"computer tuning" voids warranty...so what does tuning mean?

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I didn't think Focus in America was going warranty my bad rear hub bearings (2018 jam2 plus carbon) but it was worth a try. All I really wanted was the small part that makes up the outer race of the bearing since that had some major dents and scoring. I could not even get that out of Focus (yes I know they are no longer selling here). I was told they would not honor my warranty because of "computer tuning". By tuning they must mean updating the firmware and setting the levels with Shimano's software because that's all I did. Now if my battery goes bad, etc. I guess I don't have any kind of warranty. My dealer, over 100 miles away, decided not to answer my question (asked him 3 times and he went silent) about what does Focus mean by "computer updating". I'm a little superstitious that maybe this bike was not new and might have had some 3rd party software used on it before I bought it but the dealer did say it was new/lightly demo'd. At this point I don't know what to think but I did get a better freewheel assembly with cartridge bearings from aliexpress so I really don't need their warranty for that or almost anything else that might go wrong. Battery and charger seem to be holding up at 1400 miles. Just an FYI for US Focus owners. Will update if I hear from the dealer.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I finally got my dealer confirmed that Focus "may" in fact void a warranty if the the Shimano app is used to update the bike. I think he must have thought that I used something else to de-restrict my bike like so many are doing. I only used the Shimano app. The 20 mph limit is fine for me. I don't think they would have a leg to stand on and I hope I never need to "test" this. I'm happy with the upgraded freewheel assy I found online and paid for myself.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles