Counterfeit Magura brake pads?

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
The subject line is a question, not an assertion! My first few packages of Magura 8.P pads arrived in a blister pack (not sure about UK term). The set I received recently came in a thin plastic bag. The pads themselves have similar markings.

I've sent emails to Magura.US and Magura.DE asking about counterfeit products, but no answer yet.

The one set I installed so far that came in the thin plastic bag didn't seem to work as well as what I'm used to, but that could easily be confirmation bias.

Have any of you heard about counterfeit Magura pads?

MaguraBrakePads.jpg

Last edited:

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Not long ago, I was in your shoes. The pads came in a plastic bag, but they had the correct markings and hole locations in the backing plate. I decided to roll the dice and install the pads. The new ones perform EXACTLY like the old ones. I currently have 350 miles on them.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Same thing here. Ordered some magura race pads 2 weeks ago. Came in a plastic bag with a magura sticker with qr code

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Worth hanging on for a response imo. I bought, of all things, a set of fake D'Addario guitar strings off Ebay last year. It was obvious the minute I put them on but you'd never have known from the packaging. I had no idea something so trivial would be ripped off but it turns out it's such an issue that D'Addario now print a code on each pack that you can verify on their site.

Point is, if they are moody, you have no idea what's gone into them. Asbestos? TNT? Small animals? Cream cheese?

Landy Andy

Feb 8, 2021
Herts
As mentioned above. I recently bought stuff that came in packaging designed for bulk supplying, not in the retail fancy packaging.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Loads of companies are following ESG measures now and for small businesses changing simple things like packaging to more sustainable sources rather than single use plastic is a step in the right direction

Not saying this is what Magura have done, but it’s a possibility

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles