• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Cold and LCD displays

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Most of us keep our batteries indoors during the winter months but what about the LCD displays?
Has anyone suffered cold damage to their screens? Not all of them are easily removable e.g. Purion.
At very cold temperatures the liquid crystal does actually freeze ?
Should we worry about this and what can we do?

Master_G

Oct 13, 2019
Gloucester
my 2002 vw passat has an lcd display - ive seen the temperature as low as -14C before.

It slows its reaction time but has never not worked so dont think it would affect a bike with a lifespan of 5 years

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think most LCD's are safe down to -20c and often lower.

LCD's have more problems when exposed to strong direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time.

So as @Master_G says .... I'd put that way down your list of things to worry about.

You should be more concerned about illegally importing your ovaltine into Denmark or Canada ..

The Lifetime Ban of Ovaltine: Details Here!

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I think most LCD's are safe down to -20c and often lower.

LCD's have more problems when exposed to strong direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time.

So as @Master_G says .... I'd put that way down your list of things to worry about.

You should be more concerned about illegally importing your ovaltine into Denmark or Canada ..

The Lifetime Ban of Ovaltine: Details Here!

Powerful stuff!
Why bother going to all the trouble of de-restricting a bike when you can simply drink some Ovaltine instead ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The average age of ovaltine drinkers is quite high ..

The average age of e-bikers is quite high ..

But if you use ovaltine, you don't need an e-bike .. so there must be two distinct groups in society - Push bike Ovaltiners and E-bike Alcoholics.

Except in Denmark and Canada where there must just be e-bike alcoholics.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
The beverage of choice for conquering Everest (and also a few mole hills on my entry-level EMTB)

CDC5CE0A-D21F-4FDB-B655-2BF3C557141F.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles