• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Cube Deristricted

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
The devices that halve the speed readings etc Badass box peartune etc only do so while they are connected ,
On shimano the peartune is activated by the lights function to switch on and off , switch it off and all your data is correct including the odometer . Nothing is effected Permanently and it’s use can’t be detected after removal so no worries that it could effect warranty

Bis

Jan 26, 2019
Croy Suisse
Hello, a quick question to Mad Mark. Did you change the number of sprocket teeth after installing the SpeedBox?

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
Hello, a quick question to Mad Mark. Did you change the number of sprocket teeth after installing the SpeedBox?
I recently fitted a 19 tooth sprocket, same bike and Speedbox as @Mad Mark, makes a huge difference and would recommend it. You’ll find you use more of the cassette and achieve a higher top end speed without pedalling like a lunatic.

Reactions: Bis

Simps

Aug 18, 2019
Staffordshire
Just installed mine today and went for a nice 25 mile ride. Sooo nice not to feel that drag. And that's why I did it, not for the speed.
My legs still got a good workout but you're not battling the motor the odd time you go over the speed limiter.
Thanks Mark.
PS my wiring wasn't as neat as yours and I did check it worked before putting the covers back on as like you said they are a pain to get back on. :D

Simps

Aug 18, 2019
Staffordshire
Mark, did you have any issues with the range showing incorrect or different after a full charge after installing the speedbox?
After my ride yesterday I fully charged my battery last night and popped it on the bike just now.... Normally after a full charge in Eco the range shows as about 78 miles (about) but today it's showing 39 miles which I have never seen before and is a lot lower than normal.
Cheers.

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
No mate the range on eco is normally about 51 - 52 miles.....sometimes when you start riding the range can go up a bit...but it used to do that before I fitted the speed box
I think you will find it will still do the same sort of distance’s

Simps

Aug 18, 2019
Staffordshire
Thanks you were right. Just went out and done 5 miles and it actually went up back to normal.
Yes, it did the same sort or range yesterday, I got back from 25 miles with 2 bars which was normal. Probably me just being a bit paranoid .
Cheers.

alex_333

Nov 23, 2019
UK
Hey guys.
Has anyone had problems fitting speedbox2 to Bosch active line plus gen3?
It looks as 2-pin connector is a different shape and I couldn't fit it...
I've bought my Cube touring one 2020 e-bike this year if it makes any difference
Thanks,
Alex
IMG_5229.jpg
IMG_5229.jpg

alex_333

Nov 23, 2019
UK
did you check that the gen3 motor was supported by speedbox????
Yes I did. gen2 and gen3 are supported. I've actually contacted them directly with the same photo as above and they confirmed that for some reason Bosch Active Line changed the shape and suggested to cut off the plastic bar from the right hand side on their connector manually.
They said that it's not gonna affect the warranty, but as I bought the item from ebay - I'm not sure if I'm going to modify it or return back to seller and buy again directly from speedbox website asking them to make that adjustment.
Alex

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles