Could Shimano Suck Any More At Software?

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Sooooo...the brain trust at Shimano pushed out a new version of the iOS and Android apps (not the Windows app yet) to support the new drive systems and components. And this version requires a "Shimano ID". OK, I can live with that. But when trying to actually use the new app, you get a "white screen of despair" when trying to create a Shimano ID or log in with one. So effectively, THE SOFTWARE IS NOW USELESS. Every time I think there's hope that they'll figure it out, Shimano pushes "we suck at software" to a WHOLE NEW LEVEL. This is literally product launch 101 : you test before you release. F*cking idiots.

Thank god for Stunlocker. @vadII saves the day again. And Shimano, fire your whole f*cking software department. Ugh.

Screenshot 2020-09-01 at 8.13.07 AM.jpg

The Windows version isn't even available (c'mon Shimano, it's really not that hard if you have even remotely competent developers to release an app as simple as this on time). And here's what you get when you try to access the manual for eTube online:

eTubeManul.png

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The notes I have say that it is the 4.8.0 that is the buggy one. I kept well away from it after seeing bad reports on here.

The version on my mobile is 4.0.2
The version currently I have on the bike is:
E-TUBE App version 3.4.3 Display, SC-E8000 version 4.0.7, Motor DU-E8000 version 4.7.1, Assist SW-E8000-L version 3.1.2
All up to date as at 4th Apr'20.

So what does the 4.8.0 refer to? The app, display, motor, assist, or mobile?

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
Sooooo...the brain trust at Shimano pushed out a new version of the iOS and Android apps (not the Windows app yet) to support the new drive systems and components. And this version requires a "Shimano ID". OK, I can live with that. But when trying to actually use the new app, you get a "white screen of despair" when trying to create a Shimano ID or log in with one. So effectively, THE SOFTWARE IS NOW USELESS. Every time I think there's hope that they'll figure it out, Shimano pushes "we suck at software" to a WHOLE NEW LEVEL. This is literally product launch 101 : you test before you release. F*cking idiots.

Thank god for Stunlocker. @vadII saves the day again. And Shimano, fire your whole f*cking software department. Ugh.

View attachment 39412

The Windows version isn't even available (c'mon Shimano, it's really not that hard if you have even remotely competent developers to release an app as simple as this on time). And here's what you get when you try to access the manual for eTube online:

View attachment 39413
Q: Could Shimano Suck Any More At Software?
A: Yes, it could be as bad as Giant's app.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
The notes I have say that it is the 4.8.0 that is the buggy one. I kept well away from it after seeing bad reports on here.

The version on my mobile is 4.0.2
The version currently I have on the bike is:
E-TUBE App version 3.4.3 Display, SC-E8000 version 4.0.7, Motor DU-E8000 version 4.7.1, Assist SW-E8000-L version 3.1.2
All up to date as at 4th Apr'20.

So what does the 4.8.0 refer to? The app, display, motor, assist, or mobile?
I think 4.8 is the motor firmware - that is what mine has now. I only updated mine about 3 weeks ago - I wasn't aware of any issues with that piece of firmware. I've read about lots of issues with the actual e tube app. There is still one more motor update, 4.9, that I'm aware of. However, it looks as though that one is focused on recording the use of aftermarket software or derestricting, so I'd avoid that one. It looks like shimano is getting more serious about that - threatening to void warranty etc.

One nice thing about the 4.8 update; I no longer get an error when trail braking. Well, the problem is gone, so I assume it was the update.

Last edited:

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
You youngsters seem to get more pleasure from playing with apps and IT than actually riding your bikes.
The E8000 is so old now I can't see any improvements, performance or reliability wise, coming from a new update, just potential and actual problems, so I now leave E-Tube in the box.
If I need to fiddle, I just use stunlocker, it's safer and better for what I need.

Last edited:

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
FYI, I was referring to the mobile app itself - which upon its initial release just hung with an empty screen.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
FYI, I was referring to the mobile app itself - which upon its initial release just hung with an empty screen.
yes, the app has a terrible reputation if you look at the reviews on g00gle play. I've been lucky; but rarely use it :ROFLMAO:. I setup a custom power profile and removed a heap of junk from the bike's display. I also did an update for motor and power switch which resolved one problem for me - I consider myself lucky there too. Updating firmware on anything should be taken seriously - like hospital visits :rolleyes:; if you don't need to, don't.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
On Google Play the Bosch app scores 2.7 and the Giant app scores 1.4 - That makes the Bosch one nearly twice as good as the Giant one!
That also depends on how many reviews for each to a degree. As the number of reviews grow the overall score average generally drops. Pretty sad either way

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Ahh, just checked mine - I have 3.4.3 app! Well, I won't be updating that; but that's easy for me when I have no need to. I think Rick bought the new orbea rise, so he is over a barrel :(

Apr 18, 2020
germany
Some people clam that with the new 4.9 firmware walk assist became better but I doubt this. Anyone can confirm?

And does it really detect and log the use of Stunlocker?

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Ahh, just checked mine - I have 3.4.3 app! Well, I won't be updating that; but that's easy for me when I have no need to. I think Rick bought the new orbea rise, so he is over a barrel :(

I did install the 4.0.2 Windows app for my current eMTB (Pivot Shuttle with E8000) and had no issues. It left the wheel circumference that I set with Stunlocker unchanged (thankfully).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles