commencal 2021

dropbear14

Apr 19, 2021
Brisbane
I’m same size - riding a large meta27 sig (485mm reach). Feels great. Definitely long wheel base (slack headset angle) so not super agile on tight single track - but holy moly does it rail downhill and through the gnar... so, as everyone’s mentioned - kind of depends on what type of riding you are buying for.
hey thank you mate! i am leaning towards the large, another 40mm (give or take, it's an additional 43mm over my 2020 Clash medium)) reach seems like a lot when I look at it on a ruler, but hopefully I don't feel too stretched out on it. i do remember my medium Clash feeling slightly cramped. also as the previous guy noted, even steeper seat tube angles on the 21's may make that additional reach feel less obvious.

such a tough decision for such an expensive bike! don't wanna get it wrong. thanks for everyone's input so far.

NCeMTB

Dec 24, 2020
Raleigh NC
I did put on a 32mm RF stem and Chromag Fubar 35/35 bars to match all my bikes. Although reach numbers are different with my bikes, the distance from above the stem at bars to the middle of the BB is all the same. That’s best indicator of fit for me. Reach has a lot to do with frame angles which all vary a bit.

Bottom line is you’ll be stoked with either size.

NCeMTB

Dec 24, 2020
Raleigh NC
Until my Shimano cranks arrive, 6-7nm on the cap, and 16+ nm on both pinch bolts (alternating from 12-14-16 from inner bolt to outer when tightening). Also marked cap and bolts so have visual reference if they start to loosen on the trail. Too many instances of fellow MTBers getting hurt when the e13s have come off. Not gonna risk/deal with it.

UPDATE --> OK to WAY BETTER. In all fairness - once the e13s were (over) torqued, they did not move much... but, started to creak a bit (which isn't confidence inspiring). Ultimately the fit just isn't that great, and the torque specs are basically wrong... so be careful out there. Shimano XTs on now - peace of mind acquired. I used blue marker to visually let me know if the e13s were loosening. I looked and checked this habitually before every big send which ultimately is not the best way to prepare yourself...
IMG_9557.jpg
IMG_9558.jpg

shenchman

Aug 22, 2020
California
UPDATE --> OK to WAY BETTER. In all fairness - once the e13s were (over) torqued, they did not move much... but, started to creak a bit (which isn't confidence inspiring). Ultimately the fit just isn't that great, and the torque specs are basically wrong... so be careful out there. Shimano XTs on now - peace of mind acquired. I used blue marker to visually let me know if the e13s were loosening. I looked and checked this habitually before every big send which ultimately is not the best way to prepare yourself...
View attachment 62099 View attachment 62100

does the oem chainring work with the XT cranks? got XT 165mm waiting to install.

NCeMTB

Dec 24, 2020
Raleigh NC
does the oem chainring work with the XT cranks? got XT 165mm waiting to install.
Absolutely. Works perfectly. Be sure to align the gap in the end of the crank arm with the drain hole in the EP8 spindle (will fit 180 degrees out which blocks drain). The plastic ring/shroud on the e13 drive side crank doesn’t fit the Shimano crank - and it’s not needed. Works great, looks great.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles