commencal 2021

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
First longer ride today. A beast on the downhills. Just point and shoot. Super stable and planted.May take a while to get the ultimate shock and fork settings with the 350,000,000 possible combinations with Fox.

A definite improvement over the 2019 Race 29 meta power

Rode right next to a Levo today and I'd say the Levo is quieter still, but the EP8 pretty darn silent. Rattle did not bother me one bit.

ShaneBean

Sep 2, 2020
West Virginia
First ride today, bike is amazing. This is my first ebike and the distance covered and number of climbs I did was simply astonishing!
View attachment 45199

The left hand crank arm bolt seems to have fallen off which is annoying, clearly not done up tight by the factory.

View attachment 45200

Please can someone with the same bike take a picture of their left hand crank arm so I can see what the bolt should look like, cheers!
Same thing happened to me, except my crank arm fell off while I was in the air off a jump. My ankle is f ck d.

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
First ride today and was pleasantly surprised by everything. He is a little ride review, and the motor efficiency was amazing riding at normal bike speeds. My decoy with 540wh and e8000 would not have been able to do this full ride unless I REALLY conserved, and I still had 40% left on the Meta!

View attachment 45257
6300 ft in ECO means you were doing some work man! Agree things feel spot on to me as well.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
6300 ft in ECO means you were doing some work man! Agree things feel spot on to me as well.
Yes, plus I weigh just under 160lbs so being fairly light helps. Legs were feeling it. If I had more time I was going to up the power to Trail mode. All stock settings, haven’t played around with the app at all yet.

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
magnet ziptied to crank arm didn't last long, if you try the same I suggest bringing the original sensor fixing bolt with you on your ride + zipties + ziptie cutter so you can revert back to stock & have motor drive.

here's version 2: rare earth magnet with countersunk hole + M3 bugle head machine screw, threads tapped into crank arm with an M3 tap.

magnet:

View attachment 45275

View attachment 45276

View attachment 45277

View attachment 45278
Awesome work. Too bad we cant just hack the software to raise the limit.

Vertas

Mar 22, 2020
Denmark
Man seeing you boys getting your bikes is awesome!
Can't wait to receive my Power SX Signature hopefully in February ?

ShaneBean

Sep 2, 2020
West Virginia
About my crank arm just falling off mid jump. Get some loctite on your crank arm locking cap. Talked to commencal today and apparently they don't have any extra crank arms or caps, or any small parts really.

robat

Nov 12, 2020
Germany
About my crank arm just falling off mid jump. Get some loctite on your crank arm locking cap. Talked to commencal today and apparently they don't have any extra crank arms or caps, or any small parts really.
Afaik (from the E8000) the cap is just to lightly pressurise the crankarm (just like a stemcap) before you secure the arm with the 2 hex screws (where it's super important to tighten them evenly).

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
So to be clear, the caps have little if anything to do with actually holding the cranks on correct? It the hex bolts job to do that.

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
For those with Signature edition (the first ones that is), this is the latest paint color code from Commencal:

Pearl White/Electroplate Lagoon YS-775/YS-2280-1

However this is likely and internal paint code as I asked a color matching company about it and there is no universal cross reference apparently. If anyone has any leads let me know!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
So to be clear, the caps have little if anything to do with actually holding the cranks on correct? It the hex bolts job to do that.
Yes and know, simply put the alloy caps done up tight will probably stop you having an o shit moment, but they are not how the cranks are secured.

ShaneBean

Sep 2, 2020
West Virginia
Nahh the hex bolts tighten the crank onto the spline, this prevents the crank arm from wearing out the splines on the crank arm and shafts. The caps keep the arm from sliding off. Note everyone who mentions the crank falling off mentions the cap went first. That thread turns into a pissing contest on page two lmao.

robat

Nov 12, 2020
Germany
The crankarm will fall off if the 2 hex bolts are not tighten up evenly. The plug on the spindle will not hold the crank, since it's just a piece of plastic. There are also some alloy caps you can buy, maybe they will hold the arm a little longer...
But just tight the bolts properly and you won't have any trouble.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
First thing I would do on any new bike, no matter where you got it from but especially with consumer direct, is that all the bolts are done up properly. Amazing the amount of "new" bikes where they aren't.

Last edited:

robat

Nov 12, 2020
Germany
First hing I would do on any new bike, no matter where you got it form but especially with consumer direct, is that all the bolts are done up properly. Amazing the amount fo "new" bikes where they aren't.
Amen ?
Every bike I owned so far had some of the following issues then it was new:
- wrong torque values on bolts
- poor derailleur setup
- self loosening rear axles
- self loosening derailleurs
- cable routing done by a blind person (would be the only excuse)
- almost no (or far to extensive) lubrication inside the suspension

So I would definitely recommend to check the bike completely, before you ride it in some serious terrain.

ShaneBean

Sep 2, 2020
West Virginia
The crankarm will fall off if the 2 hex bolts are not tighten up evenly. The plug on the spindle will not hold the crank, since it's just a piece of plastic. There are also some alloy caps you can buy, maybe they will hold the arm a little longer...
But just tight the bolts properly and you won't have any trouble.
My bike comes with alu caps, even with retightening the hex bolts It's been an issue with shimano ebikes. Still coming off, overall concensus from what I've read is get an alu cap if you have plastic caps. Loctite the two hex bolts and the threaded alu cap.
Amen ?
Every bike I owned so far had some of the following issues then it was new:
- wrong torque values on bolts
- poor derailleur setup
- self loosening rear axles
- self loosening derailleurs
- cable routing done by a blind person (would be the only excuse)
- almost no (or far to extensive) lubrication inside the suspension

So I would definitely recommend to check the bike completely, before you ride it in some serious terrain.
Yup, according to the manuals we should ensure everybody on our entire bike is torqued to spec.

shenchman

Aug 22, 2020
California
magnet ziptied to crank arm didn't last long, if you try the same I suggest bringing the original sensor fixing bolt with you on your ride + zipties + ziptie cutter so you can revert back to stock & have motor drive.

here's version 2: rare earth magnet with countersunk hole + M3 bugle head machine screw, threads tapped into crank arm with an M3 tap.

magnet:

View attachment 45275

View attachment 45276

View attachment 45277

View attachment 45278
update: DO NOT DO THIS! as predicted the software senses something is wrong & shuts it down, happened to me after about 1 hour today, error code E050. I swapped it back to normal & rebooting didn't clear the error, luckily after about 10 minutes of very painful climbing it self-cleared & all was good again.

GCSquared

Nov 17, 2020
NorCal
I had my first ride today. 24 miles and 4900 ft. I used a mix of eco and trail, but I depleted the battery and had to climb out the last 1.5 miles, but that part wasn't too steep. It smashes through stuff better than my Ripmo, but of course it isn't as nimble. It's my first ebike and I loved it, but my non-drive crank arm fell off towards the end of the ride. I read this forum before my ride, so I tightened the crank arm bolts and the end caps before the ride, but it still fell off. Will someone please tell me how many spacers go on the non-drive side. I'll need to get a new end cap as well.

Thanks

robat

Nov 12, 2020
Germany
When you lock the crankarm hex bolts, make shure that you don't just turn one until it reaches the right torque and then the other. Turn one until you feel some resistance, than the other.
Than apply recommended torque to the first, than second.
Repeat last step at least 2-3 times, since when you tighten one, it will slightly loosen the other.
I don't had to use additional loctite on my E8000, but it's not a bad idea.

And for all the guys new to Shimano motors. I recommend avoiding boost (and at best trail) mode, if your battery is at 2/5. The peak power in boost mode can drain the battery straight from 2/5 to zero. Happened to me a few times and to a lot of people I know. Again only E8000 knowledge.

robat

Nov 12, 2020
Germany
Yup, according to the manuals we should ensure everybody on our entire bike is torqued to spec.

But this situation still su**s.
You buy a bike with the price tag of a small car and can't be shure, that it doesn't fall apart on your first ride.
Imagine buying a new car, where your door falls off after the 10th time you open it.
No one would tolerate that ...

Darkyhs

Oct 25, 2020
Lisbon, Portugal
You buy a bike with the price tag of a small car and can't be sure, that it doesn't fall apart on your first ride.
Imagine buying a new car, where your door falls off after the 10th time you open it.

When you get a car you pick it up from the dealer. If you would buy a car direct sales with discounts of a direct sales brand. I would imagine that you would double-check the doors and wheels if they are all tightened correctly :). There is a reason I guess that we do not buy cars online :)

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-23 at 16.25.04.jpeg

(The first pic of the bike build-up with the different discs in 220, Magura. I will post some pics when the bike is complete)

However, personally, my brand new Teams edition is now at my LBS to do some changes and check all parts. I only changed the discs and made the wheels tubeless. They will change the brakes, handlebar, and stem and check if all oils are on the correct level, and do the torque :D

robat

Nov 12, 2020
Germany
When you get a car you pick it up from the dealer. If you would buy a car direct sales with discounts of a direct sales brand. I would imagine that you would double-check the doors and wheels if they are all tightened correctly :). There is a reason I guess that we do not buy cars online :)

I would disagree to that statement. Tesla (e.g.) is almost direct sale. And no, i would not check any part on it, if I would buy one new.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
You buy a bike with the price tag of a small car and can't be shure, that it doesn't fall apart on your first ride.
Yes, these instructions are intended to help you.
If any part cheats or comes off while you are riding your bike, you can injure yourself badly.
So don’t trust that someone else has assembled the bike, but first check that everything is OK

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles