commencal 2021

shenchman

Aug 22, 2020
California
That's how preferences vary ?
I like my suspension plush only at the beginning of the travel and a very responsive mid travel to "push" against. I also prefer a progressive spring curve to increased (hs) compression damping, to keep the bike more lively.
But I think you would need to remove far more than one spacer, to really feel a difference in the mid stoke.
agreed. just fyi there was only one spacer installed from the factory.
after a few more rides I find the e-bike factory tune on the float X2 to be noticeably stiffer from the float X2 I have on my nomad v3, feels like they've really stiffened up the shim stacks. I'm all the way out on LSR to try to get the rear end to pop/spring off jumps, feels almost too stuck to the ground sort of like a V10 DH bike.
same for the fox 38, even all the way out on LSR it's still quite damped relative to all the way out on other fox forks I've had on acoustics.

robat

Nov 12, 2020
Germany
Ok thanks i ll give it a try.

Thats a good tip?

If you have Rock Shox suspension parts, you definitely should consider to do a small service while they're new, since RS is known for really bad lubrication standards...

after a few more rides I find the e-bike factory tune on the float X2 to be noticeably stiffer from the float X2 I have on my nomad v3, feels like they've really stiffened up the shim stacks. I'm all the way out on LSR to try to get the rear end to pop/spring off jumps, feels almost too stuck to the ground sort of like a V10 DH bike.
same for the fox 38, even all the way out on LSR it's still quite damped relative to all the way out on other fox forks I've had on acoustics.
Thanks for the info ?
I ordered the sx ride model with the deluxe on it, but have a 230x65 X2 that I plan to install.
Have you checked the HSR setting? Since HSR and LSR correlate. Maybe you can open it up a little and get the LSR you want. The only other way to get a quicker LSR (besides reshimming) I can think of is to put more pressure in the air chamber (as long your SAG is in an usable range).

JW9

Sep 5, 2020
UK
3EC62D87-8842-4CDE-A7B7-9AA6CF851B58.jpeg

built the bike up yesterday and changed saddle, pedals and grips need to swap the brake over before riding...the blue/green colour looks way more green like the grips in real life, the camera makes it look more blue

shenchman

Aug 22, 2020
California

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
Yes too stiff and slow. Looks like it will take a lot of tweaking.

shenchman

Aug 22, 2020
California
anyone else getting chain rub on the chain guide when in the top 2 cogs = lowest/easiest gears?
I'm on a Meta Power 29 size L Signature, XT drivetrain + E13 E*spec 160mm crank

chain guide doesn't seem to be adjustable in/out. I pulled mine off & have yet to drop a chain...

noblige

Aug 30, 2020
California
anyone else getting chain rub on the chain guide when in the top 2 cogs = lowest/easiest gears?

chain guide doesn't seem to be adjustable in/out. I pulled mine off & have yet to drop a chain...
Yes, same issue :(

noblige

Aug 30, 2020
California
Went for a longer ride today - all in Trail mode (except couple short bursts of Boost). 27 miles and 5k elevation, had 1 bar left at the end. Did not feel I was working much harder in Trail mode than in Boost. Shimano's claim "Set it and forget it" for new Trail mode seems to be mostly true.
Another testament to motor quietness on climbs - had few people surprised that I was coming up behind them: "didn't even hear you" (y)
On other hand found a weak spot: on flatter trails where you need to pedal to keep the speed, hitting 20mph wall was super annoying, especially when pedaling into the jumps. I wish the limit was closer to 25mph.

IMG_2058.jpg

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US

Same here. I called and they said to "raise it as high as it will go", but its already there

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
Unclear on the shock instructions. It says to close the valves all the way by going "all the way clockwise" which pulls them out, then "back them out" counter clockwise x amount of clicks to adjust. Its already all the way backed out. wtf am I not getting. HSC only has 10 click total lock to lock yet instructions says up to 20 clicks?

Apparently this latest version of the shock is different

Last edited:

shenchman

Aug 22, 2020
California
Unclear on the shock instructions. It says to close the valves all the way by going "all the way clockwise" which pulls them out, then "back them out" counter clockwise x amount of clicks to adjust. Its already all the way backed out. wtf am I not getting. HSC only has 10 click total lock to lock yet instructions says up to 20 clicks?
make sure you are reading the 2021 float x2 tuning instructions, it's quite different from 2020 & prior. reduced clicks etc.
clicker adjustments are always relative to fully closed = damped = slow = fully clockwise, then count clicks as you back it out.
with the float x2 ebike tune on the signature at least it's so damped to begin with i'd start basically all the way out on everything actually & dial in the rebound if you feel like it's too bouncy.
SHOCK- 2021 FLOAT X2

FORK- 2021 36mm/38mm

shenchman

Aug 22, 2020
California
fox 38 volume spacer situation. 3 in my size L signature.
depressurize left leg, 32mm socket to remove stanchion cap & they're attached to the cap itself.

PXL_20201121_231109401.jpg

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Went for a longer ride today - all in Trail mode (except couple short bursts of Boost). 27 miles and 5k elevation, had 1 bar left at the end. Did not feel I was working much harder in Trail mode than in Boost. Shimano's claim "Set it and forget it" for new Trail mode seems to be mostly true.
Another testament to motor quietness on climbs - had few people surprised that I was coming up behind them: "didn't even hear you" (y)
On other hand found a weak spot: on flatter trails where you need to pedal to keep the speed, hitting 20mph wall was super annoying, especially when pedaling into the jumps. I wish the limit was closer to 25mph.

View attachment 45142
You can move the speed sensor to the front of your chain stay facing outwards, and then put a bar magnet on your cranks. The power will never turn off because it will think you are never exceeding 8mph or so because you can physically only spin your cranks so fast. Bike can easily get up to 28mph on flats before you start running out of gears.

noblige

Aug 30, 2020
California
You can move the speed sensor to the front of your chain stay facing outwards, and then put a bar magnet on your cranks. The power will never turn off because it will think you are never exceeding 8mph or so because you can physically only spin your cranks so fast. Bike can easily get up to 28mph on flats before you start running out of gears.
Haha, brilliant - definitely something I'll try soon.

shenchman

Aug 22, 2020
California
if this works, post of the year!?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
brief street test seems to work..

View attachment 45168
As an FYI apparently the new Shimano software can store and record any attempts to change the assistance limit, and if any evidence of tampering is found it will invalidate the warranty.

The older Shimano software/E8000 did not do this.

Obviously early days and yet to be tested, but worth knowing.

JW9

Sep 5, 2020
UK
First ride today, bike is amazing. This is my first ebike and the distance covered and number of climbs I did was simply astonishing!
F92D896F-F24A-45F0-A14A-E7B3AC53FDF9.jpeg

The left hand crank arm bolt seems to have fallen off which is annoying, clearly not done up tight by the factory.

9B2492BE-F2D7-4D7C-B3F4-090E452AD1A8.jpeg

Please can someone with the same bike take a picture of their left hand crank arm so I can see what the bolt should look like, cheers!

noblige

Aug 30, 2020
California
First ride today, bike is amazing. This is my first ebike and the distance covered and number of climbs I did was simply astonishing!
View attachment 45199

The left hand crank arm bolt seems to have fallen off which is annoying, clearly not done up tight by the factory.

View attachment 45200

Please can someone with the same bike take a picture of their left hand crank arm so I can see what the bolt should look like, cheers!
It's same on both sides. Reach out E*13 - I had spacers between cranks and BB missing on my Meta Trail, they shipped me replacement for free.

Reactions: JW9

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
probably the only other ebike i would consider besides my levo.

The slim downtube, the decent battery/motor, ability to customize, and the decent mech thats included stock, for a decent price you can't be a commie!

Might even sell my vado once these come out and that way I can have a pavement/trail killer with the meta, and enduro/XC/downhill with the levo.

I also like that hardtail meta pwr, but it comes with an e7000 boooo!!!, would be fun hooligan bike.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
First ride today and was pleasantly surprised by everything. He is a little ride review, and the motor efficiency was amazing riding at normal bike speeds. My decoy with 540wh and e8000 would not have been able to do this full ride unless I REALLY conserved, and I still had 40% left on the Meta!

B3F1F139-7615-48E7-AB22-58BA98F05A78.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles