• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Could you win a Tour de France time trial?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I looked up the distance of a random Tour de France time trial stage and the figure of 22 miles came up. As far as I know these stages are pretty flat.

Could a derestricted EMTB win such a stage?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
There's a segment near here which is straight but undulates.

I went out this winter when it was really storm with a 70kph tail wind to try and beat the tdf times on the kenevo...

Nowhere near !

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
There's a segment near here which is straight but undulates.

I went out this winter when it was really storm with a 70kph tail wind to try and beat the tdf times on the kenevo...

Nowhere near !

but in 2019 the TDF time trials were 28 mph approx average speed. That would easily be obtainable on a derestricted ebike

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I cant even beat the roadies up the local road climbs! A few years back I was doing so off-road laps of Box Hill, and was using the Zig Zag to get back up, I was using turbo and holding 16mph and still has some of the roadies going by me.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I cant even beat the roadies up the local road climbs! A few years back I was doing so off-road laps of Box Hill, and was using the Zig Zag to get back up, I was using turbo and holding 16mph and still has some of the roadies going by me.

Oh yes, I’m often destroyed by roadies going up the ZigZag in turbo. I try to go up in eco for a bit of a workout these days (but rather slowly).

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Dressed in a full body condom skin suit , pointy aero hat, lowered stem, tri bars and aero rims shod with 25s and a derestricted E8000

Yes.

I'd be banned of course. Which is kinda ironic

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
but in 2019 the TDF time trials were 28 mph approx average speed. That would easily be obtainable on a derestricted ebike
You say that, but in the real world it doesn't quite work that way. Your bike is restricted to 15mph, but your average speed for every ride isn't 15mph because even with assistance and pedalling hard they'll be times when you and the bike just don't have the power to overcome all the weight and drag of a chunky MTB. So de-restricting the bike so it can go faster won't necessarily result in you going that much faster.

If you use the emtb strava group as an example and look down the recent activity, the average speeds aren't all 15mph for the rides. If all the bikes on there were de-restricted, it wouldn't suddenly result in all the average speeds going up 10 kph, not unless there was also an increase in motor power at the same time.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Win? Maybe not. Place well? Possibly. Maybe not a eMTB but a Creo or Vado SL with their 28 mph limit. If we can do 160 watts for an hour and the bike adds 240 we are at pro level power. Bradley Wiggins set his hour record with 440 watts.

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Just as I am passed by the occasional push-bike on the trail. Fortunately I didn't buy my ebike to win races, but to enjoy riding more, and to enjoy more riding.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Found it ..

Ride segment (TDF riders mainly)

E-bike ... lots and lots and lots of wind assist ....

Those TDF times are not solo TT efforts, it's the entire peleton spinning along together, I'm guessing you've never ridden in a large road peleton? If not, trust me, it's not half as difficult to maintain 25mph on the flat when being dragged along by 30 other riders as it is when riding on your own. Nevermind 130 riders, some of the guys in that leaderboard are only outputting 180w for the segment. that's an easily achievable effort for any club roadie.

In the interest of fairness. Next time you go for it get a mate to drive a van/truck infront of you.
Asuming the Kenevo is fully derestricted and you have suitable gearing, you'll WIN strava that day.
Bear in mind your heavyAF mtb tyres at lower pressures are also giving away well over 30w each to a tour riders tyres. (even more if you run a soft compound)

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I looked up the distance of a random Tour de France time trial stage and the figure of 22 miles came up. As far as I know these stages are pretty flat.

Could a derestricted EMTB win such a stage?

On my drop bar 1000w hub motor bike I have averaged 30mph pedaling a 150" gear, courtesy of a Schlumpf High Speed Drive, on flat terrain with no wind influence using 30wh/mi. But I only did that a few times just to see if it could be done as it wasn't much fun and fun is why I ride bikes.

Having a high enough gear to pedal effectively at speed is key and even the 28mph bikes I see don't have what I feel they would need to maintain speed on level ground and certainly mtb's don't.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
On my drop bar 1000w hub motor bike I have averaged 30mph pedaling a 150" gear, courtesy of a Schlumpf High Speed Drive, on flat terrain with no wind influence using 30wh/mi. But I only did that a few times just to see if it could be done as it wasn't much fun and fun is why I ride bikes.
not trying to trump you here but 30mph is perfectly capable on the flat on a 90" gear with a 250w mid drive if derestricted.
but it's perfectly possible in a 90" gear with no motor... you just won't be able to hold it for as long

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Having a high enough gear to pedal effectively at speed is key and even the 28mph bikes I see don't have what I feel they would need to maintain speed on level ground and certainly mtb's don't.
even on 27.5s you only need to pedal at 110rpm to reach 30mph (36x11)

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
That's cool Gary, just not my experience as I don't like to pedal like a hamster and I'm physically past my prime.

My other drop bar bike with a regular Schlumpf (1.65/1 45t in high) with a similar 1000w motor starts to hamster at around 26mph. The high speed drive (2.25/1 60t) you can still feel pedal engagement with the drive at 30 plus. My eMTB is a 750w derestricted is a 42/11 and it starts to fade out at about the same speed.

There are plenty out there that don't need any motor to do what I did for sure. Here in the US 200mile gravel races are won at a 20mph average which quite frankly I don't always achieve on my 40-50 mile rides using 500w's of assist.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles