Crazy creaking.. defective frame or just yt crap quality?

engate

Mar 7, 2020
Hungary
Hi

I had multiple full sus ebikes but never experienced something like this even after really hard abuse and thousands of kilometers.
But this one after 200 km sounds like a cheap full sus walmart bike.
I took the pivots apart and re-greased them,it was fine for 1-2 rides,then started creaking again..

I'm below the weight limit by about 15 kg and as I said didn't have any issues like this with other brands,so that's not an excuse.
I told my friend who's 52kg to do the same what I did in the creak 1,2 video,same result,creaks like crazy.

And the other weird thing is that there's a black spot in the frame above the battery not sure what it is.

Videos about the issue:
Creak 1
Creak 2
Frame defect?

Anyone experienced something similar?

Thanks for the help

Last edited:

ziscwg

Sep 18, 2019
US
First, I had to manually download the videos to get them to run. Put them on Youtube and embed the link. It works way better.

Is that the stock shock? I thought the pro race came with a Fox X2. In the US they do. I'm not sure where you are located. The Fox Float in the video will likely get overwhelmed on descents. At a minumum, you should have a piggy back shock (Fox DPX2) on there.

If you swapped the shock, you have to make sure the mounts are torqued properly.

If that does not resolve the issue, put the X2 back on and see if your problem persists.

Also, if you did anything with the geo flipchip, check everything there to make sure either side did not cracked and is seated properly.

Next, head set. Put the bike upside down on a soft surface. grab the uppers just below the lowers. try an move it with some force. Look at the headset. Any movement?

Next, how are your pedals? Are the bearings good? Al flat pedal bearings which are blown make a crapload of noise.

Call YT if possible. They are beyond helpful in resolving issues.

Last edited:

engate

Mar 7, 2020
Hungary
Yeah I replaced the X2 with DPS while my X2 is being serviced at YT (air in the oil). Didn't last long..

I torque,grease,threadlock everything based on the Decoy Exploded Drawing.

Found the issue. Grease gets displaced after a couple of rides and the taper washer rubs on the main pivot axle creating the noise in the video.(metal on metal contact).

Faulty design from YT. so unfortunate :(
I packed it with even more grease and increased the torque by 20% on the taper washer screw.
We'll see if it can survive at least 5 rides..after all it's a 2 min job to re-grease it if it makes that noise again
89085201_525537911472749_4777267036436824064_n.jpg

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Having the same exact issue. My educated guess that it's the bottom bracket area. Ugh. Sounds like you recorded my bike. Just got it in the last week. It's on the non drive side of the motor, and it seems for sure it's a bearing or something. Guess it's a Shimanio warrantyt item?

Last edited:

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Just take out the shock. Put the bike in a stand and check by feel the rear suspension. Should be smooth. Fact that the noise dissapeared for a short while after greasing the pivot suggests the problem is just there. Noticed in video 2 that it is worse when you apply pressure on the drive side. Maybe there is a spacer somewhere missing. Check the layout of the bike and see if all the spacers and rings are installed in the correct order.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Ok, so it was the motor mounts for my bike. They just need to be snugged up a bit. A new one for all. I also have to say, once Again, YT USA was simply awesome. They led me through a entire scenario from top to bottom. First think they say was "sorry", and we'll get you taken care of. They were bending over backwards and had me know they would 100% take care of me. "call us back for anything". So for all the YT complaints out there, I can only say I've had excellent service and support. Way to go YT and my bike is soooo silent now.

ziscwg

Sep 18, 2019
US
Ok, so it was the motor mounts for my bike. They just need to be snugged up a bit. A new one for all. I also have to say, once Again, YT USA was simply awesome. They led me through a entire scenario from top to bottom. First think they say was "sorry", and we'll get you taken care of. They were bending over backwards and had me know they would 100% take care of me. "call us back for anything". So for all the YT complaints out there, I can only say I've had excellent service and support. Way to go YT and my bike is soooo silent now.

I had a small issue with my base model. I think the part was arriving as I hit send on the email. Yeah, they are that helpful. Elliot and crew at YT USA are great. Can you imagine if cust service this good was the "norm"?

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Hi

I had multiple full sus ebikes but never experienced something like this even after really hard abuse and thousands of kilometers.
But this one after 200 km sounds like a cheap full sus walmart bike.
I took the pivots apart and re-greased them,it was fine for 1-2 rides,then started creaking again..

I'm below the weight limit by about 15 kg and as I said didn't have any issues like this with other brands,so that's not an excuse.
I told my friend who's 52kg to do the same what I did in the creak 1,2 video,same result,creaks like crazy.

And the other weird thing is that there's a black spot in the frame above the battery not sure what it is.

Videos about the issue:
Creak 1
Creak 2
Frame defect?

Anyone experienced something similar?

Thanks for the help
Id look to the headset. Sometimes new bikes dont have the headset fully seated. Mine took a few tightens to stop the creak i had. Cleaned the inside of the stem to get a good clamp on the steerer and added anti sieze to the bolts. Seems to have worked but maybe its a cost cutting part that will need to be replaced

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
Yesterday I had a very similar noise so tonight after work I had a look if I ride the bike sat down no noise but when riding stood up the noise was present. So into the garage an lent the bike over and pushed the frame sideways an the noise was there held different parts an I could feel it creaking through the frame. I put it on the stand an started to strip it down an this it what I found. It seems like the chain stay is too close to the frame there is a small seal/shim between the bearing an chainstay, so just to prove my theory I made a shim to fit in there an space it out an it’s now all good it has clearance. Noise gone but surely that can’t be right I will be speaking to yt I would show vids but they won’t load at the mo
IMG_2997.jpg
IMG_2996.jpg
IMG_2992.jpg
IMG_2991.jpg
IMG_2990.jpg
IMG_2984.jpg
IMG_2983.jpg
IMG_2982.jpg
IMG_2981.jpg

Last edited:

redrhino

Mar 24, 2020
california
Yeah I replaced the X2 with DPS while my X2 is being serviced at YT (air in the oil). Didn't last long..

I torque,grease,threadlock everything based on the Decoy Exploded Drawing.

Found the issue. Grease gets displaced after a couple of rides and the taper washer rubs on the main pivot axle creating the noise in the video.(metal on metal contact).

Faulty design from YT. so unfortunate :(
I packed it with even more grease and increased the torque by 20% on the taper washer screw.
We'll see if it can survive at least 5 rides..after all it's a 2 min job to re-grease it if it makes that noise again
View attachment 27112

Did you ever find a long term solution to this? I have the same issue and can't get it solved. If I take out the taper washers and grease them the creak is gone for a couple rides, but then comes back with a vengeance.

In an act of desperation I put a little carbon paste on the taper washer thinking it would prevent any movement. It did and actually solved the creak, but as might be expected the taper washer was then frozen stuck in there. When I tried to remove it a couple months later and I had to mangle it to get it out and replace it. So it isn't a viable solution. So I just greased the new one again and the creak is back. Ugh.

ziscwg

Sep 18, 2019
US
Did you ever find a long term solution to this? I have the same issue and can't get it solved. If I take out the taper washers and grease them the creak is gone for a couple rides, but then comes back with a vengeance.

In an act of desperation I put a little carbon paste on the taper washer thinking it would prevent any movement. It did and actually solved the creak, but as might be expected the taper washer was then frozen stuck in there. When I tried to remove it a couple months later and I had to mangle it to get it out and replace it. So it isn't a viable solution. So I just greased the new one again and the creak is back. Ugh.
Put a layer of plummers pipe dope (not the putty) or wrap the taper washer with a little bit of plumers teflon tape. This technique works great to remove creaks from the BB area of bikes.

redrhino

Mar 24, 2020
california
Put a layer of plummers pipe dope (not the putty) or wrap the taper washer with a little bit of plumers teflon tape. This technique works great to remove creaks from the BB area of bikes.

Solid idea, will have to give it a try and hope it doesn't get stuck again.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
following: 2021 decoy 29 core 4 and 500+ miles in... creaking started! seems to be head tube and bottom area!

Help...
Headset is the ez first step. Dusty conditions usually the culprit. Then shock eyelet bolts/hardware, cranks/axle interface. If that doesnt catch it i'd go for the pivots starting at the big main pivot(chainstay/frame interface). The pivots are super ez to remove clean and grease. No need to take the chainring off or drop the motor to get at them. You might have to remove the rear wheel to get at a couple pivots easier. You'll have to do any of this sometime so you my as well get stuck into it. All ez things that only reauire an allen wrench or 2. The decoy has been designed to make it ez for the user. Good luck
Also other culprits can be carbon bars/stem interface and/or pedals. You should be able to narrow it done by how you flex the bike. Eg flex the frame on the pedals holding the top tube, then holding the bars etc

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles