• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Creaking noise from front of bike

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
With the recent dry weather, I’ve noticed a creaking noise which seems to be coming from the handlebar area but hard to tell exactly where.

The screws which hold the handlebar on don’t seem lose.

Maybe its coming from the headset?
Any ideas? What should I try first?

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I get that a fair bit. Are you a Clydesdale like me? :)

If not I'd say maybe yes check the torque settings on the headset bolts. Can you replicate it while stationary by compressing the suspension and listen to narrow down the location?

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Could be anything as creaky noises travel all over ! Check all bolts are tight , I’d sit on the bike and push the bars up/down , then do same with feet off pedals , same with arse off the seat . You should be able to narrow it down . Could be grit in bar clamps/seatpost clamps/pedals , loose chainring or any bearings so good luck ?

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
This is a good video of a few basic things to check:
A little bit more involved but for bigger travel forks I have personally experienced fork stanchion creek myself and a good video of this can be found here:

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Could be anything... and not necessarily from the spot you think the noise is coming from.

In my particular case (months ago), it came from the stem portion that clamps over the handlebar. It was a cheap stem with a faulty machined interface which has since been replaced. Problem solved, lesson learnt.

Hope you find your gremlin and please let us know what it was when you do.

Simps

Aug 18, 2019
Staffordshire
I had a creak which I swore was the seatpost and removed it, stripped it down and greased it twice only to find it was the motor bolts that were loose by less than a quarter turn each. It sounded like the seatpost but must of been resonating through the frame.
Tightened them up and no creaks. Least I know my seat and seatpost won't need any attention for a while :unsure::whistle:
Cassette came loose yesterday too so I tightened that up and everything else on the bike, amazing what comes loose over a few months.

Ripping g

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 8, 2019
West yorkshire
With the recent dry weather, I’ve noticed a creaking noise which seems to be coming from the handlebar area but hard to tell exactly where.

The screws which hold the handlebar on don’t seem lose.

Maybe its coming from the headset?
Any ideas? What should I try first?
. ive a levo thats started to do same when you push n pull on the bars checked all my bolts ??‍♂️

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles