Commencal 2019 range is live

eFat

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2018
Switzerland
It's the new eMTB drivetrains from Sram. GX Eagle cassette and NX to XX1 single-click shifters.

Borist

Apr 13, 2018
SoCal
"NON-CONTRACTUAL PHOTOS"
I take it bikes will look a bit different in life. $500 more expensive for most specs compared to the last year. Finally a decent looking chainstay protector ;-)

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
Poor choice on the 175mm dropper. 150 is perfect for me bottomed out on an XL at 6'1".

Prefer DT Swiss wheels with strait pull spokes and torque caps.

Last edited:

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I am surprised they didn’t go with a different battery for better integration this model cycle.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I am surprised they didn’t go with a different battery for better integration this model cycle.

I don’t see how they could make that battery any neater Or do you mean a built in battery ? One reason for choosing this model for me was the ease of using two batteries and the ability to remove and take it indoors to charge in the warm Which is a must here in the winter , unless you heat the garage or shed

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Hmm, that was a lot of black/grey. And only the most expensive of the three 27 bikes has got a coil... Not too impressed at first glance. I really liked the 2018 orange one, with a coil shock.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Hmm, that was a lot of black/grey. And only the most expensive of the three 27 bikes has got a coil... Not too impressed at first glance. I really liked the 2018 orange one, with a coil shock.
They still have the orange but Xl only , all prices up by €500 , but that seems to be the same across most makes , or the spec will be reduced I think it was a new thing for commencal last year so prices were relatively low , since there’s been a waiting list for the bikes all year , i guess they are feeling a bit more confident now . Especially adding 29ers , not so much choice in 29ers out there so I guess that will be a good seller too
Anyone waiting for prices to drop is in for disappointment I think

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I don’t see how they could make that battery any neater Or do you mean a built in battery ? One reason for choosing this model for me was the ease of using two batteries and the ability to remove and take it indoors to charge in the warm Which is a must here in the winter , unless you heat the garage or shed
I have no problem charging my Levo batteries indoors and I can run a water bottle on my frame without a humpback ? battery.
Maybe that’s on the drawing board for a model redesign for 2020.
All I am saying is, with what was shown at Eurobike, integration seemed to be one of the key features the majority of the big brands were going for.
These just make an awesome suspension design look dated.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I have no problem charging my Levo batteries indoors and I can run a water bottle on my frame without a humpback ? battery.
All I am saying is, with what was shown at Eurobike, integration seemed to be one of the key features the majority of the big brands were going for.

Personal preference I guess , and function over form , I would like a bottle mount , but one bottle is never enough and most fames only fit a small bottle , I can strap one on with a backcountry strap easier than unbolting a battery . Personally I don’t think the battery looks any uglier than adding a drink bottle to a frame , a big fat down tube I find uglier and removing and refitting an intergrated battery every time I ride would be a pain because I alternate my two batteries , plus it’s nice to be able to check and clean the terminals easily , not to mention the difficulty carrying a long battery .
Just my thoughts and one reason I bought the commencal .

Voodoosix

Jul 29, 2018
Va USA
The non integrated battery was one of the features I was after when deciding what to buy, it’s more compact and less expensive than the integrated batteries making it easier / less expensive to carry a spare for long range excursions. Idve liked to have a bottle mount though, like what Canyon did with the Spectral: on so can use my keg. I have to remove the battery to charge as my shed doesn’t have electricity so the external batt helps there as well.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Backcountry Research Mutherload Strap

These hold a bottle on very well , the curvy shaped coke bottles are especially secure
If they made one with a bigger loop a spare battery would strap to the lower part of the top tube quite well using 2 straps and a pad .

Isn’t is a shame batteries don’t lose wieght like water bottles as they discharge ?

HeatproofGenie

Jul 23, 2018
CO, USA
I had the Pivot overheat when climbing a 2k ft climb about 1200ft in when climbing in trail and boost mode whilst demoing it. Point is that integrated batteries can also have issues. Look at the new Haibike and how it has the ram air scoops for battery cooling.

Kernow, where on the Commencal frame are you strapping your bottle? Commencal 29er is high on my list of candidates.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I had the Pivot overheat when climbing a 2k ft climb about 1200ft in when climbing in trail and boost mode whilst demoing it. Point is that integrated batteries can also have issues. Look at the new Haibike and how it has the ram air scoops for battery cooling.

Kernow, where on the Commencal frame are you strapping your bottle? Commencal 29er is high on my list of candidates.

On the lower end of the top tube where it meets the seat tube , it’s not in the way there and sits quite well on top . The tube is quite flat and wide at this point . I also strap a tube in the front of the frame triangle , there’s possibly room there for a small frame bag . Or light battery

I’ve never noticed the battery or motor get hot , I’ve often checked it on long climbs. Battery heating up to any detriment hadn’t occurred to me

HeatproofGenie

Jul 23, 2018
CO, USA
Okay, was just curious.

Yes there is room for a small frame bag in the front of the frame triangle. I have one for that area that I use on many bikes and when I demoed the Commencal it mounted there quite well on a large frame. Had a tube, pump, energy bar and tool in there.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Okay, was just curious.

Yes there is room for a small frame bag in the front of the frame triangle. I have one for that area that I use on many bikes and when I demoed the Commencal it mounted there quite well on a large frame. Had a tube, pump, energy bar and tool in there.

Got any details of the bag , Iam off to try the one I have now , but I think it’s probably too big . Mines a medium so less space ,
Would like to find a way to utilise the flat but above the motor

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I run a frame bag and when i want one a bottle with motherload strap on my vitus, which is very similar set up frame wise to the Commencal, except you would have to mount the bottle in from of the shock - you can actually strap the bottle to the battery too

IMG_1150 3.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Only my snowboard, Silverton and Telluride, some of the best days of my life out there

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada

My Levo stays indoors in the winter but cold to me is -30c or below :)

papab

Jun 10, 2018
colorado
They were at the top of my list, not sure now. Good price and coil spring shock. +$500 & no coil spring for the essential. I don't mind buying without a dealer network, but there has to be a good savings. Also it's too bad that the coil spring shock is only available on the top model.

Last edited:

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
They were at the top of my list, not sure now. Good price and coil spring shock. +$500 & no coil spring for the essential. I don't mind buying without a dealer network, but there has to be a good savings. Also it's too bad that the coil spring shock is only available on the top model.
Problem is everything else has gone up in price too , have you found any other bikes offering similar or better value for that spec ,
I haven’t really looked around recently so not sure what else is out there except the canyon

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles