Convert e160 to Di2

BILLYP2000

Aug 28, 2018
Hull
I'm looking to upgrade my e160 800 to Di2 but I'm not really sure how it's physically set up on the 900e. Could anyone let me know what equipment I would need or as a start post some photos so I can see how it's wired. I'm assuming I'll need a rear mech, shifter and at least a couple of cables? Is the rear mech powered from the bike battery?

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
I'm looking to upgrade my e160 800 to Di2 but I'm not really sure how it's physically set up on the 900e. Could anyone let me know what equipment I would need or as a start post some photos so I can see how it's wired. I'm assuming I'll need a rear mech, shifter and at least a couple of cables? Is the rear mech powered from the bike battery?

It is powered by the main battery & you will need a shifter & mech along with the cables, but...
Why do you want it? I have said this before but as an owner of a 900E (albeit a 120) I don't see the point, to me it's just something else to go wrong when there has never been a problem with a normal mech. Maybe on a road bike it may be a tad better, but on a MTB where the chances of twatting the mech or snagging a cable are quite high then why bother? I just don't get it :unsure:

Cheers.

BILLYP2000

Aug 28, 2018
Hull
The problem with the 800 is that the cable run from lever to mech is awful. It uses 3 sections of outer due to a badly designed cable path. From factory everything runs smoothly but once you need to replace the outers it's an absolute dog to get smooth shifting. And having to remove pedal arm, crank, chain guide and motor just to find that the shifting is still garbage is just deflating.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
The problem with the 800 is that the cable run from lever to mech is awful. It uses 3 sections of outer due to a badly designed cable path. From factory everything runs smoothly but once you need to replace the outers it's an absolute dog to get smooth shifting. And having to remove pedal arm, crank, chain guide and motor just to find that the shifting is still garbage is just deflating.

I can see your frustration. My Di2 is nothing short of sensational and I love it. I'm guessing you'd have to pull a cover off the motor or behind the battery to get to the terminal where you can get the power supply for the Di2 but I'm only guessing. It shouldn't be too hard once you source all the components though but it wouldn't be cheap.

Also found this:
https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-M8050-07-ENG.pdf

Last edited:

BILLYP2000

Aug 28, 2018
Hull
It's driving me mad. I've tried to run a complete cable through but the path from motor to chain stay is so tight the gears start to cease after only a few rides. Thanks for the info although it doesn't cover connecting to an ebike but I can understand the concept now. Looks like a shifter with cable to main display then rear mech with cable to the motor. Just need an image that shows the motor connection now.

BILLYP2000

Aug 28, 2018
Hull
Exactly what I was after? Thanks Mark. £290 upgrade but worth it to never have to deal with shitty shifting again.

BILLYP2000

Aug 28, 2018
Hull
Im am also thinking about this conversion. Did you make it work?
I've been working away for the last 7 weeks and only just got back so I'll try and find time this week to get everything fitted. I'll let you know how it goes.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I've been working away for the last 7 weeks and only just got back so I'll try and find time this week to get everything fitted. I'll let you know how it goes.

Don't forget that as standard the e8000 controller is normally configured for none di2 gears, not Di2. So it won't work if you just plug the cable into the display and the other into the motor outlet.

You need to either take it to a shop so they can plug it in and change the setting to Di2, or install Stepsunlocker for android or IOS and set the system to Di2 under the "Gears" setting. I think, but I'm not 100% sure, you can change this with the base version (less than €2), otherwise you need a licence, which is €30 - so still not the end of the world. There are probably other apps which let you do this also, but I'm familiar with that one.

If the Bike is a Di2 configured bike, you can swap to conventional Mech without changing settings - it works out the Di2 isn't plugged in and auto switches to normal (so if you were going away and carried a spare cable,shifter,mech - you could swap if you broke something). Likewise, you can change the configuration before you do the physical change and it shouldn't affect anything.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Don't forget that as standard the e8000 controller is normally configured for none di2 gears, not Di2. So it won't work if you just plug the cable into the display and the other into the motor outlet.

You need to either take it to a shop so they can plug it in and change the setting to Di2, or install Stepsunlocker for android or IOS and set the system to Di2 under the "Gears" setting. I think, but I'm not 100% sure, you can change this with the base version (less than €2), otherwise you need a licence, which is €30 - so still not the end of the world. There are probably other apps which let you do this also, but I'm familiar with that one.

If the Bike is a Di2 configured bike, you can swap to conventional Mech without changing settings - it works out the Di2 isn't plugged in and auto switches to normal (so if you were going away and carried a spare cable,shifter,mech - you could swap if you broke something). Likewise, you can change the configuration before you do the physical change and it shouldn't affect anything.

The free version of eMax allows you to select mechanical or electronic gearing.

BILLYP2000

Aug 28, 2018
Hull

Just as you said, after fitting the new switch, shifter and mech I get a W032 error which indicates I need to set the bike up for D2i mech. Tried STEPS Unlocker but it just defaults back to mechanical. Got in touch with the developer and he didn't have a clue why it wouldn't work. Also tried eMAX and it connects to the bike but can't read any info so still no joy. A local bike shop has the correct software and cable so I'll try them when I'm back from my hols.

Bjorn

Aug 4, 2019
Tromsø
Just as you said, after fitting the new switch, shifter and mech I get a W032 error which indicates I need to set the bike up for D2i mech. Tried STEPS Unlocker but it just defaults back to mechanical. Got in touch with the developer and he didn't have a clue why it wouldn't work. Also tried eMAX and it connects to the bike but can't read any info so still no joy. A local bike shop has the correct software and cable so I'll try them when I'm back from my hols.

You could reach out to the developer of emax. Apparently he wrote the program in the first place to solve this problem, so he knows a thing or two on this topic.

See post #11 in the link for further informasjon

Upgrade to Di2 shifting - EMTB Forums

BILLYP2000

Aug 28, 2018
Hull
You could reach out to the developer of emax. Apparently he wrote the program in the first place to solve this problem, so he knows a thing or two on this topic.

See post #11 in the link for further informasjon

Upgrade to Di2 shifting - EMTB Forums
At least you knew in advance that there could be an issue :) Not sure why it's defaulting back. Did you change the setting and then save settings ? It remembered when I tried it on mine. Odd ! and frustrating !
As soon as I save it that's when it defaults back to mechanical. It's booked in for end of month now so fingers crossed they should be able to switch it.

LawmanMtb

Aug 15, 2018
Wigan
i am going to do the exact opposite to you Billy, im sick of Di2, when it works its great, but if the battery runs out during a ride or i get an error code i cant change gears!

BILLYP2000

Aug 28, 2018
Hull
i am going to do the exact opposite to you Billy, im sick of Di2, when it works its great, but if the battery runs out during a ride or i get an error code i cant change gears!
My understanding was that if the bat runs out then there is still enough power to change gears although I've not tested this yet. Just be aware of the reason I upgraded in the first place. It may have just been me but trying to get decent shifting was nigh on impossible. I'd be interested to see if you have any more luck than I did.

LawmanMtb

Aug 15, 2018
Wigan
it didn't on mine Billy, when the battery ran out so did the gears, i have just had a new motor and electrics so things might be different now, i'll let you know when i know ;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles