Comfortable saddle for a 97kg rider?

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Personally think the sit bones measurement thing is bollocks.

But agree, rider weight has nothing at all to do with which saddle is going to feel best.
ride more. A LOT more. and you'll find minimal padding lightweight racy saddles will become more comfortable.
Most folks Emtb mileage isn't anywhere close to what I'd consider a lot
Agree absolutely. Spec. LBS used their fancy tool to measure my sit bones ages ago when it first became available, and I have since spent over $400 on lightweight super expensive top-of-the-line saddles based on their measurement, suffering the entire time while riding with Lycra shorts with thickest pads. It wasn't until I ordered a wider saddle on a whim that I finally found comfort. Just keep it in mind.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
It took me ages to find a saddle I was comfortable on until I came across the SQlab saddles. I used the cardboard measuring mentioned above to find sit bone width and then used their system to choose a saddle width: Saddle Width System / Sit Bone Measurements - SQlab GmbH

I now use a 611 Ergowave Active saddle for MTB and then a 612 saddle for road (1 cm narrower)

View attachment 7117
I like the sound of this saddle and the design concept........were you able to "try before you buy" as they are expensive (£130 odd for the active)and I dont want to add another plank to my growing stock!
Judging from their sizing guide The saddle on my Focus is FAR too narrow....and NO I dont have a huge arse!!:poop:

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
were you able to "try before you buy" as they are expensive (£130 odd for the active)and I dont want to add another plank to my growing stock!

I couldn't find a physical shop nearby that sells them, so when I first bought one for my road bike I just decided to take the plunge and got one from Amazon. You could at least then try fitting it to your posterior with the idea of seeing if it seems to fit ok! Or try sitting on it on the sofa or a stool or something. But the only way to really tell if it's going to be comfortable is to go for a real length normal ride on a bike. In theory you should be able to return it if it's the wrong size, and has no marks etc. But luckily the size and model I got was great first time. They definitely feel completely different to other saddles I've tried in the past.

Their dealer locator does list a few physical shops in the UK but not many.

Actually, I never noticed this before, but on the SQlabs website it says this: "Free shipping and 30 days trial with money back guarantee! You can test our saddles and grips 30 days extensively, the more the better. (only valid for orders here in our Online Shop)". So buying a saddle direct from them is probably the best way to try one out with no worries!

I also notice on their website they have a new saddle supposedly designed specifically for e-bike / gravity riding, the 60X Ergowave Active, could be interesting ...

Edit: here's a link to their MTB saddles SQlab | MTB | Ergonomic bicycle parts

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I went down the SQ Labs route, and have yet to be convinced - the saddle itself is one of the best made bits of kit i have ever seen saddle wise. Still giving it a try but my go to Fabric scoop is still ahead in the comfort stakes for me.

Rode the SDG Bel Airs for years, but now pretty settled on the Fabrics.

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
I went down the SQ Labs route, and have yet to be convinced - the saddle itself is one of the best made bits of kit i have ever seen saddle wise. Still giving it a try but my go to Fabric scoop is still ahead in the comfort stakes for me.

Rode the SDG Bel Airs for years, but now pretty settled on the Fabrics.
Which scoop version, the elite gel one?

Markymark

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Surrey
I've got a Selle Royal Respiro on mine took all the bum ache out for me. Don't ask which version, can't remember without looking.
Christ! Brooks saddles are expensive these days I used to have leather ones on my bikes back in the 1980's/90's I don't remember them being that dear.
Bloody hard as nails till it moulds to your bum then they are fantastic. I always thought they were a cheap brand until just now.
Cheers!

jeeter333

Jun 18, 2019
usa
I've got a Selle Royal Respiro on mine took all the bum ache out for me. Don't ask which version, can't remember without looking.
Christ! Brooks saddles are expensive these days I used to have leather ones on my bikes back in the 1980's/90's I don't remember them being that dear.
Bloody hard as nails till it moulds to your bum then they are fantastic. I always thought they were a cheap brand until just now.
Cheers!

Likewise, Moderate version

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles