Cush Core - would you recommened?

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
well I just discovered cush core and because where I live is very rocky im tempted cos it looks like a solution to a problem that actually exists :p but its not cheap so...
who runs it and would you recommend?

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
I wrote this in a previous post so ill just copy and paste :)

"Cushcore is much more than a piece of foam, certainly more so than other options like Nukeproof ARD as one example. The shape is designed to provide ride support in addition to puncture protection. If you have time there is a great podcast interview with the designer here....
Suspension, the Next Frontier - Adam Krefting from CushCore - Downtime Podcast

I agree about the pricing though, if it was £100 pair i might have bought one, but £160 is too much for me.

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
Yes. If you think you need it, you need it.
i've been using cushcore for two seasons on various bikes and immediately installed them on my Decoy. Given the extra mass of the e-bike, it's a no brainer for me.

Pros:
- adios pinch flats
- vastly improved sidewall support, which is even more noticeable on the heavier e-bike
- ability to run lower tire pressure for traction

Cons:
- initial installation is tough. Once you have the technique, it's not bad. I recommend buying the cushcore bead dropper tool
- trailside repairs can be a nightmare. Bring tire plugs!
- rotational weight - although not an issue for me on an e-bike. On my regular bikes, it becomes noticeable over the course of a longer ide.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
well I just discovered cush core and because where I live is very rocky im tempted cos it looks like a solution to a problem that actually exists :p but its not cheap so...

Hi mate,
What is the problem that actually exists that you need a solution for with your tyres?
Are you getting pinch punctures or slashes in the side walls? Or something else?

SidLawrence

Aug 12, 2019
Meath, Ireland
I went from Cushcore to Nukeproof ARD.

The ARDs slot in & out easily. If needed you could whip one out & throw in a tube to get you home.

Cushcore tough to fit, although it does get easier with practice. Not a hope of popping one out trail side though.

On the trail.....if the Cushcore is considered the bench mark at 10/10. (& they really are superb!)
I’d give the ARDs a 7.5/10.

The Cushcore’s really felt like an extra 10mm of suspension on my Levo & offered very tangible sidewall support. The ARD’s don‘t offer the same level of cushioning or support but so far....they‘ve done everything I’ve needed them to do. No punctures yet (admittedly not out as much as I was pre Covid) & they’re working well. Whilst they don’t match the Cushcore on the trail, you know they’re there & they inspire confidence.

Given the ease of fitting, the huge cost differential, the ability for trail side removal etc......they’ve won my vote!

I sold my 2nd hand cushcores for more than I paid for the ARDs, so happy out ?

I’m currently weighing in at a delicate 120kg on an XL Levo.

Last edited:

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
what are you trying to say ???? :D:D

yes...
No, your not a fat bastard ;)
This is the exact same problem I was having as well as sharp shail rock punctures but ONLY on the rear tyre.

Resolved it by fitting a more robust rear tyre with my tubeless set up on both bikes and added more air. Not had a puncture in well over two years now (y)

On one of my Levo’s I fitted a 2.35 Magic Mary SG (Super Gravity) casing on the rear and on the other Levo I went mullet on the rear and fitted a 27.5 Eddy Current 2.8 which also has an SG casing. Both running 28psi. Both have Stans Race Sealant.

At least it is another option for you and as you know, we are riding on the same terrain in sunny Wales :)

For me personally, inserts are not needed. If you want to go up another level re tyre protection get the DH version it has an even thicker casing.

57082D1D-AD46-4714-A013-EC1349E592C8.jpeg

FB853C4B-9EE3-4146-99C6-050C83762641.jpeg

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
No, your not a fat bastard ;)
This is the exact same problem I was having as well as sharp shail rock punctures but ONLY on the rear tyre.

Resolved it by fitting a more robust rear tyre with my tubeless set up on both bikes and added more air. Not had a puncture in well over two years now (y)

On one of my Levo’s I fitted a 2.35 Magic Mary SG (Super Gravity) casing on the rear and on the other Levo I went mullet on the rear and fitted a 27.5 Eddy Current 2.8 which also has an SG casing. Both running 28psi. Both have Stans Race Sealant.

At least it is another option for you and as you know, we are riding on the same terrain in sunny Wales :)

For me personally, inserts are not needed. If you want to go up another level re tyre protection get the DH version it has an even thicker casing.

DH casing tyres are good but some inserts are designed to allow the slightly lighter casing and not needing more air, such as cushcore and procore.

Cushcore especially is designed to give sidewall support and more progressive tyre bottom out, as well as the obvious rim protection, while retaining the grip from lower pressures. Obviously wont do anything for tyre slashes which if a problem lighter casing isnt the best option.

Procrore is designed to stop hard bottom out and stop burping at low pressures, what it did for me was let me run much lower pressures in wet conditions for fantastic grip over roots without smashing the rim to bits or pulling a tyre /burping. Its not perfect, ask my rear rim after Ft.Bill DH track (on my enduro bike), but ive yet to lose air or pinch even when putting serious dings in the rim, to the point that they wont seal normal tubeless without the procore forcing the bead to seat.

In current dry conditions im probably not getting a huge benefit from procore (or Cushcore id guess) as tyre pressures are higher but for the ebike weight into rocks and roots they are definitely stopping my rims getting hit.

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
what worries me is if you actually get a puncture on the trail..

Basically, you will be able to limp home.... albeit a lot slower than you were originally travelling as what happened to a friend of mine when we were racing enduro. He was coming first and got a puncture on the last stage and limped home to 3rd place :unsure: For me personally, in the terrain I ride, no thank you, I will stick to my trusty old SG carcass, 28 psi and continue enjoying my puncture free ride.
In the very unlikelyhood of getting a tyre slash puncture I have my new toy, the Stans Dart tool which funnily enough I have not had to use yet ;)

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Basically, you will be able to limp home.... albeit a lot slower than you were originally travelling as what happened to a friend of mine when we were racing enduro. He was coming first and got a puncture on the last stage and limped home to 3rd place :unsure: For me personally, in the terrain I ride, no thank you, I will stick to my trusty old SG carcass, 28 psi and continue enjoying my puncture free ride.
In the very unlikelyhood of getting a tyre slash puncture I have my new toy, the Stans Dart tool which funnily enough I have not had to use yet ;)

yea ive given up on the idea really, i like the idea of extra rim protection but the pinch flat i got were on the original tyres that came with the levo and they were crap.. the michelin wilds have been fine so ill stick with decent tyres and tubeless sealant.

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
yea ive given up on the idea really, i like the idea of extra rim protection but the pinch flat i got were on the original tyres that came with the levo and they were crap.. the michelin wilds have been fine so ill stick with decent tyres and tubeless sealant.

Michelin Wilds will be fine. They are a much more robust tyre than the paper thin originals that came with our 2019 Levos (y)
They have built in pinch flat protection like the Schwalbe SG carcasses ?

7ACCF2A0-7BDC-4B38-9B63-B2B31E832D8F.jpeg

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
I use Tannus and have had a trouble free 500 miles. Much cheaper than cushcore too
Doesnt tannus use tubes though? seems like a backwards step from tubeless, not sure id want foam under my tyre, doesnt it reduce the grip available restricting the ability for teh tyre to conform to the terrain?

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.

Get the Cushcore, both ends if possible, the extra cost worth it IMO. More grip, better roll.

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.
quite an endorsement! thats the first time ive heard more grip. I know this is almost impossible but how would you say it adds grip ?

Well first thing you can lower pressures so that helps. The front end is much calmer with CC, notable over roots etc. Increased comfort and less fatigue. Small bump sensitivity improves, so does roll. It’s expensive but worthwhile imo. Other designs don’t come close in terms of overall benefits imo.

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
Well first thing you can lower pressures so that helps. The front end is much calmer with CC, notable over roots etc. Increased comfort and less fatigue. Small bump sensitivity improves, so does roll. It’s expensive but worthwhile imo. Other designs don’t come close in terms of overall benefits imo.
+1

I run 4-5 less psi with cush core. I've tried Huck Norris and Vittoria airliner inserts and they don't come close in terms of sidewall support

Adasb

Subscriber
Jun 6, 2018
New Zealand
I’ll add in my 2c worth. I installed cushcore inserts both ends in my 2019 s works levo, after hearing good comments about them online. Installing them was hard (I went through a couple of nylon tyre levers...) but I can see now that it would be quicker if I ever had to do that again.
I really didn’t notice any positive from their presence though: Got a weird squeak / rubbing noise when hammering down trails from the front when compressed. I could definitely feel the additional rotating unsprung mass, and I regretted fitting them.
I finally removed them & I’m happier. In retrospect, maybe my trails were not rocky enough to let them shine? For me cons outweighed the pros!

Last edited:

Nichneven

Mar 9, 2020
Scotland
I use Rimpact on all my bikes and now on my 27.5 ebike. This is around the Tweed Valley, Scotland. First used this racing with my enduro bike. Been through procore, cushcore, HuckN and been the longest on Rimpact. They damp out all the trail chatter. Easy to install. Trailside if you really blow a tire they are easy to get out of the wheel. I run crazy low pressures for uplift and never messed up a wheel for 2 seasons. The lowest I have gone and not lost any speed in a race was 20 front and 22 rear at 90kg. Uplift in steeps 18 front and 20 rear. I run this on my ebike with dual maxxis shorty.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles