Creaking motor covers

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
After sending my dropper post in for a warranty repair and getting it fully serviced and rebuilt because of a very annoying creak, I’ve discovered the source of the noise is actually my motor covers ???mainly the left but right side too most noticed under loaded pedalling...

Anyone else had it and more importantly solved it?

2018 Levo...

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
After sending my dropper post in for a warranty repair and getting it fully serviced and rebuilt because of a very annoying creak, I’ve discovered the source of the noise is actually my motor covers ???mainly the left but right side too most noticed under loaded pedalling...

2018 Levo...
Some people have wrapped the edges in foam rubber tape, others apply grease to the edges.
They might be torqued down too tight.
When my bike starts creaking when I pedal, It has been the right motor cover with a broken screw hole
79F1E58C-B636-4575-9F6D-1843EECE8516.jpeg

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
Some people have wrapped the edges in foam rubber tape, others apply grease to the edges.
They might be torqued down too tight.
When my bike starts creaking when I pedal, It has been the right motor cover with a broken screw hole
View attachment 5949

I knew you’d know ????

EDIT: do you know what torque they should be?

Churchill

Jul 15, 2018
Idaho
My Kenevo was creaking horribly so I applied a thin coating of grease around the edges of each cover. This solved 99.9% of the creaking. After 3 months it's creaking again and louder then ever. So now I wear head phones.

Peko

Sep 23, 2018
Germany
I'm using grease at the edge of all covers, an o-ring under every screw-head and tight them with a torque of ca. 1Nm.

It helps a few weeks, but the creaking always comes back.

Levorunner

Jun 16, 2018
Canada

2018 Levo...
Just had my 2018 Levo at my LBS today for the same problem! My mechanic told me it was the chain retention bracket not being adjusted properly! He has never heard of motor covers being a problem and basically laughed at me and told me to make an appointment so he could adjust the chain retention bracket! I laughed at him and left the store! ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles