Cube Stereo 160 SL or Giant Trance +1

Oldcreaky

Feb 8, 2019
Bristol
Will be buying a new full sus bike to upgrade from my Cube hardtail.
Settled on the Cube or the Giant as these are the 2 closest dealers to me as this an important point as I can no longer drive due to a stroke affecting my eyesight.
Currently leaning towards the Cube as it seems to have a good spec for the money, shame about the deadly dull colour. I have ridden a Giant +2 for a short spell seemed very good although I thought a bit noisier than the Bosch in my Cube.
So has anybody thoughts on the Cube or the Giant

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Difficult choice. Test ride bouth if you can. Details could make the difference. I went for the cube due to availability, price and retailer atention to customer.

Oldcreaky

Feb 8, 2019
Bristol
My Cube dealer is the easiest to get to for servicing and any warranty work also I have had good service from them with my current bike. The Giant store is harder to get to with no direct bus route if I have to leave the bike for any time. When talking to the staff I got very good vibes they all ride and are enthusiastic about mountain biking in general. Unable to test the cube as they do not have that model in stock. Looks like a could be a punt in the dark as it was 2 years ago with my current bike. Could come down to availability.

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
Will be buying a new full sus bike to upgrade from my Cube hardtail.
Settled on the Cube or the Giant as these are the 2 closest dealers to me as this an important point as I can no longer drive due to a stroke affecting my eyesight.
Currently leaning towards the Cube as it seems to have a good spec for the money, shame about the deadly dull colour. I have ridden a Giant +2 for a short spell seemed very good although I thought a bit noisier than the Bosch in my Cube.
So has anybody thoughts on the Cube or the Giant
What's your budget?

Oldcreaky

Feb 8, 2019
Bristol
Looking around 4k or a little bit more, The cube is £4099. Giant £4299. The Cube has Shimano gears and brakes the Giant has sram, also the cube has a Fox dropper so I am leaning towards the Cube. I have checked out most of the bikes in the price range and the Cube seems to be the best value for money.

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
Looking around 4k or a little bit more, The cube is £4099. Giant £4299. The Cube has Shimano gears and brakes the Giant has sram, also the cube has a Fox dropper so I am leaning towards the Cube. I have checked out most of the bikes in the price range and the Cube seems to be the best value for money.
Cube and Giant are both nearest to me but I would prefer going for a Cube as I also used to have a Cube hardtail and it was comfortable to ride. I was gonna go for a Canyon but their CS is terrible and a lot of messing around so would now sooner go the lbs route. Do you really need 160 travel because if not the Cube TM range are lighter and don't look so bad in the grey/? combo.

Dorismorris

Nov 8, 2018
Llandod
Having gone from having 2 ebikes with Bosch motors to a giant trance the Yamaha motor isn’t any louder probably a bit quieter if anything and it is a lot smoother and easier to ride above the 16mph cut off

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
They will discount the Giant if you ask I agreed a 15% discount on the Trance + 2 bike but I changed my mind and just bought a Jam2 plus for less than your budget I think a 15% discount is easily achievable if you ask, I don't take no for an answer I have just enquired about a Levo for my wife Linda that is coming into stock in March/April and I asked for 15% and he said yes straight away, also changing the tyres to Schwalbe and setting it up tubeless and swapping her saddle for a ladies spesh Mimic and all agreed so don't be afraid to ask as thay want the business.

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
They will discount the Giant if you ask I agreed a 15% discount on the Trance + 2 bike but I changed my mind and just bought a Jam2 plus for less than your budget I think a 15% discount is easily achievable if you ask, I don't take no for an answer I have just enquired about a Levo for my wife Linda that is coming into stock in March/April and I asked for 15% and he said yes straight away, also changing the tyres to Schwalbe and setting it up tubeless and swapping her saddle for a ladies spesh Mimic and all agreed so don't be afraid to ask as thay want the business.
How are you finding the Jam2, are you glad you got it instead of the Giant?

Reactions: MsO

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
You have a cube already which you like, you get great service from your cube dealer, the cube has a better spec & cheaper......the only thing you don't like are the colours.......you don't see them when they are dirty.......
I think you've already answered your own question ?

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
How are you finding the Jam2, are you glad you got it instead of the Giant?

It will be my first ride in this wild weather today :) I just really preferred the look of the Jam as I thought the Giant down tube was too thick and I just didn't like the curved top tubes but I so nearly got it as it is a great bike but the deal I got on the Jam2 including e TAC pack was so good I had to get it.

Reactions: Bis

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
I would also go for the cube, it just fits me better and I love their spec.
You have a cube already which you like, you get great service from your cube dealer, the cube has a better spec & cheaper......the only thing you don't like are the colours.......you don't see them when they are dirty.......
I think you've already answered your own question ?
Completely agree! Also, more mute colors are more resistant to you getting tired of them over time.

I personally prefer cube for the great spec and the seating position is just spot on for me.

By the way, now you are at it, throw in a few hundreds more and get the 160 action with more colors and full kashima

Reactions: MsO

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
Cube and Giant are both nearest to me but I would prefer going for a Cube as I also used to have a Cube hardtail and it was comfortable to ride. I was gonna go for a Canyon but their CS is terrible and a lot of messing around so would now sooner go the lbs route. Do you really need 160 travel because if not the Cube TM range are lighter and don't look so bad in the grey/? combo.
Agreed, the 140 tm is a top spec as an alternative to the action team and actually has fox 150mm in the front. Still, now you are taking the plunge, go for the action team! What another mortgage anyway, right?! ;)

Oldcreaky

Feb 8, 2019
Bristol
Thanks for all your replies and advice, I have looked hard at the 140 action team and it is a better colour scheme but it is a bit more expensive and surprisingly according to the Cube site slightly heavier although it would not notice when riding. As regarding the longer travel on the 160 I look on it as its there if needed from my present riding ability its not needed but I hope to improve and use more of the bikes qualities. The jam is a great looking bike but the smaller battery is a bit off putting unless you get a deal on the extra battery. Also dealers are further away than Cube or Giant.
My hardtail is a nice bright orange/red which I chose deliberately it just makes it easier to spot who's nicked it.
Crunch time is this afternoon the hardtail is going for a yearly service at Cube so I will be doing some serious negotiating regarding discount and or extras, I have already had verbal assurances as regards going tubeless a set of decent pedals etc. I will post later with the outcome hope fully delivery will be in March

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Thanks for all your replies and advice, I have looked hard at the 140 action team and it is a better colour scheme but it is a bit more expensive and surprisingly according to the Cube site slightly heavier although it would not notice when riding. As regarding the longer travel on the 160 I look on it as its there if needed from my present riding ability its not needed but I hope to improve and use more of the bikes qualities. The jam is a great looking bike but the smaller battery is a bit off putting unless you get a deal on the extra battery. Also dealers are further away than Cube or Giant.
My hardtail is a nice bright orange/red which I chose deliberately it just makes it easier to spot who's nicked it.
Crunch time is this afternoon the hardtail is going for a yearly service at Cube so I will be doing some serious negotiating regarding discount and or extras, I have already had verbal assurances as regards going tubeless a set of decent pedals etc. I will post later with the outcome hope fully delivery will be in March

haha if you are going into a Cube dealer today I guarantee you will do a deal on one and they are really fantastic bikes I nearly went for one it was grey and orange and gorgeous :) just get that deal :)

Bis

Jan 26, 2019
Croy Suisse
Hello in my opinion the cube is better equipped for the price. I paid mine 4700 francs (Swiss franc) about 3630 GBP without kiox with purion.

20190202_165025-1612x907.jpg

20190202_164800-1612x907.jpg

Bis

Jan 26, 2019
Croy Suisse
Thank you Mad Mark I wanted the Action Team as I love the colors but I told myself that the SL 160 would be largely enough for me although I found it a little too sober original now I find it a little prettier.

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
That's what I love about MTBikers, we all bitch and moan about the price - then we buy a bike and then set about spending more money on them to personalise them - we are priceless ?

Bis

Jan 26, 2019
Croy Suisse
Mad Mark I do not know if the Action Team (or other brand) have a good saddle of the good grip and good pedal of origin but on the SL 160 it's really horrible the saddle I really hurt it was too big the handles and the pedal is really the minimum. For the price I pay it must not be too dreamy.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
In my short list the cube 140 was in front of the 160 as I thought that the 140 was more than enough for my style off riding. But after( short) riding bouth I went for the 160. I felt a better match with it. No regrets until now. No problems with the stock saddle but it a very personal thing :) (in my trance I have a smp).

Oldcreaky

Feb 8, 2019
Bristol
Hi again, The deed has been done and a deposit paid. Could not force a big discount as the 160 sl in large has sold out and with Cube there will be no other deliveries but the store had one left at another branch so it will be with me next weekend a lot quicker than I thought. It will be set up tubeless with a free cage and bottle also £30.00 off a pair DMR Vault pedals I will be pushing for discounts on anything else I can think of in the coming week.
I will have to brighten it up once I have it with me, hope I can make it look as good as Bis's bike. Very nearly had a change of heart as they had a 140 Action Team in grey and orange, what a sweet looking bike but the extra £500.00 persuaded me to stick with the 160. so it looks like my next run at Ashton Court next Sunday will be the last outing for the hardtail as i don't think I will have enough time to set up the new one. I had to promise the wife to sell it to swing the purchase of the new one.
On a different note anybody in Bristol know what was the matter with traffic around Eastgate all roads around there were solid including the M32. Took ages to get there, would have ridden but it was tipping down so son gave me and the bike a lift.

Oldcreaky

Feb 8, 2019
Bristol
I don't think dealers part ex, I have never seen second hand bikes in dealers I have been to. I am a newcomer of 2 years to cycling so perhaps the more experienced members will shed some more light on the subject.

Bis

Jan 26, 2019
Croy Suisse
Merci Oldcreaky Je voulais aussi le 140 mais j'ai trouvé le prix trop élevé par rapport aux spécifications. Vous ne serez pas déçu.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles