Cube 160 Action Team

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Your chain is too long and needs to be shortened, whoever handed that bike to you should set it up properly!

I suggest you bring it to where you bought it and let them fix it - Your gears will need to be adjusted as well.

Karsten

Airz

Aug 16, 2018
Farnborough
Where did you get the bike from? If its only 3 weeks old then I'd contact them about it as it should never have been sent to you like that.

ikaramboo

Sep 21, 2018
Germany
Thank you guys. So basically it’s „only“ too long? Could I still ride with that chain for now, since it’s Sunday or should I wait until the store fixed it?

I bought the bike at a Lokal Cube retailer, which actually has 5 store locations in Munich and two around Munich.
The store where i bought has the shittiest service i ever experienced! I only bought it there because the bike had a huge discount.
They even sold me the fox seatpost with some defections in the kashima coating.
When I asked them to replace it they told me that I would have to leave the bike at the store until fox send them a replacement!! Unbelievable Customer service. I told them to give me a normal seatpost until the new replacement arrived.
Now I am riding normal seatpost since one week and still waiting for the replacement.

The even fucked up the cable of the seatpost remote when they removed the seatpost. It was too narrow around the steem and when I turned the handlebar the cable almost ripped off.
So upset with this store.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I like the Cubes, so this isnt a post slating them, but 2 bike shops that sell them that i know well have said that of all the bikes they sell, the Cubes are the worst put together from the factory, and that they pretty much strip them right down and rebuild them before selling them. Some shops may not be as thorough.

I would suspect that chain is an example of this.

Airz

Aug 16, 2018
Farnborough
@ikaramboo I think you could probably ride it today if you keep the bike in the upper half of the gears so the chain has enough tension.

@R120 I bought mine from Leisure lakes and it was delayed during build because the hose fitting for the front disk brake was incorrect and leaking. They had others in stock with the same issue so they had to wait for a replacement part before sending the bike to me. It certainly fits in with what you've heard.
Still though the LBS that ikaramboo bought his from should have made sure the bike was 100% before handing it over. I would assume an authorised reseller knows what they're signing up to and would make sure to double check the bikes.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Agree with what's said above :) Probably needs 2 links removed. But then the gears might need adjusting or at least checking. I'm not sure I'd trust your original shop to do a good job from what you say, but maybe they can redeem themselves!

It's a fairly straightforward task once you're familiar with it, but if you're not and since it's a new bike I'd get them to do it and set it up right. Then learn how to make adjustments yourself from that setup.

ikaramboo

Sep 21, 2018
Germany
Agree with what's said above :) Probably needs 2 links removed. But then the gears might need adjusting or at least checking. I'm not sure I'd trust your original shop to do a good job from what you say, but maybe they can redeem themselves!/QUOTE]

You were right, 2 links got removed and the rear derailleur got ajusted. (y)
Judging from the looks it seems perfect now. Gotta give it a ride tonight :D

Dawnrazor

Patreon
Jun 11, 2018
Somerset
So I have finally joined the ranks of getting a smashed bash plate - I think its made of pasta. My local bike shop is ordering a replacement but I know there was talk of a custom aluminium replacement somewhere - anyone know if that exists?

ikaramboo

Sep 21, 2018
Germany
Last tour
CD4E1FB7-A0F2-4F13-BA16-59308547B611.jpeg
49CCCAB6-F884-4ACF-AE81-7CA129C21608.jpeg
ADE1BA7E-1478-475E-9159-DCB3D2AF3B7E.jpeg

ikaramboo

Sep 21, 2018
Germany
Dawnrazor Which one do have from Maxxis Minion line? They have different DHR and DHF. Are you happy with the Minion in the back?
Thinking about changing to Maxxis Minion / Highroller or a Continental Baron for this Fall / Winter. Don't know which tyre would be ideal for rainy / muddy / colder conditions.

Dawnrazor

Patreon
Jun 11, 2018
Somerset
Dawnrazor Which one do have from Maxxis Minion line? They have different DHR and DHF. Are you happy with the Minion in the back?
Thinking about changing to Maxxis Minion / Highroller or a Continental Baron for this Fall / Winter. Don't know which tyre would be ideal for rainy / muddy / colder conditions.
I have the DHR and yes happy with the Minion on the back - Rode yesterday in loads of mud and slippery conditions and it was fine. I've no experience with the other tyres so couldn't say.

ikaramboo

Sep 21, 2018
Germany
Nice, that sounds promising. Thanks!
And if you compare the Minion to the Nobby Nic on the back for the same conditions, does is make a difference and is it really noticable for a "normal" mtb rider like myself?

The Magic Mary in front is a keeper?

Dawnrazor

Patreon
Jun 11, 2018
Somerset
Nice, that sounds promising. Thanks!
And if you compare the Minion to the Nobby Nic on the back for the same conditions, does is make a difference and is it really noticable for a "normal" mtb rider like myself?

The Magic Mary in front is a keeper?

The reason I changed to a Maxxis for the rear was to avoid punctures as well as grip. The Nobby Nic is a slightly lighter tyre and I had a snakebite puncture the very first time I rode with it - hence my immediate change to Maxxis. In terms of grip I'm not sure how much difference you would notice - you'd have to ride each for sometime to be able to distinguish. Yep Magic Mary is a keeper.

ikaramboo

Sep 21, 2018
Germany
Has anyone shortened their handlebar on their 160 Action Team? :unsure:

Its really wide with its 820mm and i always get this chopper like feeling when im on my bike. Not sure if i am totally happy with it's width.
However once its shortened, there is no going back so it hard to compare what feels better. :p

Moonballs

Patreon
Aug 15, 2018
Ormskirk
Dropped mine to 800, I am really happy with the change. Just how much the feel of the bike changed was definetly a shock. I feel more nimble and comfortable at the cost of high speed stability. Was definetly an improvement overall increasing my confidence.

I decided to lower them when I noticed I was always gripping as much as I could towards the inner of the grips.
IMG-20181020-WA0000.jpeg

Speci-Rider

Oct 30, 2018
Bavaria
Who sold you a bike so badly assembled at that pricetag?

I would be worried...
Give him a piece of your mind!
Der Depp der saubleede soll liaba Klo putzen als Radl zammbauen!

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
Had my action team for about 6 weeks....absolutely love it
IMG_0385.JPG
IMG_0387.JPG
IMG_0388.JPG
? And wonderful spec for the money....don't think there is a better value bike out there at the minute....shortened my bar to 780 just easier to get trough tight sections in the trees

Last edited:

ikaramboo

Sep 21, 2018
Germany
@Mad Mark Super nice! I love mine (y)

Only thing i would change next is the rear tire and probaby shorten the handlebar to 800mm.

One question on the cup holder, does the bottle fit without any problems? Looks really tight.
I tried the Cube HPP Sidecage with a Camelbag bottle and it didnt fit

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
@Mad Mark Super nice! I love mine (y)

Only thing i would change next is the rear tire and probaby shorten the handlebar to 800mm.

One question on the cup holder, does the bottle fit without any problems? Looks really tight.
I tried the Cube HPP Sidecage with a Camelbag bottle and it didnt fit
I use it with the small cube bottle as in the photo, it is tight but it does not fall out...as you can imagine. Even when you crash...
IMG_0391.JPG
On the subject of weather you sell your old bikes, do what I did and sell the car.....more room for bikes.!
IMG_0395.JPG

Moonballs

Patreon
Aug 15, 2018
Ormskirk
@R120 Smart, might get me one of those.
@Mad Mark Nearly bought the exact same mud guard combo haha.

Was out and about round Ullswater yesterday with @Clansey
20181104_140227.jpg

I plan to get a new rear tyre, the magic marry up front seems like a winner. Once i decide on the rear i have cush core waiting to be installed to, excited to try that out.

Got my problem solvers installed, bars trimmed to 800, Rev grips also on the way as a Christmas present from the other half. Getting closer and closer to a perfect fit.

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
@R120 Smart, might get me one of those.
@Mad Mark Nearly bought the exact same mud guard combo haha.

Was out and about round Ullswater yesterday with @Clansey
View attachment 7269
I plan to get a new rear tyre, the magic marry up front seems like a winner. Once i decide on the rear i have cush core waiting to be installed to, excited to try that out.

Got my problem solvers installed, bars trimmed to 800, Rev grips also on the way as a Christmas present from the other half. Getting closer and closer to a perfect fit.
Nice picture. Love the grips. Just when you think your happy with your bike....DOOH. Don't think that bottle will fit - looks far to big to fit in the gap we have

ikaramboo

Sep 21, 2018
Germany
Yeah i've seen that before but wasnt sure about the quality of the Bottle (BPA free). Its actually a really nice concept. Probably the best solution for the Action Team. I'll give it a try.
Thanks for the tipp ! (y)

————

Not the best picture but I got my fox seatpost back and changed my grips to Ergon GE1. Also the cables on the Cockpit are more clean.

0283FA11-272D-4AEB-9C9D-57E963100FFD.jpeg
B7D6D5B8-17F5-42E1-9F2C-305DE00C7014.jpeg

Last edited:

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
Yeah i've seen that before but wasnt sure about the quality of the Bottle (BPA free). Its actually a really nice concept. Probably the best solution for the Action Team. I'll give it a try.
Thanks for the tipp ! (y)

————

Not the best picture but I got my fox seatpost back and changed my grips to Ergon GE1. Also the cables on the Cockpit are more clean.

View attachment 7286 View attachment 7287
Cables do look very tidy, nice job

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles