Crud XL Fender Review

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Another mudguard review so soon? Well… it is winter so perfect testing conditions were never going to be too difficult to find were they? This time it’s the latest offering from Crud Products. The Crud XL Fender is made by a company with a long long history in helping us mountain bikers keep muck and spray off our clothes, bikes and faces.
Aptly named the XL Fender, it’s a long front fender designed with the intention of keeping as much mud and water out of your field of view as you splash your way around the trails.
So I guess you’ll be wanting to know what this guard’s like and how it compares to the other front fork mounted guards available?
Firstly, fitting the Crud XL honestly couldn’t be an easier or quicker procedure. The guard is a split fender design meaning it doesn’t rely on any fork arch attachment at all. Instead the the guard has a twin strut to attack only to the fork lower legs by way of 3 stretchy o-rings on each leg.
These really do make fitting or removing the...

Continue reading...

8D774435-CD1E-4E09-A59E-044E490C7BE4.jpeg

Last edited:

hiro

Jan 7, 2019
South Yorkshire
New to this and as I’m riding through a lot of mud and loose gravel I’m beginning to see the benefits of mudguards, esp one that can be taken off when I don’t want it. I think Ill order this one , but is there a good performing equivalent for the rear that doesn’t look terrible?

Rawry

Nov 27, 2018
Cleveland
Just fitted mine this morning had a ride out this afternoon and it does a great job, oh and if i can fit one anyone can

hiro

Jan 7, 2019
South Yorkshire
I've got a Crud XL along with a Mudhugger for the rear and finally have a day off work tomorrow so will be fitting them, along with a Brand X dropper and a new front inner tube then and hopefully getting out on it. Just my luck that all the mud has probably gone now as we haven't had rain for ages so probably won't be much of a test.

M

Mark

Great review I just fitted one to my new 2019 Levo comp carbon as a result. One question please, the front part of the guard sits way off to the right no matter how high or low I put it due to it hitting the brake cable guide attached to the frame. Am I missing something very simple or do they all do that? Thanks in advance.

Fire_2

May 11, 2019
Kent
Great review I just fitted one to my new 2019 Levo comp carbon as a result. One question please, the front part of the guard sits way off to the right no matter how high or low I put it due to it hitting the brake cable guide attached to the frame. Am I missing something very simple or do they all do that? Thanks in advance.

Can you remove the Caliper and reroute the cable inside of the fork leg?

I don’t think so, it’s hitting a cable guide that’s attached to the fork? I haven’t tried it in anger yet as I only fitted it last night so it may work ok but it looks to me like I’ll still get splattered in the muck! Thanks for replying?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
RS fork?
the guard shouldn't touch the fork hose guide at all

you can see my brake hose routing here

Zoom in if needs be.
DSC_1804.JPG

It runs inside under the foam. And doesn't affect positioning of the guard in any way.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
M

Mark

Hi Gary,
Thanks very much for taking the time to help! I’ll get a proper look at it over the weekend. Much appreciated, the weather is terrible here so I will most definitely need the guards!
Cheers,
Mark

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
@Gary how did the fender do over the winter? Survive? Are you still using it?

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Anyone know of a seller in the States for the Crud XL?

Shipping from UK makes this costly, and I just broke one in half?.

Love the fender. The ease of removal/install makes it my choice.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Email Mr crud. He's acrually a member here. And a thoroughly decent bloke.
Still using the XL 3 years and 3 Ebikes on.
The rear portion at the end of my guard broke off after about 6 months from being bent each time I chucked the (whole) bike in the back of the car. Laid flat it was resting on that portion. But I prefer the look of the guard without it anyway and performance hasn't really changed for its loss.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Email Mr crud. He's acrually a member here. And a thoroughly decent bloke.
Still using the XL 3 years and 3 Ebikes on.
The rear portion at the end of my guard broke off after about 6 months from being bent each time I chucked the (whole) bike in the back of the car. Laid flat it was resting on that portion. But I prefer the look of the guard without it anyway and performance hasn't really changed for its loss.
Will do. Maybe I need to setup and Ebay shop selling them in the US. This is a great product and I'm determined to have it replaced.

D

Deleted member 7464

I'm using one of these mudguards on my winter bike and I have to say that I'm really impressed,it also goes well with my crud rear mudguard ??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles