the tire off, there's plenty of bite marks in the insert and lots of little Stans stalactities in the tire.

So, for me, cushcore really seems to be great rim protection. I do run a 2.6 and that means the cushcore extends well past the rim inside the tyre. Maybe running thinner tyres reduces the rim protection as the cushcore isn't over the rim? I'm not sure. But reports that cushcore doesn't protect the rim very much (like in the hardtail party video above) don't align with my experience. Myabe he means more in the context of riding hardtails and it not being license to stop managing the back wheel impacts.

Fitting it is just a knack. Windex can help to get the tire over the cushcore if it's tight. Learn to roll the tire under into the center of the rim, that's what it's all about, and sure it's a PITA but no big drama.
After fitting the front wheel today I agree about it being a PITA. WOW. I did manage to work out a technique though with a lot of sweating and swearing 😅

I'm not looking forward to fitting the rear. I'm also terrified it won't fix my pinch flat issues and if it happens the ride is over. There is no way I'm fixing with a tube trail side! hahaha

I now know the why the cushcore kit comes with so many stickers. It's a badge of honour that you fitted it and BEAT CUSHCORE 🤣

As for hardtail party. He likes to talk. Pinch of salt 😁

Last edited:

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I'm not looking forward to fitting the rear. I'm also terrified it won't fix my pinch flat issues and if it happens the ride is over. There is no way I'm fixing with a tube trail side! hahaha
It really should fix your pinch flat issues, 100% does for me, and I get them all the time without cushcore even at high pressures. I take tire plugs and hopefully that fixes any flat but if it doesn't you can ride out on the cushcore sedately, I've done it. It will annihilate the tire, but it's toast anyway at that point.

I've actually cut a couple of tires off that were stuck on with cushcore... sometimes it's VERY hard to get the bead back into the rim, and it's easier to just cut the tire off :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles