Covid: A boring responsibility question ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Nope .. not you guys ... the elected (or otherwise) muppets ...

For instance :

So Bozzo says you can't come into the UK unless you've had a negative test before you set off ... ok .. Cool .. Sounds sensible ... you don't want variants ...

BUT .. the UK new it had a more transmittable variant in October .. but screw everyone else ... I mean, ok, we'll chew china a new one, but if we have a worse virus derivative ... everyone else can have it right ? Because, well, it might take a tiny bit of effort to stop a global pandemic .. and not make it worse ... What would the world think if we had a new virus strain and said nothing about it for three months ?

What I just don't understand is the simple principle of responsibility ? I know in our modern political world it's all about shirking it, but if you can now test to at least a semi reliable level, infection or not, for someone to be allowed to arrive ? Why can you not take responsibility and do the same for ALL departures ?

Lorries can't leave the UK to Enter France without a negative test because the FRENCH won't let them - surely - as you want to stop a pandemic, ANY country shouldn't let ANYONE LEAVE their borders unless they have a NEGATIVE test ? The UK especially from October on wards should have put this in place and did diddly squat - now it's global.

In fairness, bozzo did nothing to stop it spreading in the UK either - but as he's now King Boris of the Empire and he's finally made himself a bigger fish in a smaller pond, his internal rules and decisions are the UK's - but as he wants to be a global player, you think he'd like to at least play fair with the world as a whole now everyone is equal in his eyes.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
you think he'd like to at least play fair with the world as a whole now everyone is equal in his eyes.
There's your problem - he thinks nothing of the sort. His sort have been pimping the populist, nationalist BS lie of British (more accurately, English) Exceptionalism for so long, that they actually believe it.

That, and a genetically predisposed inability to take responsibility for the outcomes of their decisions (whatever it is, it's always someone else's fault) - and here we are.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
As far as I can tell, the new variant was discovered in the UK because the UK has extremely good facilities and has been doing lots of tests. But because it was discovered here, everyone assumes that it mutated here. It is well known that the UK has had up until today an extremely lax approach to border security as far as Covid is concerned. Flights were arriving around the clock from places with much worse Covid infections than the UK and the passengers were just waved through. I believe that policy was stupid in the extreme, but it would account for why the UK has a pretty bad time of it. Those in charge at PHE (Public Health England) should be named, and shamed and have all their public honours removed.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
What I just don't understand is the simple principle of responsibility ? I know in our modern political world it's all about shirking it, but if you can now test to at least a semi reliable level, infection or not, for someone to be allowed to arrive ? Why can you not take responsibility and do the same for ALL departures ?
To spend less.
We all know money is more important to our governement than the lives of johnny foreigner

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Facts matter......never mind that they fail to fit the narrative.

The UK Govt was informed of the new variant in mid December, and informed the WHO as soon as it was given that information. The Scientists were continuously tracking the mutation of the virus..........more than 20 mutations overall.........and most have no impact on the behaviour of the virus. A mutation of the spike protein called N501Y was however identified as being responsible for enhancing the ability of the virus to infect human tissue. That was only recognised when undertaking research to find out why an area of Kent began to see a big increase in infections in mid november. That research identified that it was the N501Y mutation that was responsible and infections with that variant were traced back to October within the tests in Kent.
N501Y has since been identified as a mutation ( without being recognised at the time) in Australia USA and Brazil as far back as June 2020. The scientists do not yet any of those were where the variant originated or whether the mutation was spontaneous in a wider variety of locations. The variant was almost certainly already throughout Europe by October 2020.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

The UK Govt was informed of the new variant in mid December, and informed the WHO as soon as it was given that information. The Scientists were continuously tracking the mutation of the virus..........more than 20 mutations overall.........and most have no impact on the behaviour of the virus. A mutation of the spike protein called N501Y was however identified as being responsible for enhancing the ability of the virus to infect human tissue. That was only recognised when undertaking research to find out why an area of Kent began to see a big increase in infections in mid november. That research identified that it was the N501Y mutation that was responsible and infections with that variant were traced back to October within the tests in Kent.
N501Y has since been identified as a mutation ( without being recognised at the time) in Australia USA and Brazil as far back as June 2020. The scientists do not yet any of those were where the variant originated or whether the mutation was spontaneous in a wider variety of locations. The variant was almost certainly already throughout Europe by October 2020.
Much more convincing than my effort. :)
Lets say supportive of it then! :sneaky:

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
There's your problem - he thinks nothing of the sort. His sort have been pimping the populist, nationalist BS lie of British (more accurately, English) Exceptionalism for so long, that they actually believe it.

That, and a genetically predisposed inability to take responsibility for the outcomes of their decisions (whatever it is, it's always someone else's fault) - and here we are.
Ah, it’s all the Government’s fault. Nothing to do with China then?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Meh. What you news fed types don’t read is the new variant does jack and shit.

Still. I say just nuke the UK. Wouldn’t take much. Think of all the free toasted ebikes. I hope y’all paint your houses white.
Yep, we know that it is no worse in its effects, just a lot more infectious. If you were in charge and did nuke the UK, I would imagine that Her Majesty's nuclear submarines would leave smoking holes where Washington, New York and San Francisco currently sit, as a minimum.
Hey, you may actually thank us!
All in the best possible taste of course! :unsure:
I am fully expecting the UK to be back to normal long before you guys have finished rounding up everyone for their compulsory vaccine shots. After all, Microsoft have to be able to keep tabs on you so you don't evade your shots again.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
TBH I cant understand why travel wasn't shut down sooner, given we in the mainland UK are an Island we are in a perfect positing to isolate by restricting non essential access.
The decision was made to leave travel open with some restrictions, to minimise the damage to the economy. If we had shut down completely, the country would have started to starve, the water treatment plants would have run out of essential chemicals, and much worse.... bike imports would have stopped!!!!!!

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
This is what you get with the EU, let anyone travel anywhere , plus all the poor migrants that travel through the EU into France who are then left to cross the channel.

Good job we have good testing in the UK

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
See .. it's just dumb !

Stick a few hundred people on a plane ... then at least have the sense to test people on the plane so you don't risk spreading infection when you arrive...

BUT - Oh look, someone has covid. OK, so now EVERYONE on the plane has to isolate for 14 days ...

I just don't get it .. gather everyone up, stick them in a large coke can for 12 hours to breath in each others farts - THEN test to see if there was an infected person who might have infected everyone else.

OR, a crazy idea I know, ... Just test everyone BEFORE they're allowed on the plane so you're not playing a fun game of Russian Roulette with everyone's lives.

Isn't this just common sense ? You wouldn't check the plane's fuel half way along to see if there's enough to get you to the destination, you do it BEFORE you leave ..

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent

That’s really interesting. Thanks for posting ??

It does confirm what Zim was saying imo, and now in hindsight the borders closing earlier would have been a sensible thing.

Something that most sensible people could see at the time ?

Oz has been far stricter with their boarders and from what I can gather their Situation is a lot better than ours.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Meh - y'all think the Govment in Ye Ole British Isles got it wrong ....... just need to look at the incompetents running things down here.
Cindy poo & her regieme are held up as an example for the world to follow .... LMAO.

We have closed borders - but we have hundreds of people entering the country daily.
These 'closed borders' leak more than @Zimmerframes seive.
They were also 'closed' in March - because the WHO advised that closing borders could have a negative impact to the image of the countries banned. Dammit, Wuhan had people falling over while walking in the streets around August 2019. I am not a scientist, but common sense would have been to ban travel from Wuhan until the issue was identified - just like they do when Cholera or Ebola is found in an area. As things started to get worse (Sept-Oct 2019, then all travel from China should have been blocked.
Without the virus being here we had a lockdown that crippled the country, caused serious mental health issues and has created a new level of debt that even with 50% taxation will never be reduced - (we are close already with high personal & company taxes and 15% Grab, Snatch & Take on everything .... even taxes).
We had Voluntary isolation that many ignored. Then we got compulsory isolation - which some ignored .... or were exempt (WTF?)
After months of people wandering out of isolation to go buy a beer they put the army in charge. With the soldiers doing the guarding leaving the facility and going back to the barracks at the end of the day ......... another WTF.
To make things even better, somewhere about day 10 to 12 of a 14 day quarantine they add another bunch of imports into the facility to have mingling with those about ready to leave ..... seriously, this is so stupid anyone should be able to see the issue there.

And we only have around 5 Million people - as opposed to the 60+ Million of GB.

paul-g

Dec 27, 2019
yorkshire
tn_ch-flag.gif

China
Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:
Recovered:
anybody able to give any reasoning to the above.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I think the issues around testing...e.g. before flights etc are that the virus has an incubation period of anywhere between 5 and 14 days plus the fact that tests capable of delivering a quick result, whilst improving all the time, are very much less accurate than tests sent to a laboratory for analysis. For example, in F1, the drivers and teams are tested regularly and yet 3 drivers have now missed races due to a positive test taken on the first day of practise whereas all tests taken in the days leading up to that were negative. It may be that the "event" test is rather more accurate than tests taken away from the track. Or, they only tested positive when the virus has sufficiently multiplied in their bodies to enable its detection.
The laboratory analysis takes a lot more time to deliver a result, depending on the laboratory capacity at any given moment. Those laboratories are also responsible for conducting a host of other medical tests meanwhile. There is also the issue of resources required to manage the testing process. Very easy I think to underestimate the logistical issues involved.
ps... your fellow passengers on an aircraft...all breathing the same air.....could have a whole range of infections other than Covid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles