Commencal Meta Power Race Fox!

sauravgartaula

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
aHR0cHM6Ly9mc3RhdGljMS5lbXRiLW5ld3MuZGUvdjMvMC8xMC8xMDAzOS1hMTFueDE2bXExaXItX2RzYzQ1ODktb3JpZ2...jpg

This bike looks sick!
All info:
A thoroughbred E-Enduro – eMTB-News.de

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
It's too bad the Float X2 doesn't come in metric sizing.

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
Having taken delivery of one a few days ago (my wife's bike), I can assure you that it does indeed look superb. The quality of the frame and finish is top notch.
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these do you have any Ride reviews yet or things that I should know before I buy. Thank you

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
I like my RS race. Make sure the sizing suits you. I pre-ordered an XL, changed it to a L after reviewing the seat tube lengths, then changed it back to an XL. I figured I could cut the seat tube 10mm if needed, but I used a thin seat and it's perfect.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these do you have any Ride reviews yet or things that I should know before I buy. Thank you
Chris also has the model down with rockshock so he can give you a comparison between the two . I am quite heavy and I love the coil shock , never had a rear shock as good .
The bike itself is awesome , it’s the 160 travel enduro bike I wanted without any of the usual geometry weirdness that so many Ebikes seem to have , it rides like a normal up to date enduro bike . Can’t fault the spec , and for the spec I can’t find anything even close in value . The only heads up is the brakes are supplied reversed US spec so you need to swap the levers right to left but it’s not a big hassle , just good to know before you hoon off for your first ride

ChrisP

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
East Yorkshire
Thanks for the info. Can't wait for it to arrive.

I can't really give a review of the Fox as I've only ridden it on the road for test rides after making tweaks. It is wifey's bike but she loves it! The suspension/geometry set-up is so much better than the trek powerfly it has replaced. She reports that she can now barely feel the sharp bumps that would previously have sent shudders through the Trek. If she's happy, I'm happy!
Good luck with the waiting list for delivery!!!

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
Got lucky, I got the last one available in Small, before the pre-ordering starts again. Ships out today. Thanks for this thread to keep informed with other owners.

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
INFO FOR OTHER POWER META OWNERS Just FYI, found out from another owner that 2.8 and 3.0 tires will fit. He put 3.0 WTB Trail boss tires on 35mm inner diameter rims on his with no problem. They are a true 3.0 wide.

Last edited:

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
INFO FOR OTHER POWER META OWNERS Just FYI, found out from another owner that 2.8 and 3.0 tires will fit. He put 3.0 WTB Trail boss tires on 35mm inner diameter rims on his with no problem. They are a true 3.0 wide.
That's really interesting. I gave up on the Meta Power after Commencal told me a 3.0" (75mm) tyre most likely wouldn't fit. Did the other owner ride the bike hard with a 3,0" tyre? With low air pressure? How much clearance? This put's the Meta Power back on the list, but I would appreciate more detail.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
That's really interesting. I gave up on the Meta Power after Commencal told me a 3.0" (75mm) tyre most likely wouldn't fit. Did the other owner ride the bike hard with a 3,0" tyre? With low air pressure? How much clearance? This put's the Meta Power back on the list, but I would appreciate more detail.
I offered my meta up to a friends bike with 2.8 on and they will fit ok depends on the tyre I think some are fatter than others but really not sure a 3” Would fit the rear Surely that’s fat bike territory with wider rims that 35mm , good for snow or sand I guess

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
I need the 3" for snow, it works way better than 2.8". If the Meta Power has got the same clearance as any other Plus bike with 2.8" then the 3" will fit. But I don't know if that's the case since it comes with 2.6" tyres.

Edit: Hmm, I may be highjacking this thread, sorry about that, let me know if I need to make my own thread.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I need the 3" for snow, it works way better than 2.8". If the Meta Power has got the same clearance as any other Plus bike with 2.8" then the 3" will fit. But I don't know if that's the case since it comes with 2.6" tyres.

Edit: Hmm, I may be highjacking this thread, sorry about that, let me know if I need to make my own thread.
Don’t think your highjacking , it’s a general thread really about this bike
I think I would contact commencal and ask what they think , they surely must have a snow experience in Andorra . thier hardtail has 2.8 tyres , come to think of it not that many 160 travel bikes seem to have really fat tyres

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
I did ask Commencal, and they didn't recommend using a 3.0". It may or may not work they said. But I assume they want to be on the safe side, so it was interesting to read someone claims a true 3" actually will fit. I've ridden Merida eOne-Twenty and 2018 eGenius with 3" tyres, worked great. I'm pretty sure the eOne-Sixty has the same frame clearance as the e120.

2018eGenius700TunedPlus_01.jpg

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I did ask Commencal, and they didn't recommend using a 3.0". It may or may not work they said. But I assume they want to be on the safe side, so it was interesting to read someone claims a true 3" actually will fit. I've ridden Merida eOne-Twenty and 2018 eGenius with 3" tyres, worked great. I'm pretty sure the eOne-Sixty has the same frame clearance as the e120.

2018eGenius700TunedPlus_01.jpg
I think clearance in snow is surely the biggest problem , maybe it’s just British wet snow but I found snow turning to solid ice around the lower stays recently and bigger tyres would have been a problem for sure . Snow is a rare event here so I didn’t get a chance to compare with other bikes but the commencal certainly seemed to block up as you can see below . Conditions had just changed from wet to evening freeze in this and it didn’t seem become a problem or stop slow me down , but that ice you can see was solid
27DDAFD0-EAE4-4E5D-BFF2-48BCDA9B736C.jpeg

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
Commencal told me the same, when asked about size, almost took it off my list. Then saw my friends with 3.0 Trail Boss's on it. And the Maxxis 2.8's will definitely fit as they run on the small side. I have the Rekons and Dhf's 2.8 and they both run 2.66-2.67 width at the knobs on 35mm inner rims. Here is a pic of the 3.0 Trail Boss on Ibis 741 35mm inner rims . He's a big boy at 280lb, don't know what pressure he's using. But he's been using for a few months with no problems. But here in Tx we have no snow or mud to clog up in frame. So might make a difference.
1523466985364.png

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Ice and clogging can be an issue under certain conditions, and with certain tyres. This winter has been quite cold so the snow has been mostly dry. If I let the bike cool down to outside temperature before hitting the trails then the dry snow won't stick to the bike at all, it won't melt and freeze again on the bike. Clearance on the Merida eOne-Twenty was so thight the hairs/strands on the new Suomi Fat Freddie was scratching the fender on the rear. Still, no clogging. Also, I remember from fatbiking that various Vee Tires models were picking up snow and clogging the threads, so I guess rubber compound plays a role. The Fat Freddies have been good to me. The 45Nrth Wrathchild 3.0" too, but they're more like 2.6-2.7". I used Maxxis Rekon+ today, and the wet/warm-ish snow was all over the tread, compound I guess.

Hmm, that photo of Commencal+WTBs has me putting the Meta Power back on the list, for the 3rd time... Seems people report the Trail Boss to be about 75mm wide on a fairly wide rim.

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
I had the trail boss on Canfield Riot in 27+ and they measured 2.95in on 35mm inner width rims. I have some 3.0 Surly Dirt Wizards waiting to try on the meta.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
That pic above makes me weep :cry:

Just to redress the balance

We're all different tho, eh? :giggle:

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
First ride dialed in. The 3.0 Dirt Wizards really woke it up and I did the firmware update that made the trail mode like the Bosch EMTB mode which I have on my Haibike and really like it. I was able to leave in trail mode the whole ride. The bike is amazing.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles