Crank arm removal

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I would like to renew my outer and inner shifter cable on my Whyte e150rs which is internally routed but I need to remove the crank arm on the NON drive side to remove the plastic motor cover, does anyone know how to do that, do I need a special tool, any help greatly appreciated please

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Identify the crank type....Park Tools videos on YT will help you do that. If it is self extracting no special tool needed. Otherwise you need a crank extraction tool...cheap enough.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Sorry about that Mike, it’s a Sram crank, if it’s of any help I could take some pictures.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Here’s a picture of my crank arm guys, the black cap is a 10mm allen cap with an 8mm Allen nut underneath if that’s any help please
image.jpg

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Looks like auto-extract bolt to me. Just use an Allan key on the inner bolt, undo maybe a half turn, you feel resistance and keep going. It can be tough to get it undone so I have the bike on its wheels, stand on the RHS, and lean over so I can push down on the crank arm with my left hand and the Allan key with my right.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Yep agreed...its self extracting. The inner bolt is the extractor ( so you use that one). The outer is the bolt the extractor pushes against to draw the crank off the spindle.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Oh right, I had to read both the last posts a couple of times to let it sink in but I get what you’re both saying, I’ll get a new inner and outer shifter cable and tackle that myself, very much appreciate you both taking the time to explain to the bike ‘o’ phobe (me)?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles