North Yorkshire
Product Image:
6441D432-F936-4B93-A495-F5CB6EAD7297.jpeg

5E10592D-C212-4716-9842-6BBC05A8D585.jpeg

48121502-B735-495F-9C5F-663D6342BFD9.jpeg

Product name: Crank Brothers Joplin Dropper Remote
Price paid: £33.99
Score (out of 10): 9

Review: I have been trying to find a seatpost remote with the leverage of a 1x type remote to work alongside the ‘Rapidfire’ mode selector used with the Shimano motor.
I appreciate others have used the the mode selector from the E6000 range to enable the use of a 1x control but I like the E8000 shifter and wanted something that would work with that.

Crank Bros produced a retro fit remote called the Joplin to work with their early under seat lever posts. It has a joystick type design which can be pushed in any direction to function the dropper. It has a fair bit more leverage than the standard push down levers commonly supplied. The advantage of this design being you can position it pretty much where you like, even round the front of the bar and operate it like a trigger.

I found one on Chain Reaction for half the cost of a Wolf Tooth, Cane Creek or similar 1x lever so gave it a punt.

Crank Brothers Joplin Seatpost Remote Kit | Chain Reaction Cycles

It was easy to fit. I used the old cable sleeve and just inserted a new Slickwire shifter cable, mounted the control and positioned it to taste.

What can I say, it works well, a lot easier than the old lever and I get to keep the Shimano Rapidfire selector. ??

The only real picky improvement would be a choice of colour for the leaver as the old anodised green one was quite nice....

Last edited by a moderator:

Re-Cycle

Jul 13, 2018
Netherlands
The remote lever that comes with the el cheapo T-Mars dropper posts looks a lot like this one. The clamp works with a hinge so you don't have to remove the grips to mount it.
And they come in colors ;)

Another advantage is that the cable clamps on the lever-side (with two small screws), so you can leave the post in the frame when mounting it (if your cable is long enough).

I'm in doubt if I'm going to use the T-Mars remote lever or if I go the E6000 & under bar remote route. The first option is cheaper (I have a T-Mars lever in the parts-box), the second option is more ergonomic I think. Since I already have the remote lever I'm going to try that first and see how it feels...

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
The remote lever that comes with the el cheapo T-Mars dropper posts looks a lot like this one. The clamp works with a hinge so you don't have to remove the grips to mount it.
And they come in colors ;)

Another advantage is that the cable clamps on the lever-side (with two small screws), so you can leave the post in the frame when mounting it (if your cable is long enough).

I'm in doubt if I'm going to use the T-Mars remote lever or if I go the E6000 & under bar remote route. The first option is cheaper (I have a T-Mars lever in the parts-box), the second option is more ergonomic I think. Since I already have the remote lever I'm going to try that first and see how it feels...
Can you get the remote on it’s own?
I have never really been happy with the DVO dropper I put on my bike to replace the standard one. Ideally I’d like to install a OneUp components dropper but that is set up like the one you described with the clamp at the lever end.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles