Converting a FullSus MTB to an E-MTB... can you do it with the big brand motors?

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
Hi guys,

Hope you are all enjoying your long Easter weekends! Long story short, I want to convert my full suspension MTB to an E-MTB so that when I buy a "proper" EMTB I will have a backup EMTB for friends and loved ones.

I have seen that there are various Chinese motors you can buy (like the Tongsheng etc) but is it possible to get conversion kits and batteries from the big names like Shimano Steps E7000 / E8000 etc?

My MTB is a very good spec and I got it for an extremely good price so want to check if upgrading with decent parts is actually feasible or even worth the hassle from a price/performance perspective.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this. :)

Last edited:

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
No. You need to be looking at Bafang kits.
Hmm, but Bafang are pretty much illegal on any public area aren't they? I see they have 750w and 1000w versions which are way above the 250w legal limits in mainland EU.

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
If you are good with at welder, you can likely get all of the shimano parts to fit.

You shouldn't be putting loved ones on a kit bike. If anything, you should ride the kit bike when learners ride your proper ebike.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
There are 250W Bafang kits.
If you are good with at welder, you can likely get all of the shimano parts to fit.
You'd need to be better than good...
Whilst it is theoretically possible to retro fit a Shimano motor, it's likely that the lower pivots will be in the way so you'd need to make new chainstays. It's just not worth the effort and expense.

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH

You shouldn't be putting loved ones on a kit bike. If anything, you should ride the kit bike when learners ride your proper ebike.
I think that may be a little dramatic, no? There seem to be reliable and popular kits out there that are very easy to learn. I rode my friends today which is a Tongsheng (only the second time I had a quick go on an EMTB) and it was a piece of cake.

idahoskiguy

May 16, 2018
Idaho USA
Put a Bafang BBSHD on a KHS 1000 Fat Bike and it turned out very well, use it for urban commuting and riding in the snow. The Bafang mid drive kits will work well for you but your biggest challenge with a full suspension bike is where to put the battery.

Have fun!

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
Put a Bafang BBSHD on a KHS 1000 Fat Bike and it turned out very well, use it for urban commuting and riding in the snow. The Bafang mid drive kits will work well for you but your biggest challenge with a full suspension bike is where to put the battery.

Have fun!
I actually have a Merida bike (and yes its a womans bike but the price was amazing and the geometry is good) where the rear suspension is at the back of the bike next to the wheel and not in the centre of the frame itself. Look at this link and check the photo, you will see the rear suspension on the left side of the bike by the back wheel facing away from the camera Mountain biking purchasing guide : Merida Juliet Mission 1000-D

I think in this case the battery wouldn't necessarily be an issue.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles