Comparing my 2020 SWorks Levo to 2021 Santa Cruz Heckler MX X01 Reserve

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
Stoked about picking up my new Santa Cruz Heckler MX last week. This will be my 6th e-bike that I have owned and wanted to give a quick review. My previous e-bikes were a 2018 SWorks Levo, 2019 Comp Carbon Levo, another 2018 SWorks Levo, 2020 SWorks Levo, 2020 YT Decoy Pro Race and 2021 Santa Cruz Heckler MX XO1 Reserve.

Motor:
The Brose motor in the Levo is punchier than the EP8 in the Santa Cruz. Both motors produce just about the same noise going uphill. The Brose is silent going downhill and the EP8 does have that rattle while coasting. It does bother me but hoping I get used to it. I've noticed when the Brose motor get's hot it will kill the power a great deal. I do not notice this with the EP8. So the Brose is punchier for the first part of the ride and once it heats up the EP8 is punchier the 2nd half of the ride. If the EP8 proves to be more reliable then I will give it the win over the Brose.

Geometry:
Took me 5 rides before I felt comfortable on the Heckler. I'm having to run much lower pressure in my suspension compared to the Levo. Also had to lower the handlebars on the Heckler to keep the front end from feeling light. Both bikes climb and descend about the same. I'm liking the longer reach on the Heckler a little more than the Levo. The Heckler does handle the super tight turns a little better than the Levo. The Levo handles chunky straight aways better than the Heckler.I feel this is a tie.

Fit and Finish:
Both bikes have great fit and finished. Especially compared to my YT Decoy. The rubber covers for the cable routing on the Decoy killed me. Could never get them to stay in place.

Suspension:
The Fox 36 and Fox DPX2 on the Levo is hands down more plush that the Pike and Fox DPS on the Heckler. This was expected though.

Stoked to be able to have both bikes. I will sell my SWorks Levo once my Santa Cruz Bullit arrives. I think having a Heckler 140mm and Bullit 170mm will give me the best of both worlds.

20210502_110423.jpg

20210502_110537.jpg

20210502_110434.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles