Levo Gen 2 Creaking Turbo Levo

Apr 10, 2020
Essex, England
Hello all. As per my previous post, I still have unresolved creaking on my 2020 turbo Levo comp. it goes away after a wash for a day, but returns without fail a day or two later. It’s noticeable when I push on the pedals and hold the handle bars. Leave the bars and the creak goes away, stop peddling and it stops. But I can’t find the source. Help appreciated.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
I have the same bike and model, and have a creaking when I pedal, which is increasing over time, but as I am up for a motor replacement this week I haven’t investigated any further.

In your case it could be anywhere that is supposed to have som grease I would think. A full suspension bike has lots of slight movement. Sorry for not being more helpful.

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Same bike and for last couple of 100km looks like I have same creaking sounds when I push the pedals. I found out it creaks little bit less when riding for some time or maybe my ears are getting used to it :p

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Try replacing the plastic headset spacers with alloy ones (just the ones under the stem) and check the headset is adjusted properly.

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
I had exactly this with the same description and in my case, it was the seat post. It required lifting out the whole thing to clean and then lightly grease the lower shaft of the dropper. It means you have to remove the shock to get access to the cable clamps but it's not too bad. Removing dropper lever from brake clamp might help to get more cable to move in.

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
I've developed several and cured several creaks on my 2020 comp. The most annoying was the seatpost, in part because it was the hardest to service since it involved loosening the dropper cable. The hardest to find ended up being the bolt that holds the chain guide. I had replaced the guide with a different one back when I had the larger chainring. Although the bolt was pretty tight it wasn't torqued to spec. Keep looking. Silence is bliss.

Apr 10, 2020
Essex, England
Hi everyone and thanks for your useful comments. I have found the culprit, the seat post. Loosened the clamp, pulled up as far as I could , it was dusty and gritty. Cleaned, torqued the bolt and silence. Not convinced this will be long lived, but for now am happy I know the source. As still under warranty, will let Specialized deal with any recurring noise. Happy riding

Apr 10, 2020
Essex, England
Thank you. I will look at the chain ring bolt. As suspected, the creaking has come back. I undo the seat post bolt, pull the post as far as I can (sounds gritty) wipe the post and re torque. Ok for one ride then the creak returns. Back in Specialized workshop Monday week.

p060064h

Jun 19, 2019
Exeter
I have the same bike and model, and have a creaking when I pedal, which is increasing over time, but as I am up for a motor replacement this week I haven’t investigated any further.

In your case it could be anywhere that is supposed to have som grease I would think. A full suspension bike has lots of slight movement. Sorry for not being more helpful.
Did the new motor sort the issue ?

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
Thank you. I will look at the chain ring bolt. As suspected, the creaking has come back. I undo the seat post bolt, pull the post as far as I can (sounds gritty) wipe the post and re torque. Ok for one ride then the creak returns. Back in Specialized workshop Monday week.
That was the same behavior I had with my annoying seatpost creak. I.e. the creak would initially be gone after cleaning the seat post, but kept coming back, sometimes partway through the very next ride. :(

I eventually solved it by loosening removing the lever and loosening the three cable clamps behind the shock so I could completely remove the seat post from the frame. A thorough cleaning of both the full length of the post and inside of the seat tube did finally resolve the problem and the bike has stayed quiet for several hundred miles.

I did have one false alarm when I thought the creak had returned, but it turns out it was just the motor mount bolt that holds the chain retainer wasn't as tight and it was supposed to be.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
Did the new motor sort the issue ?

Well, yes, but mostly because my LBS threw in a full service as well. Then everything was tight and noiseless.

I think I had it coming back now though. And it seems to be the chain guard rubbing in high gears.

And a new creak from the fork area after a lot of washing of the bike. I guess there’s an area without grease now.

Apr 10, 2020
Essex, England
Hi all. Just got bike back from Specialized and the seem to have resolved the incessant creaking.
“ I have since found it to be the saddle as we swapped that out and that has resolved it, we have also swapped out the linkage for a new one as there was a previous issue with these making noise”
so far, so good.

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
I have the same issue periodically. Every now and then (few months) the creaking will start, remove the seat post, regreese it and all is fixed again. Enjoy

Deadeye

Oct 6, 2019
Florida
Same plastic creaking on a 2020 Levo - I have posted about this before. I have noticed its temperature dependent and when over ~80 degrees outside its pretty quiet. Fortunately I live in FL so it doesn't bother me that often. It sometimes creaks at the beginning of a ride on a cooler day but goes away after a couple miles as the motor heats up. I image if I was riding around in 50 degree weather it would be creaking up a storm and kill the ride. If I knew exactly where to squirt some grease I think I could fix it...

fraatti

Jun 1, 2020
Finland
My bike also makes some creaking while ground is bumpy.

I tried put some teflon drylube between these shims but it didn't help. I think I'll try some other lube next time. Does anyone know which is the exact part that makes that noise?

1598454042413.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles