• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Cube Deristricted

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
Having read about the speed box 2, I thought it was about time I ordered one.

I know this will invalidate my warranty, but having had the bike for 6 months and having had no real problems with it, thinking it was worth the risk
IMG_0413.JPG
Having received it from amazon for the princely sum of £128.93 I then set about fitting it.

IMG_0415.JPG

After removing the bash guard & the cover, the inside was very clean and tidy ( unlike many specialized motors ).
A blowout with the compressor, cut a cable tie, pullout the two plugs from the motor, plug in the two new plugs into the motor, then plug together the new loom.
IMG_0416.JPG
A little bit of tidying & a few cable ties, you would have thought an Auto - Electrician had wired it
Instead of a 55 year old plumber

After replacing the cover & bash plate - which took much longer than the re-wire
It was time to plug in the battery.
Then time to switch on -
IMG_0418.JPG

And press the walk button which now showed 1.5 - which means 15 MPH

Press the walk button again -
IMG_0420.JPG
And this appears 6.1 - which means 61 MPH......If you can peddle that fast.

I then took the bike out onto the street & broke the speed limit......as I hit 32 MPH

I know a lot of people will have a moan about me doing this, but I just want to be able to do about 20 - 25 mph on some trails as I would have on my old bike.

15 mph hour is just to slow & I want the boost past that
just wanted to tell everybody about my experience in fitting, which to be honest was very easy & it seems to work perfectly - being switchable is great too
Looking forward to getting it out on the rough stuff

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
Second that. I put the same unit in my Nutrail fat bike a couple of weeks after I got it; haven’t looked back.

Great step by step guide by the way.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
How do you find battery life? When I had mine derestricted for a while (Shimano motor) I found battery life dropped off a fair bit due to the assistance always being in play

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
It doesn't seem to have made any difference.....using it mainly in eco mode and only normally going over the limit by a few mph.
I've only done 1 trip out and it wasn't much climbing, did 21 miles 95% eco - 4% tour - 1% turbo - got back with about 50% battery left
I did get up to 34mph downhill on the road as I got near to home

During this ride I probably only went over the 15mph limit for about 20% of the time, and then only between 15 & 20mph...so your not using it much, but when you do use it , it feels so much better than feeling the drag from the motor
While I was out whenever I stopped I checked to see if the motor was getting to warm, but the motor was fine.
I think people worry to much about the so called "extra strain" on the motor
The motors have been restricted to slow you down, not to save the motor, they have been built to drive the bike
So in summary I suppose it does use the battery up a little bit more, but you've got a little bit further, a little bit faster, so I don't see the difference.......apart from not having the drag to slow you down
So I suppose the phrase "SWINGS & ROUNDABOUTS" comes into play.......but I do know which way I would rather have it.
??

Last edited:

Gofurtherfaster

Oct 10, 2018
The woods
Nice one.

Listen, cars are built to travel above the legal speed limit, so as long as you're responsible the 15mph can be safely ignored, for the most part.

Gofurtherfaster

Oct 10, 2018
The woods
How do you find battery life? When I had mine derestricted for a while (Shimano motor) I found battery life dropped off a fair bit due to the assistance always being in play
Yup, this is the place where it suffers as every mph over 15 is progressively harder too with wind resistance becoming a bigger factor at that speed, I'd say I get about 75% or so if I just ride without thinking if I'm going over the old cutoff.

2nd battery incoming :p

Gofurtherfaster

Oct 10, 2018
The woods
All modes from what I can gather, just doesn't stop providing assistance, I like the OP, often go above the cutoff using ECO and it feels far far better than pedalling against the motor, and again, I am usually going around 18mph when cruising, makes all the difference.

Reactions: iXi

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
No you can use all the modes just as you did before, and you can switch it off by the walk button even on the move ...... best thing I've done .... if your thinking about it....DO IT .....you won't regret it ?

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
I think you can get them for different motors, I got mine on amazon.
So when you order just make sure it's the one for your motor.
No they are not bike specific, but they are motor specific
?

AllmtnBurks

Jan 19, 2019
South yorkshire
I think you can get them for different motors, I got mine on amazon.
So when you order just make sure it's the one for your motor.
No they are not bike specific, but they are motor specific
?
Does it still work properly in MPH?
All the stuff I've read says you have to switch to KPH. . .

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Try the badass box, neatest solution and requires no opening up/wiring, just new magnet and slips over the existing sensor, so easy to remove.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yes, it records the ride as being half the real distance, and above 8/9mph shows the speed as being double what it is. However I never really look at the display, and have in fact removed it on one of my bikes (Shimano)

Wurley

Oct 12, 2018
Folkestone
Had an emtb update recently and didnt register it had been derestricted with badass box fitted
My friend had a speed box 2 fitted to his bike which registered it was derestricted

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The badass box is non invasive, in the sense it just fools the existing sensor, rather than replaces it. I am not familiar enough with Bosch/Shimano etc diagnostic systems to know if they could tell one has been fitted.

What I like about it is that its easy to take off, I dont use mine much as I find it eats battery on longer rides, but if I am rinding under 15 miles and going to be on fast tracks I will use it.

Wurley

Oct 12, 2018
Folkestone
Only thing I don’t like with the badassbox is the speedo goes a bit all over the show and there’s a small chance a stick could maybe knock the badass off the sensor
The speedbox reads correct speed all the time

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
The badass box is non invasive, in the sense it just fools the existing sensor, rather than replaces it. I am not familiar enough with Bosch/Shimano etc diagnostic systems to know if they could tell one has been fitted.

What I like about it is that its easy to take off, I dont use mine much as I find it eats battery on longer rides, but if I am rinding under 15 miles and going to be on fast tracks I will use it.
So the badass box works fine with the Shimano setup, no problems with it?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The badass clips pretty securely over the sensor, and then you have the option of zip tying it to the chain stay through the guides on it - its only coming off if you knock the whole sensor off.

If you derestrict your bike, you end up hardly looking at the speed anyway, simply because a lot of the time you find yourself checking it to see if you are near the restriction.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Personally I would like to be able to just raise the restriction a bit, so that it doesn't effect the range as much, its really when riding fast trails that its great, on other terrain its necessary IMO

Wurley

Oct 12, 2018
Folkestone
Mines fitted to a Bosch motor and not had any issues I over 1500 miles
Don’t really bother to look at speedo when riding off road but seem to keep an eye on it when riding on the roads

AllmtnBurks

Jan 19, 2019
South yorkshire
Yes, it records the ride as being half the real distance, and above 8/9mph shows the speed as being double what it is. However I never really look at the display, and have in fact removed it on one of my bikes (Shimano)

They do look like a nice simple solution and been so easy to get on and off is a plus.
Can you get them in the UK or have to order from Germany?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles