Connecting Garmin Edge Explore to Shimano Steps using DI2 emulation

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Can someone explain to me how to configure GPS Garmin Edge Explore to connect to the Shimano Steps E8000 so that the battery percentage is shown in the GPS, using the DI2 emulation, this is supposed to be work without additional hardware. I am trying, but without success:
  • I turn on the GPS and in Steps Display I turn on the Steps BT LE ANT , then the GPS looks for sensors and it can't find any.
  • In the Edge Explore GPS sensor menu there is no DI2 Sensor option (as I have seen in some internet videos of other EDGE series GPS), so I tested with ALL SENSORS and EBIKE. The BT of my bike works well because it connects to the Etube

I am aware that the Steps E8000 does not have the appropriate profile in BT and ANT + to communicate correctly with the EDGE to send all the information (Cadence, Km, speed, etc.) and to get it you have to replace the display with a box Shimano EW-EN100:
EW-EN100
But since it only has two connections and for my DI2 I need three, I would also have to put another SM-JC41 box:
SM-JC41

BUT I ONLY WANT THE BATTERY PERCENTAGE EMULATING TO DI2, so I don't need the above. Also, looks like the Garmin Edge Explore is behaving differently than others members of the Edge family, so I would like answers from Explore users, experience from other Edge models may not be valid.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles