commencal 2021

noblige

Aug 30, 2020
California
$0 chain jammer: 5mm allen key cut to catch the chainring when it's placed in the crankarm fastening bolt head. just don't forget to take it out!

View attachment 44834

View attachment 44835
Works perfectly! Here're dimensions if anyone wants to make one:

IMG-2051.JPG

IMG-2049.JPG

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
myperfectcolor.com I got the color info from Commencal, they said this would be the closest match. Commencal does not sell the paint.

Hedrix Fast Dry Acrylic Enamel Spray Paint
Match of Pantone PMS 2237 C *
Quality: Premium
Sheen: Gloss
Size: 11oz Spray
FYI this was bad info. Color is not even close, now that Fedex got their head out their butt and finally delivered the bike (!) I can compare. The hunt continues...

noblige

Aug 30, 2020
California
Can somebody with Signature please check: did XT brakes come with metal or resin pads? I’m not at home and need to buy a spare set. Thanks!

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
size L signature, Halloween is over so I peeled off the orange fox float x2 & fox 38 decals which imo looks way better.

I have a 34" inseam & ~80mm of seatpost base showing, I think I'll want a longer dropper than the 175mm oem as I'm still teetering a bit on full down mode, haven't trail tested yet. fox has a 200mm transfer dropper now which has a 320mm max insertion vs frame size L max of 280mm, so you'd have 40mm of base showing which would work for me. oneup or PNW might be even better ie could get them even lower without hitting max insertion limit, I haven't researched yet.

I recommend a few crash/brush tragedy mods, especially ziptie the rear brake disc magnet sensor wire to left chainstay to reduce the chance it gets snagged on a branch or such.

similar for the exposed wire between the display & downtube entry point, trying to minimize the chance it gets snagged & torn.

I usually slit/wrap/ziptie a piece of vinyl tubing around the short section of rear derailleur cable housing too which often gets abused.

Sacha

View attachment 44825
What is the wrap you are using?

shenchman

Aug 22, 2020
California
What is the wrap you are using?

I custom sliced one of the large long pieces probably designed for the top of the downtube in half to protect the edge of the frame where it meets the battery. top of the downtube isn't really vulnerable, sides are.

in other news I removed the single volume spacer from the float x2 shock which is super easy to do, much more plush now.

PXL_20201120_022450059.jpg

PXL_20201120_022430293.jpg

PXL_20201120_022416329.jpg

PXL_20201120_022356214.jpg

PXL_20201120_022346325.jpg

PXL_20201119_212002831.jpg

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada

I custom sliced one of the large long pieces probably designed for the top of the downtube in half to protect the edge of the frame where it meets the battery. top of the downtube isn't really vulnerable, sides are.

in other news I removed the single volume spacer from the float x2 shock which is super easy to do, much more plush now.

View attachment 44917

View attachment 44918

View attachment 44919

View attachment 44920

View attachment 44921

View attachment 44922

Does Commencal have known issues with paint quality?

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US

View attachment 44917

View attachment 44918

View attachment 44919

View attachment 44920

View attachment 44921

View attachment 44922
You ruined it, its all dirty now! ?

shenchman

Aug 22, 2020
California
What do you mean by "plush"?
Since, the only thing that should be more plush by removing vol. spacer is bottom out resistance... ?
volume spacers affect a significant portion of the stroke, not just ultimate bottom out resistance. air is a non-linear progressive spring to begin with per complicated fluid dynamics/physics.
my definition of plush is a feeling of linearity while using nearly the whole range of travel & not just on big drops, big drops I'd rather use HSC to resist vs a progressive spring, which I find makes the bike feel like it has & is using less travel.
just personal preference & very specific to a given bike's squat/compression curve/geometry

FLOAT-air-spring-curves.jpg

ShaneBean

Sep 2, 2020
West Virginia
20201120_134908.jpg

Bike is in. Stem was smashed by something in shipping small paint missing, top right bar stem screw is bent. Also they sent me a euro plug for the charger. Bike came with no charge and wrong plug. Ordered sept4th. This is a XL meta power 29 essential. Ride notes to follow, after I goto bestbuy buy a plug converter and get a charge.
20201120_125814.jpg

20201120_131543.jpg

20201120_114752.jpg

20201120_140727.jpg

robat

Nov 12, 2020
Germany
volume spacers affect a significant portion of the stroke, not just ultimate bottom out resistance. air is a non-linear progressive spring to begin with per complicated fluid dynamics/physics.
my definition of plush is a feeling of linearity while using nearly the whole range of travel & not just on big drops, big drops I'd rather use HSC to resist vs a progressive spring, which I find makes the bike feel like it has & is using less travel.
just personal preference & very specific to a given bike's squat/compression curve/geometry
That's how preferences vary ?
I like my suspension plush only at the beginning of the travel and a very responsive mid travel to "push" against. I also prefer a progressive spring curve to increased (hs) compression damping, to keep the bike more lively.
But I think you would need to remove far more than one spacer, to really feel a difference in the mid stoke.

robat

Nov 12, 2020
Germany
View attachment 45030
Bike is in. Stem was smashed by something in shipping small paint missing, top right bar stem screw is bent. Also they sent me a euro plug for the charger. Bike came with no charge and wrong plug. Ordered sept4th. This is a XL meta power 29 essential. Ride notes to follow, after I goto bestbuy buy a plug converter and get a charge.
View attachment 45031
View attachment 45032

View attachment 45033

View attachment 45034
The avocado "greenish" color looks even better than on the commencal site ?
The composite pedals are also looking quite usable, maybe something for a dirt bike build ?

My SX will arrive next week, it's in Toulouse right now. Ordered last sunday.

Last edited:

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
First impressions: EP8 is sweet. More power than e8000 and much more sensitive to torque demands when pedaling. QUIET!

What about the dreaded rattle? Yes I can hear it, but only if I pay attention to it. With the hills around here I am mostly concentrating on not dying so the rattle aint nuthin.

So far not a fan of the XT shifters. My 2019 Meta Power race had SRAM GX and my Santa Cruz SRAM XO. I like those better. The XT's feel cheap and plasticy to me. May upgrade.

I have never had a fox float x2 so the adjustments seem a bit daunting for now.

Sweet looking bike for sure

IMG_9583.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: JW9

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
Also note that if you get the W101 error code it means the speed sensor it not working and the fix is to firmly attach the small cables under the motor cover. Apparently there has been several calls about this in the last few days.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Water bottle bolts are dumb. Too short for most cages I assume. I had to break out the hacksaw to size some to fit.

1D4BAE33-6758-45DF-BE53-4065308D2AE2.jpeg

mastercut

Jun 15, 2020
Italy
my meta sx was recalled by Commencal yesterday, as they forgot to mount an interface bracket between engine and frame. apparently it is the only my meta Power shipped with this problem. Shimano-requested upgrade that Commencal does on all bikes before shipping them. I've to ship the bike to Andorra wait 2 weeks. I'm really pissed off. I am happy for Commencal's seriousness for having warned me and made themselves available to solve any problem.

beneseleve

Nov 18, 2020
Austria
Hi all!
Will get my meta sx on tuesday. I ordered the rise version with the zeb fork with factory compression setting. Do you think the upgrade to charger rc2.1 is worth it or should i stick with the settings rockshox think is the best? Has anyone experience with factory compression settings?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Hi all!
Will get my meta sx on tuesday. I ordered the rise version with the zeb fork with factory compression setting. Do you think the upgrade to charger rc2.1 is worth it or should i stick with the settings rockshox think is the best? Has anyone experience with factory compression settings?
I would see how you get on with it first, still a lot of adjustment on that fork and will be fine for most people - give it a few months and you can always swap it out later.

Duggan

Feb 20, 2019
Isle of Man
I would see how you get on with it first, still a lot of adjustment on that fork and will be fine for most people - give it a few months and you can always swap it out later.
As R120 says, give it some time, if you do decide to change just time it in when the forks are due a service.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles