Crikey I just put a deposit on a Jam 2 6.8 9

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Hi guys well this decision even shocked me today :) I am after my first ebike and was set on a Levo Expert and even though I had negotiated the price down to £6000 spending that sort of money just didn't sit well with me and the thing is I have been on this Focus forum quite a few times and looked at pictures of the bike and read many reviews, the Jam 2 really appealed to me as I also like something a bit left field as well.

I wanted a 500wh battery and I know this one doesn't have that but for a lot of rides I know I will be fine on the standard battery, the one thing that was putting me off was the extra battery sat on the frame as I know it doesn't look great :) but hey ho it will be nice to have that as back up.

I have ordered the 6.8 9 model with the 29 inch wheels in that nice blue and with a tec pack as well, I also asked for it to be made tubeless and swap the tyres for two Shwalbe an eddy on the rear and a mary up front, I agreed a price of £3850 which I think is pretty good and a massive saving on the Levo :)

I know the Levo would be a great bike but I know the Jam will be as well and if I had ordered a Levo which I nearly did today I would have felt good but also I would be seeing the £6000 price in my head all the time :)

I have a fair old drive next weekend to get it but that's ok, I haven't ridden one so I am hoping the riding position etc is good :)

Any help/advice would be much appreciated do I need to do anything special with both batteries when they are new?

Thanks

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
Good saving to put towards the wife’s bike. Think it’s better with the E6000 switch and the dropper lever rotated downward.

Where did you get it from?

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
Change it he changer for this switch.

4AD0DF90-207B-4D78-BA0E-A74AA64653B0.jpeg

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
With the Shimano system a lot of the components like shifters and displays are interchangeable for different versions. You should check this thread for more on the E6000 & E7000 mode switchers if interested: That’s better - EMTB Forums

I still use the E8000 paddle shifters though tempted to try some others. But I actually think I change assist modes more often than I raise/lower the saddle so left it as is for now.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
With the Shimano system a lot of the components like shifters and displays are interchangeable for different versions. You should check this thread for more on the E6000 & E7000 mode switchers if interested: That’s better - EMTB Forums

I still use the E8000 paddle shifters though tempted to try some others. But I actually think I change assist modes more often than I raise/lower the saddle so left it as is for now.

Ahh ok thanks for that so it's something I can do myself if I think it will be better for me :)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The standard bike comes with the Shimano Di2 levers to change mode. highpeakrider's reference to the e6000 switch was as an alternative to the Di2 levers.

Yes, I can see that the rocker switch weighs less and looks neater but I prefer the Di2 levers to the rocker switch for one simple reason. When riding over rough ground I found that I inadvertently pressed the rocker switch more than the one time I wanted. So I ended up in Boost or even "off" one time. I'm new to emtb and I concede that I may change my mind. But I've been riding mountain bikes for over ten years now and I know what I like when it comes to bar layout and how it all works. My problem with the rocker switch occurred on every single emtb I tested except the Focus, which had the Di2 levers.

The one layout tip I would give is to move the dropper remote from between the Di2 and the brake to next to the grip, like this:
Levers front.jpg

It puts the brake lever in a better place for your index finger, and the dropper for your thumb. The Di2 levers are long enough that your thumb also can reach them easily.

Last edited:

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
All that talk about spesh & cube, then you go and buy a focus
What's your mrs having now.

Haha I know what am I like:) I couldn't spend that much on a Levo and as much as I loved the Cube I couldn't get the one I wanted as it was sold out but I had been looking at the Focus for a good while, as for Linda I think she is just going to wait for a while and enjoy her Haibike but she will change hers at some point.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Haha don't you worry it would never happen :)

Good call! I suspect that there would be a bike exclusion zone around you both as you rode together. Every day you rode out all the other riders would be just on the edge of your vision.
You may see that as a good thing however!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles