Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 HPC 625 Action Team... great value for money?

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
I have been researching e-bikes to buy that offer good price/performance and I first saw Decathlons new Stilus and was quite interested. Then I saw The Cube Stereo 140 series and was distracted by that. However I then saw the Cube 160 HPC series and stumbled across the following bike:

Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 HPC 625 Action Team CUBE Stereo Hybrid 160 HPC Actionteam 27.5 625 actionteam 2020

The spec list seems pretty amazing for the price of around £5500... Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 HPC Action Team 625 2020 Bosch
  • Frame: C:62 Monocoque Advanced Twin Mold Technology, Aluminum 6061 T6 Rear Triangle, Efficient Trail Control, FSP 4-Link, Agile Trail Geometry, Boost 148, Full Integrated Battery
  • Fork: Fox 36 Float Factory FIT4, 3-Position w/Low Speed Compression Adjust, Tapered, 15x110mm, E-Bike Tune, 170mm, Kashima Coated
  • Rear Shock: Fox Float DPX2 Factory EVOL, Open(Adjustable)/Medium/Firm Mode, 205x60mm, Trunnion Mount, Kashima Coated
  • Headset: FSA Orbit Z 1.5E ZS, Top Zero-Stack 1 1/2" (OD 56mm), Bottom Zero-Stack 1 1/2" (OD 56mm)
  • Stem: Race Face Turbine R 35Bars:Race Face Next R 35 Carbon, 800mm
  • Front Brake: Shimano XT BR-M8120, Hydr. Disc Brake (203mm)
  • Rear Brake: Shimano XT BR-M8120, Hydr. Disc Brake (203mm)
  • Rear Mech: Shimano XT RD-M8100-SGS, ShadowPlus, 12-SpeedShifters:Shimano XT SL-M8100-IR, Direct AttachSpeed:12
  • Rims: Newmen Evolution SL E.35, 28H, Disc, Tubeless ReadyFront
  • Hub: Shimano XT HB-M8110-B, 15QR, Boost, CenterlockRear Hub:Shimano XT FH-M8110-B, 12mm, Boost, Centerlock
  • Front Tyre: Schwalbe Magic Mary Kevlar, Addix Soft, Super Gravity, Tubeless Easy, 2.60
  • Rear Tyre: Schwalbe Hans Dampf Kevlar, Addix Speedgrip, Super Gravity, Tubeless Easy, 2.60Seat
  • Post: Fox Transfer Factory 31.6mm, Kashima Coated (16": 359x100mm, 18": 409x125mm, 20", 22": 456x150mm)
  • Saddle: Natural Fit VenecChainset:e*thirteen Plus Crank, 36T, 165mm
  • Chain: Shimano SLX CN-M7100
  • Cassette: Shimano SLX CS-M7100, 10-51T
  • Pedals: Not Included
  • Weight: 23.5kgBattery (Wh):625wh
  • Motor: Bosch Drive Unit Performance CX Generation 4 (75Nm) Cruise (250Watt)
  • User Interface: Bosch Kiox
What I missing here... aside from the slightly garish colour scheme doesn't this seem unusually good value given the spec? A Specialized S-works Turbo Levo is around 45% more with a similar or slightly worse spec! :)

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
I have a 2019 AT. If you read other threads on hear you will hear folk talking about geometry and playfulness and how Cube are lacking in this respect. They may well be correct, but I can’t fault it. it feels solid and gives me confidence to got at stuff I might not ordinarily.

So, I guess it depends what you are looking for, something a little more agile with lower spec or more cash, or less agile with great spec. Ask yourself what you intend to do on it and read other threads to gain a better impression. Also, test ride as many different bikes as possible before choosing.

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
Thanks chap. I am just looking for a good all-rounder for commuting during the week and then hitting trails and mountains on weekends. Sadly where I live the chance to try many brands is limited.

Kingfisher

Jun 3, 2019
Belgium
I ride the stereo hybrid 140.
Cubes are the Skoda of ebikes. They just provide a basic decent package at a good price

The downsides

The base models are under equiped, don't buy a base model cube. But your model is fine

The bikes are quite heavy. But you could also call them over engineered.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Cubes are the Skoda of ebikes. They just provide a basic decent package at a good price

The downsides

The base models are under equiped, don't buy a base model cube. But your model is fine

My .50 cts:
In generall all brands base models are under equiped (and more expensive). Cube base modles do the job depending what you are looking.
Mine is in average weight fot the type off bike and specs.
The finish is good . All brands have less quality details .
Good quality carbon frame for the price off alloy .

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra

The downsides

My .50 cts:
In generall all bands base models are under equiped (and more expensive). CUbe base modles do the job depending what you are looking.
Mine is in average weight fot the type off bike and specs.
The finish is good . All brands have less quality details .
Good quality carbon frame for the price off alloy .

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
To be honest I'm a bit confused by this thread...

I looked at the Decathlon as I had never heard of it before which at £2.5k definitely lives at the cheaper end of e-bikes, so to jump to a £6k bike leaves a lot of room in-between.

Admittedly you didn't mention your budget but have a look at the Canyon SpectralON, they are discounted at the moment, (I expect that's awaiting a new model with upgraded motor), but the 8.0 for £4k looks like a solid buy.

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England

I looked at the Decathlon as I had never heard of it before which at £2.5k definitely lives at the cheaper end of e-bikes, so to jump to a £6k bike leaves a lot of room in-between.

Admittedly you didn't mention your budget but have a look at the Canyon SpectralON, they are discounted at the moment, (I expect that's awaiting a new model with upgraded motor), but the 8.0 for £4k looks like a solid buy.

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH

Ideally I want a new Bosch motor with internal 625w battery, not an old skool canyon. Budget is flexible so no need for you to get too confused, I just want something good value fo the spec whatever price it is.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Because I had a 2017 Cube 160 Hybrid Race with 27.5 wheels, and am used to the feel of it. I tried the 140 with the 29" wheels, and didn't like the feel of them. It wasn't as agile, steering felt like you had big weights on the handlebars. That's the only reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: ggx

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany

The downsides

Jeez, what does that say about me.
I have a Skoda Superb car, and A Cube eBike!!!

HKP57

Jul 7, 2018
Central Scotland
A buddy of mine just picked up a Cube 140 HPC 625 Race from Evans Cycles who would not do a price match on the same bike he found online in Germany for £3.5k from the Evans list price of £3.8k but they did give hime £300 of goods from the store.

As for the bike he went from a 2018 Levo HT onto this and loves it, like others have said it is a great starting place with carbon frame and capable handling that's safe. Upgrade later when you see what components you don't like. Until now my buddy has found nothing to complain about except the weather. 140 travel is enough for most folk I think, 625wh battery and gen4 Bosch motor to go anywhere. Whats not to like

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
In that case I would go back to the advice I was given when I bought my first MTB. Buy the best frame you can afford, after that you can upgrade where necessary.

I guess in the EMTB world, buy the bike with the best motor and battery you can find and upgrade everything else to your liking.
Well if you look at the spec list of this Cube it is simply top of the line and wants for almost nothing I can see... CUBE Stereo Hybrid 160 HPC Actionteam 27.5 625 actionteam 2020

Anyone who tells you that pros don't ride e-bikes has got it wrong. Case in point: the all-new Stereo Hybrid 160 HPC Actionteam. Decked out with a full complement of team issue components and race-tested kit, it combines the mountain-taming, race-proven ability of our enduro bikes with the smooth power delivery and extended versatility of Bosch's fourth-generation drive system. Wish-list parts include Fox Factory shocks - a Float DPX2 Factory at the rear, combined with a 36 Float Factory fork at the front for buttery smooth, progressive and controllable travel in any riding situation - and a Fox Transfer Factory dropper post. There's a Shimano 12-speed transmission with XT derailleur and shifters, offering the widest possible gear range and unmatched reliability. Matching Shimano XT hydraulic disc brakes clamp to 203mm rotors for added cooling and ultimate power and control on even the longest, steepest descents, whilst light and strong Newmen rims wrapped with Schwalbe's Magic Mary and Hans Dampf Super Gravity 2.6in tyres grip tenaciously to the trail. Bosch's smooth, powerful, Kiox-controlled CX drive unit sits in a housing accessed by a single-bolt cover, and the high-capacity power unit - for extended range - is housed in the down tube behind a shock-, moisture- and dust-proof cover. Hidden cable routing, chain guide compatibility, oversized bearings and the proven strength and durability of our carbon main frame - tested rigorously by our own in-house torture testing lab - are the finishing touches that help make the difference. With aggressive geometry designed around 170mm forks and riders who aren't afraid to push their limits, we've covered all the bases to build an enduro e-bike that establishes a completely new benchmark for performance. Our pros know it. And it's available for you to discover, too.

The price I can get with all discounts and shipping/tax included is £4500... which seems an utterly stonking deal and saves me almost a grand over buying it locally. Plus I get 50% of the bike from my workplace so the price I actually pay in the end is £2225.

Plus, in today's theft-heavy society the somewhat polarizing looks of this bike really stand out so I would be able to recognise it very quickly. ;)

I can't see any downsides but I am open to ideas and feedback before I commit! :)

Last edited:

Jay355

Apr 10, 2020
East Anglia
Well if you look at the spec list of this Cube it is simply top of the line and wants for almost nothing I can see... CUBE Stereo Hybrid 160 HPC Actionteam 27.5 625 actionteam 2020

The price I can get with all discounts and shipping/tax included is £4500... which seems an utterly stonking deal and saves me almost a grand over buying it locally. Plus I get 50% of the bike from my workplace so the price I actually pay in the end is £2225.

Plus, in today's theft-heavy society the somewhat polarizing looks of this bike really stand out so I would be able to recognise it very quickly. ;)

I can't see any downsides but I am open to ideas and feedback before I commit! :)
Hi, if you don’t want it at £2225 drop me a message, I’m currently searching for one of these and would pull an arm of for that kind of deal. ??

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
Hi, if you don’t want it at £2225 drop me a message, I’m currently searching for one of these and would pull an arm of for that kind of deal. ??

Great idea, I will of course sell you my new bike for 50% of the new price. Please mail me at [email protected] and we can proceed with the sale.

:D

Jay355

Apr 10, 2020
East Anglia
Great idea, I will of course sell you my new bike for 50% of the new price. Please mail me at [email protected] and we can proceed with the sale.

:D
No worries I’ll get the accounts department to send a link with a password to a secret account in Switzerland, you seem very honest so help yourself and just let me know the tracking number once you’ve dispatched it. ??

May 30, 2020
St newlyn east
I have been researching e-bikes to buy that offer good price/performance and I first saw Decathlons new Stilus and was quite interested. Then I saw The Cube Stereo 140 series and was distracted by that. However I then saw the Cube 160 HPC series and stumbled across the following bike:

Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 HPC 625 Action Team CUBE Stereo Hybrid 160 HPC Actionteam 27.5 625 actionteam 2020

The spec list seems pretty amazing for the price of around £5500... Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 HPC Action Team 625 2020 Bosch
  • Frame: C:62 Monocoque Advanced Twin Mold Technology, Aluminum 6061 T6 Rear Triangle, Efficient Trail Control, FSP 4-Link, Agile Trail Geometry, Boost 148, Full Integrated Battery
  • Fork: Fox 36 Float Factory FIT4, 3-Position w/Low Speed Compression Adjust, Tapered, 15x110mm, E-Bike Tune, 170mm, Kashima Coated
  • Rear Shock: Fox Float DPX2 Factory EVOL, Open(Adjustable)/Medium/Firm Mode, 205x60mm, Trunnion Mount, Kashima Coated
  • Headset: FSA Orbit Z 1.5E ZS, Top Zero-Stack 1 1/2" (OD 56mm), Bottom Zero-Stack 1 1/2" (OD 56mm)
  • Stem: Race Face Turbine R 35Bars:Race Face Next R 35 Carbon, 800mm
  • Front Brake: Shimano XT BR-M8120, Hydr. Disc Brake (203mm)
  • Rear Brake: Shimano XT BR-M8120, Hydr. Disc Brake (203mm)
  • Rear Mech: Shimano XT RD-M8100-SGS, ShadowPlus, 12-SpeedShifters:Shimano XT SL-M8100-IR, Direct AttachSpeed:12
  • Rims: Newmen Evolution SL E.35, 28H, Disc, Tubeless ReadyFront
  • Hub: Shimano XT HB-M8110-B, 15QR, Boost, CenterlockRear Hub:Shimano XT FH-M8110-B, 12mm, Boost, Centerlock
  • Front Tyre: Schwalbe Magic Mary Kevlar, Addix Soft, Super Gravity, Tubeless Easy, 2.60
  • Rear Tyre: Schwalbe Hans Dampf Kevlar, Addix Speedgrip, Super Gravity, Tubeless Easy, 2.60Seat
  • Post: Fox Transfer Factory 31.6mm, Kashima Coated (16": 359x100mm, 18": 409x125mm, 20", 22": 456x150mm)
  • Saddle: Natural Fit VenecChainset:e*thirteen Plus Crank, 36T, 165mm
  • Chain: Shimano SLX CN-M7100
  • Cassette: Shimano SLX CS-M7100, 10-51T
  • Pedals: Not Included
  • Weight: 23.5kgBattery (Wh):625wh
  • Motor: Bosch Drive Unit Performance CX Generation 4 (75Nm) Cruise (250Watt)
  • User Interface: Bosch Kiox
What I missing here... aside from the slightly garish colour scheme doesn't this seem unusually good value given the spec? A Specialized S-works Turbo Levo is around 45% more with a similar or slightly worse spec! :)
Ive got the cube on order the 22inch action team 160 its a great bike at the price the crap thing for me is the 5 week wait

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles