Command Post never fails.... (to disappoint)

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
*warning* Incoming rant on CP and Spez seats

I had my first command post back in 2012, came with my FSR Stumpjumper Expert. Failed within a year..same with my ride buddy who bought same bike.

Fast forward to 2018, i get a new Sworks Levo, hated the CP at first use...it just wants to kick me in the balls every time and reducing the pressure didnt help, cos it causes it not to rise to the max.

Creaked like mad...sent it back to LBS after 200km...they agreed there was something wrong with it, and fitted a brand new one, no questions asked. (this was 2 rides ago)

Today...this happens....Seat rails sheared clean off ...not even at a jump/landing...just a simple fast uphill. Had to ghetto fix it with cable ties to get home.

Spez makes awesome bikes....they make shit seats and droppers. I have owned 2 KS, 1 reverb, 2 CP over the last 10 years....the KS and Reverb were bomb proof tru years of abuse.

The 2018 CP has the most frustrating seat clamp design in the world...fiddly, hard to adjust and creaks

Ok thanks reading my rant if you are still with me.... both are being junked...putting back on a reverb and WTB Volt

20180911_122642.jpg
20180911_092611.jpg

Steady_eddy

Patreon
Apr 25, 2018
Netherlands
Wow I've never seen the rails break like that before. I am in day 4 of Kenevo ownership and over 150km's of riding has been done. My dropper makes some strange noises but I accepted when I bought it that I will have to replace it at some point as the stack is too high. I will be interested to see what people are replacing it with (with the lowest stack height etc.). It looks like the bolts could have been tightened too much?

Last edited:

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Yeah my Spesh Henge snapped the rails too and no warranty on that. Replaced it with the sports henge with solid steel rails as opposed to the original Comp with hollow CrMo.
No problems thus far.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
As for droppers, the command post is one of only 3 available on the market with a set back. 9point8 and only the KS Eten being the other.
If you have your seat all the way back with a Command post, then all the other posts won’t suit as they have zero setback.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Ah that ks is what i have been looking for anybody have any experience with these?

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Ah that ks is what i have been looking for anybody have any experience with these?
Only the eTen in their range has the setback.
I have heard good reports of KS droppers in general tho most are of the Integra, which has zero setback.

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
I love the Command post, ridden them since they first came out and never had an issue. simple to service and I know it's up fully in a split second! Never once hit me painfully. Lift your ass when you hit the lever! ;):p

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
At the moment i can count three comand posts, one brand x, one crank bros and one ks in my bike shed and only the command posts give trouble

Steady_eddy

Patreon
Apr 25, 2018
Netherlands
[QUOTE="\Personally I don't hate my command post, it's not broken yet, so it's already doing better than a reverb ?[/QUOTE]

That's strange, I've had one on my 'conventional' bike for 4 years and it's never been serviced, still going great!

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
[QUOTE="\Personally I don't hate my command post, it's not broken yet, so it's already doing better than a reverb ?

That's strange, I've had one on my 'conventional' bike for 4 years and it's never been serviced, still going great![/QUOTE]

First done developed about 45degrees of rotational movement within a couple of months. Second one lasted about a year and then started acting like a suspension seatpost, third one did really well, lasted about 2.5 years, but developed erectile issues around Christmas. Google ‘reverb failure’ and you’ll see what their reputation is like! The big issue I have is figuring out what to replace with, I need a 150-170mm post, reverbs are terrible but can be serviced anywhere, KS are ok but are a pain to get serviced (and seem to need servicing every 12-18months), crank brothers get mixed reviews, I solved the problem by buying a Kenevo with a dropper that works and ignoring the bike with the knackered reverb :)

Geoff

Aug 21, 2018
Australia
I don't hate Command Post either. I did have issues with my original 2014 Command Post IR loosing air but since having it replaced wth the newer Command Post CC version I've not had any problems at all. We currently have 4 Command Post CC's on bikes in our household (1x2015, 2x2016, 1x2018) and all have been faultless.

First impressions of the Command Post WU on the Kenevo are positive. I'm riding a medium frame and at the upper end of the height range for that frame so not experiencing the stack height issue that others are having as a result of being at the lower end of the size range for their chosen frame size. I can fully understand how this post may not work for some people.

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
Mine is at LBS where I bought the bike. Its only two weeks old! It scratches inside and jams and doesn't move smoothly after only couple rides. They checked it said they'll fix it. I don't know much about bikes, I just want it work correctly and leave everything to the shop to deal with and I'll pay if not under warranty thats it. This is only thing I hate on the lovely 2018 Levo Carbon Expert. What the heck they can't make something that actually works? I was surprised. It had some issue from brand new, but this being my first bike with an adjustable post I didn't know any better. After a few rides I realized something was clearly wrong with this thing.

DEADMEAT

Jul 17, 2018
Hertfordshire
Wow I've never seen the rails break like that before. I am in day 4 of Kenevo ownership and over 150km's of riding has been done. My dropper makes some strange noises but I accepted when I bought it that I will have to replace it at some point as the stack is too high. I will be interested to see what people are replacing it with (with the lowest stack height etc.). It looks like the bolts could have been tightened too much?

Bike Yoke Revive...

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
my KS Lev Integra / Fabric Scoop Elite was creaking but I cant get on with "hammock" saddles so I fitted a Fizik Nisene sport Ti and greased the clamp/collar and bolts - 2 niggles fixed at the same time.

Allysnell

Sep 16, 2018
Winchester
Yup same here the drop isn't low enough I'm 6'3" and I'm still on tiptoes with the seat down. If I stop and forget to drop the post I'm on the floor.

Steady_eddy

Patreon
Apr 25, 2018
Netherlands
Right, I've started to notice that I'm really not getting on with the WU. So after some shopping I've realized there's not much on the market with a diameter of 34.9mm. I really wanted to go for the Fox Transfer Kashima (I'm a sucker for Kashima) but it's not supplied in that size from what I can find. Would it be possible to run this with some sort of space adapter? If so, does anyone have a link to one?

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
Ok so the new bikes here 2019 Expert and I have to say these later 34.9 Command Posts (not the WU) do feel rough when you action them up and down and unlike my previous 30.9 models I have on my analogue bike. They just feel and sound like metal grinding on metal inside and I'm already having trouble with it not topping out properly! I even tried briefly upping the pressure to 100 psi and a light squirt of GT85 on the stanchion.
For a bike that lists at £7200 these latest Command posts are poor!

Does anyone know what pressure these new 34.9 are supposed to run at? I've looked everywhere in the new bike manuals and on the Spec website and nothing I can't find anything about these new posts.
I read a review on the WU version and it states 15-20psi which is what I used to run in my older 30.9mm.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
My command post went in 4x within 18m. I'd never have another and that wu one looks daft. I did get used to the violent rise though, makes a right noise.

The fox is much nicer to look at and use. But it's not without fault. The side to side motion is more than any other post I've used. I can feel it when riding at times.

Been told it's normal and compared with a new one was very similar.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I just bought a Brand X for wife’s Levo HT and even its very very cheap it seems like it’s doing a good job and no more catapulting you off the bike. I’ll buy one for my own Levo as well, tired of not enough travel on the wu.

Karsten

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
I tried actioning the X-Fusion Manic on a Comp Carbon 2019 and it was much nicer, I can see what's coming here..... I'll end up with an X-Fusion Manic as an option replacement and then I'll be thinking... hang on a minute I paid extra for the Expert and now I've got a Comp Carbon seat post! Do I get some money back then as well?? :unsure:

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
Had a good look at mine and it's not a mechanical issue within the seatpost itself. It's a cable routing issue and not allowing the inner cable to slide freely within the outer. I've given it to Chris at Berkshire Cycles to sought out as they may need to replace the inner and outer.
Keep you posted.... (y)

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Had a good look at mine and it's not a mechanical issue within the seatpost itself. It's a cable routing issue and not allowing the inner cable to slide freely within the outer. I've given it to Chris at Berkshire Cycles to sought out as they may need to replace the inner and outer.
Keep you posted.... (y)
And gt85 will kill it

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Nah not if you use it sparingly and it's a must if you want the thing to work properly, been using it for years on all my posts and it's fine.

using it for what though?

GT85 is a cleaner and water displacer. Not a lubricant and as such it evaporates leaving the surface you've sprayed it on dry. It'll also break down grease if mixed/sprayed into a greased moving component.
If you're using it on the shaft of your post to clean it, spray it on a cloth first and wipe away from the seal.otherwise you're fooling yourself that it's doing any good. most mechanical droppers take 1min to open the top seal and inspect/clean/re-grease without removing them from the bike. I'd suggest doing this instead.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles