Coil vs Air shock

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
I'm about to buy a commercial meta power 29 and can buy the race version with rockshox lyric fork and RCT coil, or spend a few more dollars ($500) and get the Fox factory 36 and and float X2 factory air. Any comments on coil vs air? Fox version also has shimano XT brakes vs SRAM code R.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Has the Fox got the fit 4 damper ? If so it will be as adjustable as the float x2 if that’s your thing.
If they are the new XT 4piston brakes, I have heard good things.
Coil you will have to faf around and get the correct weight spring if the one it comes with does not suit. Coils are liniar and give the same feel all the way through the stroke. Air springs are progressive and ramp up spring rates as they compress. They both feel very different.

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
I debated the same. Get the 29 fox essential or a 2018 27.5 essential with the rockshox coil over and Lyrik. My biggest deciding factor was the Lyric can also be converted to a coil with an ACS-3 the ebike 36 actually uses the 34 internals and cannot be converted to coil at this time. I'm choosing coils on both ends over bigger tires. Price is about a wash. Coils are way better especialy if you tip the scales over 200LBS (91kg) Much more tuneable and stable. Air shocks near max pressure are generally unhappy. Plus I don't need to constantly be messing with a shock pump.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles