Crank bearing protection

Chris6

Apr 4, 2019
South west
Hi I’ve been thinking about some extra sealing for the crank bearings to increase life & minimise water ingress . 10 mm high density foam cut to form a washer to fit snug over the crank splines & external diameter to fit inside plastic housing .Washer greased both sides .It will spin with the cranks so unknown longevity but could prove effective against water splash .I have made some but not fitted . Any views out there from the tech minded appreciated ,good/bad idea.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Great idea! Any pics? Having studied 1200Pete's - performancelinebearings' - video on Brose S overhaul, it seems the left hand side crank shaft bearing is the ingress point. It then tracks behind the pulley wheel, filling the motor and eventually destroys all bearings on the crank shaft.

5:43 Left side crank shaft bearing

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
Without wishing to burst your bubble, wouldn't you have thought that Specialized, or Brose, with all their £1000's spent on R&D combined, would have put this, or something similar into production, if it had any value?
In your attempts to keep it out, how confident are you, that it wont, keep it in, creating more longterm issues?
By all means, give it a bash, & report back your findings..

Chris6

Apr 4, 2019
South west
Without wishing to burst your bubble, wouldn't you have thought that Specialized, or Brose, with all their £1000's spent on R&D combined, would have put this, or something similar into production, if it had any value?
In your attempts to keep it out, how confident are you, that it wont, keep it in, creating more longterm issues?
By all means, give it a bash, & report back your findings..[/QUOTE

Appreciate what you are saying ,I’m aware of what you are saying could be an issue.Unfortunately manufacturers wether cars or bikes for example , no matter what they spent very often do not get it right or put right if incorrect.The video in the above post shows the potential damage (all be it unknown circumstances regarding that motor).As I said good / bad comments welcome .Just an idea .

BF7549EC-4EC9-4A60-84CE-6AC2C0EC15D3.jpeg

539517ED-7F9E-459E-B8CD-602971764C24.jpeg

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
When I took the left hand motor cover off I noticed a thick blue grease on the axle. Anyone know what it is? Various blue greases are cited for waterproofing qualities and it strikes me this may be useful here.

Chris6

Apr 4, 2019
South west
Sorry only just seen this post as i am searching for the same, has this worked for you?

Still early days to tell , no signs of moisture or dirt behind washer at present.Washer still good . Bike only has 49hrs on it, all be
it in wet & muddy conditions.Only a damp cloth is used on the frame & motor area .The drive side is better splash protected with the Amygos bash guard which extends to protect the chainring.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles