Commencal Meta Power Race Fox!

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
So
Iam completely confused here , sorry if Iam being a numpty , was your problem just with the rear freehub , or freewheel ,
Iam trying to work out if you also have a problem with the front assembly freewheel system that’s part of the motor ?

Lol! sorry for the confusion. I also was confused.
That little washer was the culprit, made it seem like all those things were wrong, domino effect. It caused drag on the rear freehub which pulled the front freehub that is part of the motor and didn't let it engage. In reality nothing was wrong with any of those parts. I was ready to buy a new rear hub and send in the motor. Glad I went to a good mechanic who noticed that the rear wasn't moving as smooth as it should and took it apart to find that it was just the washer causing all the problems. Went on a 15 miler today and bike rode excellent. Still loving this bike.

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
Just hit my first 1000miles on the Commencal. Still loving it. The thin bashguard cracked as expected. No word of the new stronger bashguard. Commencal USA was quick to answer and sent me a replacement, same as original. Going to see if I can have a metal one made to fit the original screw holes. They told me not to bash it against rocks. "Uh, it's a bashguard" and I would have to pay for the next one. I don't think they know that a 2nd version is coming down the line. Might just be for out of the US.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Glad you got it sorted
I have been intending to make a better bashguard out of a thicker nylon or plastic material , that will absorb the shock with out denting like metal .
I thought perhaps a piece of a tyre would do it turned inside out so the knobs make a kind of shock absorber .
Iam not having clearance problems though and rarely bottom out and tend to avoid riding over objects that look like they would bottom out , good that commencal are sending a new one

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
Glad you got it sorted
I have been intending to make a better bashguard out of a thicker nylon or plastic material , that will absorb the shock with out denting like metal .
I thought perhaps a piece of a tyre would do it turned inside out so the knobs make a kind of shock absorber .
Iam not having clearance problems though and rarely bottom out and tend to avoid riding over objects that look like they would bottom out , good that commencal are sending a new one
I'm liking the tire idea.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I'm liking the tire idea.
I had a quick look at it yesterday while servicing the bike . Getting that shape at the rear is the harder part and finding the right size tyre . It will need drain holes to stop mud build up . Turning the tyre inside out seems to form a good shape and the knobs against this motor should be good shock protectors .
I’ve only got a couple of small scrapes on the underside , the bash strip has done a good job really , I think it’s slides over the motor a bit when you hit it as it’s got some movement

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
I had a quick look at it yesterday while servicing the bike . Getting that shape at the rear is the harder part and finding the right size tyre . It will need drain holes to stop mud build up . Turning the tyre inside out seems to form a good shape and the knobs against this motor should be good shock protectors .
I’ve only got a couple of small scrapes on the underside , the bash strip has done a good job really , I think it’s slides over the motor a bit when you hit it as it’s got some movement

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
you got me thinking, it has to be able to slide over an obstacle. not grippy as to grab onto a rock and stop the momentum and go otb. Too much thinking for today, I going for a spin.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
you got me thinking, it has to be able to slide over an obstacle. not grippy as to grab onto a rock and stop the momentum and go otb. Too much thinking for today, I going for a spin.

Yes thinking on same lines and wondering could it cause a problem , not had a slide over situation yet really , it’s all been more a sudden bottom out when trying to get over short raised objects , the inside of a tyre is not as grippy but still more grippy than plastic . Slipery nylon is what’s needed really like those coloured chopping boards you see in catering places now wondering if I could heat and bend that into shape with a heat gun ,

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
Engine guard after 3 months. Replaced with another flimsy one that was sent. Everything about the bike is A+ except for this. How are you'alls bashguards holding up.
bash guard.jpg

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Not whacked it anything like I thought I would ,there a few small scrapes in the motor casing .
Iam often amazed that it’s not bottomed out at times ,as I expect to hear a crunch . It’s fair to say I bottom out about as often as I used to hit the chainring on my normal bike , and last time I hit the chainring not the motor .
I guess it depends where you ride , there’s one bit in the woods that’s like riding over a stony hedge , we usually just stop and push over as it catches all bikes

Last edited:

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
Yes, here in Texas, we don't have big mountains, but we do have lots of rocks, all sizes. Like a rock filled desert. One day I will see a real mountain.

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
Bent some teeth on my EX1 8sp cassette. WTF!!! replacement cassette is over $300. Gonna try an experiment and see if a regular 8sp cassette will work. E-bike specific is just to get more money out of you. Our groups have had good luck with Sunrace wide range cassettes. So I found this Sunrace 11-40 cassette for $31. If it works I'll have found a good backup cassette for those with the EX1. Still gonna take mine in to see if they can bend them back to usable condition or maybe warrenty if I'm lucky. https://www.amazon.com/JGbike-Sunra...4271&sr=1-3&keywords=sunrace+8+speed+cassette

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Bent some teeth on my EX1 8sp cassette. WTF!!! replacement cassette is over $300. Gonna try an experiment and see if a regular 8sp cassette will work. E-bike specific is just to get more money out of you. Our groups have had good luck with Sunrace wide range cassettes. So I found this Sunrace 11-40 cassette for $31. If it works I'll have found a good backup cassette for those with the EX1. Still gonna take mine in to see if they can bend them back to usable condition or maybe warrenty if I'm lucky. https://www.amazon.com/JGbike-Sunra...4271&sr=1-3&keywords=sunrace+8+speed+cassette

How did you bend teeth out of interest ? ,
I’ve been looking for alternatives but can’t find the range in any other cassette with a 48 1st gear .
I’ve been looking at alternatives for when the SRAM wears out , mine is working well but the replacement cost of all the high end SRAM is just crazy and the durailure is much bigger than shimano so more prone to damage . Hoping the new Xt may have the range , 10 speed would I think be ideal but it seems to you have to go to 11 or 12 for the range . So currently still no perfect answer for an ebike.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Shimano 12 speed is trickling down the group sets next year.

Couldn't you just get the new NX 12 Speed cassette, derailieur, and shifter? Its e-bike certified and under 300 quid

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Shimano 12 speed is trickling down the group sets next year.

Couldn't you just get the new NX 12 Speed cassette, derailieur, and shifter? Its e-bike certified and under 300 quid

Yes that’s probably what I will do , I haven’t really researched the new Xt stuff yet. Hopefully the ex1 will last well , chains I are cheap enough and if I don’t damage the durailure I hope to get a good life out of the whole lot then as you say buy new cassette durailure and shifter in Xt as it’s probably less than just the SRAM cassette alone .

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
How did you bend teeth out of interest ? ,
I’ve been looking for alternatives but can’t find the range in any other cassette with a 48 1st gear .
I’ve been looking at alternatives for when the SRAM wears out , mine is working well but the replacement cost of all the high end SRAM is just crazy and the durailure is much bigger than shimano so more prone to damage . Hoping the new Xt may have the range , 10 speed would I think be ideal but it seems to you have to go to 11 or 12 for the range . So currently still no perfect answer for an ebike.
I've let too many people have a go at riding the E. Not experienced to the power shifting properly when climbing. They have bent the teeth. I've been trying to convert the people here one at a time. Not as accepting here in the US. The only thing that really works is to just let them have a ride. That's all it takes. The Sunrace cassette that I am trying is only 11-40. Which is good for me here, since I rarely use the 48 here. We just have big hills no mountains. If doesn't work, I will switch to an 11sp drivetrain, which is cheaper than the price of the ex1 cassette and easily replacable. Cassette comes in later in the week. Will post the results of my experiment.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I've let too many people have a go at riding the E. Not experienced to the power shifting properly when climbing. They have bent the teeth. I've been trying to convert the people here one at a time. Not as accepting here in the US. The only thing that really works is to just let them have a ride. That's all it takes. The Sunrace cassette that I am trying is only 11-40. Which is good for me here, since I rarely use the 48 here. We just have big hills no mountains. If doesn't work, I will switch to an 11sp drivetrain, which is cheaper than the price of the ex1 cassette and easily replacable. Cassette comes in later in the week. Will post the results of my experiment.
Interested how it works out
I know what you mean everyone wants a go on an Ebike and it’s often boost and see how hard they can go
I’ll be looking for alternative gears when mine wears out but I want to keep the 48 because we have lots of steep climbs where I do often use that gear

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
The regular 8sp cassette worked, sort of. Went right on, the shifter registers 7more clicks, but the second click doesn't move the derailleur, so it stops before the big 40t cog. But it runs smooth and got me back on the trails. Will try some more adjusting. I did adjust the high low screws. I'm thinking the EX shifter might have a different throw, than an older 8sp shifter. I am thinking that the best option would be to just switch out to more affordable 10-11 speed. Kernow, I did find this Sunrace 11-50 11speed cassette. Gives you almost the range of an Eagle. Great if you already have most of the 11speed components. Check it out Sunrace CSMX80 11 Speed Cassette | Jenson USA

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Nice one , that cassette is a good idea , and not a silly price iether .
I think the ex1 8 speeed is actually based on an 11 speed throw , so would be interesting to try an 11 speed or 10 speed cassette and just what happens , I’ve got a wheel here that will fit with Xt 11 speed so I’ll pop it in and try it .

Also thinking about gearing , I’ve gone up 2 teeth on the front ,so going back to original and using shimano 11-46 would probably be ok .

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
I'm taking off the EX1 8speed and just converting to 11 speed. I got the Sunrace MS series 11-46 cassette as suggested and I already have an 11 speed shifter and derailleur. So swap out is only costing me $52 the price of the Cassette. 11 speed parts will be easy to find if I have problems for out of town rides. Doubt if anyone has any EX1 parts in stock. Also noticed that Commencal didn't use it on any of the 2019 models.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Found this solution for the Commencal's flimsy engine guard. The pic is on a Levo, but in the link they have for over 20 brands, link is the Meta Power one. Not sure where they ship to, but the pic will give you an ideal if making your own. AMYGOS - carter META POWER View attachment 4813

That looks good , but not cheap . However by the time I mess about trying to make my own I had just as well go to work for a few hours and buy that , I doubt I could make anything that good

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
Hit 1300 miles today since mid April, the swap from 8 speed to 11 speed was a success. I'm liking the 11-46 Sunrace cassette. and can't beat the price if it ever needs replacing ($52). Next thing that I'm waiting for is the E7000 switch to become available, nice and small. I'm be able to put my dropper lever back where I like it.
1536283313090.png

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Hit 1300 miles today since mid April, the swap from 8 speed to 11 speed was a success. I'm liking the 11-46 Sunrace cassette. and can't beat the price if it ever needs replacing ($52). Next thing that I'm waiting for is the E7000 switch to become available, nice and small. I'm be able to put my dropper lever back where I like it.

We’re on about the same miles , there’s no real wear in my ex1 yet but Iam keen to try 11 speed
That switch looks easier to use than the e600 switch , but no button for the computer . Still no perfect solution for me .

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
Is the button for the computer to get to the menu on the display? That would be more convenient, than having to hold down the button on the bottom of the display for a few seconds to get to the menu.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles