Creaking rear end OH!

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow
Fed up with creaking noise from rear shock area, so today tried to fix it by removing shock mounting bolts clean and regrease. Sounds simple you say.
Managed to remove top mount however when re-installing it now simply turns without tightening and the shock now barely moves.
I may have stripped the bolt but if so I am not sure why that would affect the shock travel. Good news it no longer creaks.
Any suspension experts point me in the right direction? Not sure if bolt is a unique to Focus part or generic. Focus parts list anyone?

Stanny_uk

Oct 15, 2019
Uk
Creak is always bigmain pivot. Take out bolt cable tie swing arm up to saddle regrease main pivot.. Back together

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow
Thanks for the ideas Stanny and highpeakrider.
Once I get new shock top mounting bolt sorted and some movement in the shock again I will look at these areas.
Still need to source new shock top mounting bolt.

Stanny_uk

Oct 15, 2019
Uk
That tip came to me from my mech at leisure lakes.. Wheel out lift with cable tie whilst greasing main pivot.. Top tip maxima ultima motocross grease.. Marine grade waterproof is top dog!!!

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Focus parts list anyone?
fo20_explo_website_jam2_al.jpg

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow
On closer look this is for Bosch version, I have Shimano model. The rear shock mounts are probably the same but although I can identify the rocker arm or linkage set from the diagram, item no 2, I cannot see any mention of rear shock or mounting hardware. I checked the Focus website under tools and maintenance as well as components/rear suspension and cannot find any mention of mounting kit or bolt. Also checked Sram website along with some suspension tuning sites but cannot find 25x8mm shock mounting bolt anywhere.

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow
I got the shock bolts from a focus dealer, near to me in Ballater (Scotland) I couldn’t source them anywhere else after searching on google
I am in Glasgow, local dealer I bought the bike from are not very helpful. Gave it to them for 1 year service and it came back worse than when it went in. Hence trying to do more routine stuff myself. Who is dealer in Ballater?

Telemarker

May 4, 2019
Aberdeenshire
It’s called Bike Station
This shop near Aviemore also a focus dealer, at boat of garten

Going to pop into the shop near aviemore soon as need a new mech hanger

bike station didn’t have them in stock for Sam2 when I dropped by last Sunday after a ride. Bought one they thought might fit from a non ebike Sam. But it doesn’t, shape is too wide. They knew wheel drop out slot different angle but reckoned it would work,

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
On closer look this is for Bosch version, I have Shimano model. The rear shock mounts are probably the same but although I can identify the rocker arm or linkage set from the diagram, item no 2, I cannot see any mention of rear shock or mounting hardware. I checked the Focus website under tools and maintenance as well as components/rear suspension and cannot find any mention of mounting kit or bolt. Also checked Sram website along with some suspension tuning sites but cannot find 25x8mm shock mounting bolt anywhere.

Ah well, no problem. All the exploded diagrams and parts lists are on this page about halfway down in the tab called "Exploded Drawings".

jonas

Feb 9, 2020
Germany
Was anyone able to get the single bolt replaced? The only option at my local dealer (in Germany) is a "pivot set" (K0330019039 for the sam2) for 90€, and shipping being being delayed to at least mid-october.

The source of the creaking seems to come from the shock mounting moving directly on the bolt, as the shock doesn't have ball bearings in the mount. My mounting bolt is pretty badly worn by now.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Focus Jam2 6.9 ..

Annoying creak when pedalling hard.

Seat up. Seat Down. Standing . Seated. Shocks open . Shocks locked. Different pedals .. creak creak creak creak.

Checked all the usual things, lubed. All was good from the factory in fairness.

Crashed today and had to adjust the dropper post/saddle. Over tightened the collar rather than using the torque wrench.

Creak has gone !

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles