• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Consumer advice please.

Barryw

Oct 27, 2019
Uk
Hi, I couldn't find any concrete answer on the citizens advice page, so thought I'd drop this bomb here.......

If my E-Bike motor fails again I'll be on my 4th motor. Each one previous failing with exactly the same issue. Would I be entitled to refuse a replacement and get a refund or has that ship sailed (it's just over a year old) or would i just have except another motor.

As you can tell I have little hope for this motor lasting 6 months ?

As you can imagine my faith in the product has disappeared.

Cheers

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I don't know about the CAB. I believe you would have a case for 'Not fit for purpose', or at the least say you want a refund through your dealer. Have you tried that angle yet?

Which brand is it? Some are better than others in that respect.

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
It comes under the consumer protection regulations it depends on how long after you brought the bike the issue arose and the nature of the issue being a fault assumed to be present at purchase. You may have the right to a replacement or refund if the seller can’t fix first time if the goods are under 6 months old. The best way is to put your case to trading standards. If you are not satisfied with outcome. But outside of 6 months there may not be a right to a refund, just repair or replacement.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Hi, I couldn't find any concrete answer on the citizens advice page, so thought I'd drop this bomb here.......

If my E-Bike motor fails again I'll be on my 4th motor. Each one previous failing with exactly the same issue. Would I be entitled to refuse a replacement and get a refund or has that ship sailed (it's just over a year old) or would i just have except another motor.

As you can tell I have little hope for this motor lasting 6 months ?

As you can imagine my faith in the product has disappeared.

Cheers
Do you not have lemon laws where you live?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It's a Brose motor, but with that many failures it could equally be a Bosch or a Shimano. None of the motors stand up well to eMTB use in my opinion.

Says the man hoping his third motor fails before the warranty runs out...

Barryw

Oct 27, 2019
Uk
A hundred bucks says Spesh Levo or Kenevo!
you got it. kenevo :rolleyes:

Ok, I think my plan of attack is if I get another failure with the same fault then the "not fit for purpose" route is looking like the most logical.

I bumped into a guy at my new local spot riding a kenevo and he was warned by the shop not to jump with it as it will damage the motor... clearly that is good advise, as this particular guy has had zero motor issues as he just rode what I call XC style trails. That's just madness, its a 180mm travel bike. Those stupid plus size rims were bad enough for basically exploding into a million pieces within a few rides.

looks like at least the wheel issue has been addressed on the new model.. anyway that rant is off topic..

Thanks for the advice..

Anyone want to buy a kenevo? one carefull owner, never been raced or rallied. still under warranty;)

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Here is my take on it. 1 motor a year is a real issue. 2 motors a year and I am talking with whatever local agency looks after Consumer Protection. 3 motors I am looking for a refund .... 4 motors I want compensation for lost riding time AND mental duress.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I'll be surprised if there isn't a group action against Spez at some point in the future when people around the world realise that they're going to have to pay for their new motors. The level of failures surely points to a product not fit for purpose.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles