commencal 2021

ShaneBean

Sep 2, 2020
West Virginia
Hahaha sounds like a solid argument :-D (maybe more than that my favorite bikes Propain Spindrift and YT Capra are 27..)
29 slower acceleration, slightly heavier, slightly better roll over (obstacles), slightly faster at speed, slightly more stable. As far as ebikes are concerned I'd rule out anything involving weight. 29 is a no brainer imho

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think that the inherent weight of EMTB,s provide stability, so I don’t think 29 gives any advantage over 27.5 in that aspect, however the other pros and cons remain the same.

some say you can size down in an EMTB due to the stability the weight gives, but this is a personal choice depending on how you ride.

Vlad

Sep 8, 2020
Prague
Yeah my concern is around the weight and how agile/flickable the bike then actually is..
I still kinda like finding a good line (being tought a lesson if I don’t), play around with the bike and have a sense of controlling what the bike does vs just sitting on a tank and plowing through a straight line.

gbarfoot

Sep 1, 2020
Colorado usa
When I called and asked about options being removed from the site they told me that means they are all sold....so all sizes of signature preorders are sold I'm guessing....it's odd that it disappears and doesn't stay up so you can see specs, but if you look back at 2020 it only shows options that are available in inventory...so I assume that is how their site is structured

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
When I called and asked about options being removed from the site they told me that means they are all sold....so all sizes of signature preorders are sold I'm guessing....it's odd that it disappears and doesn't stay up so you can see specs, but if you look back at 2020 it only shows options that are available in inventory...so I assume that is how their site is structured
Yep

Hugh-Jazz

Jan 15, 2020
San Marcos, CA
It will be nice when they can actually ships bikes rather than just holding onto my pre-order cash! I’m a bit concerned about how much time the rework to the motor will take.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
It will be nice when they can actually ships bikes rather than just holding onto my pre-order cash! I’m a bit concerned about how much time the rework to the motor will take.
I’m scared of this as well. My friend who is knowledgeable about the bike industry said he wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t see out bikes until March 2021.

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
Commencal makes headlines on mainstream tech site:

Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 6.39.19 PM.png

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I’m thinking about March time also.

Shimano need to rework the EP8 production line. They say motor will be ready by end of year.

Then it needs to be delivered to From Japan to OEM manufacturers in Taiwan.

Chinese New Year in beginning of Feb means shutdown for a couple of weeks.

Bike needs to be assembled then delivered from Taiwan to the brands.

Then is shipped from the brand to customer.

So I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s March 2021.

vham777

Oct 8, 2018
Switzerland
i actually was discussing this issue a bit with the commencal customer service... i have 3 bikes from commencal and usually i am very happy with the service they providee. but i am struggling to pay 7k and the wait half a year, what do they do with the cash? so i asked to make a pre-order and then pay when shipping, but a big NO from commencal...

pabloantu

Sep 10, 2020
Spain
According to the information I got from Commencal they have the bikes already in stock in France, and Shimano confirmed they will start delivering new motors in October. Commencal will do the swap directly at their warehouse, without shipping the bikes back, so they are still confident to deliver bikes to final customer in December (at least in Europe)

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
According to the information I got from Commencal they have the bikes already in stock in France, and Shimano confirmed they will start delivering new motors in October. Commencal will do the swap directly at their warehouse, without shipping the bikes back, so they are still confident to deliver bikes to final customer in December (at least in Europe)

In the USA, the current commitment is February 2021:

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
I’m thinking about March time also.

Shimano need to rework the EP8 production line. They say motor will be ready by end of year.

Then it needs to be delivered to From Japan to OEM manufacturers in Taiwan.

Chinese New Year in beginning of Feb means shutdown for a couple of weeks.

Bike needs to be assembled then delivered from Taiwan to the brands.

Then is shipped from the brand to customer.

So I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s March 2021.
I really hope that’s not the case for the US. Otherwise I would may have waited for a completely different style ebike that is supposed to be released around that same timeframe.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I really hope that’s not the case for the US. Otherwise I would may have waited for a completely different style ebike that is supposed to be released around that same timeframe.
I also hope it’s not the case. But it’s possible. Basically we are waiting for a motor from a retooled production line that Shimano told me will be ready by the end of the year.

brewoz40

Jun 1, 2020
San Diego
I dont see why Commencal doesn't do a 'deposit' for the pre-order, not the full amount, especially since delivery is at least 3 months away at best! That's total crap! They should offer a 25% deposit for a hold, or even do 50%, then balance is due once it's ready for shipment.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
I dont see why Commencal doesn't do a 'deposit' for the pre-order, not the full amount, especially since delivery is at least 3 months away at best! That's total crap! They should offer a 25% deposit for a hold, or even do 50%, then balance is due once it's ready for shipment.
Privateer bikes did a $100 deposit for pre-order I believe. (On their new pedal bike released a few months ago).

Gibalmc

Jun 7, 2020
Tweed valley
Commencal UK web store is now showing “in stock” for certain sizes of the meta power29” models. Has there been a change in the situation with the motors? They were pre order for December delivery this morning which fits the narrative of the motor issue but now they’re showing in stock & available to buy???

Hugh-Jazz

Jan 15, 2020
San Marcos, CA
Commencal UK web store is now showing “in stock” for certain sizes of the meta power29” models. Has there been a change in the situation with the motors? They were pre order for December delivery this morning which fits the narrative of the motor issue but now they’re showing in stock & available to buy???
I see that on the Europe store too. The U.S. store still shows December. A change in motor status or a website mistake?

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
Just found out the other bike I was considering, the Trek Rail 9.8, has a 120 day ETA. They are also having issues, although not Shimano related. Looks like a long wait either way... ?

Gibalmc

Jun 7, 2020
Tweed valley
Update from commencal email this morning. They had website issues yesterday. The bikes are not in stock (well they are but with the dodgy motors). Timescale for pre order is still December. New motors will be swapped out in their French warehouse where the bikes are currently being held. On a side note I’m booked on a Focus demo day on Monday & should get to test both the Sam2 6.9 & 6.8 (according to the host dealer ??) which if it goes well might mean I don’t care about the ep8 delay anymore ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles