Coil shock options for '19 Levo?

jm2e

Jun 2, 2019
ekn8tios
Wife and I both using Ohlin's TTX Coils. Feels amazing "most" of the time. Issue is bottoming out on drops to flat-ish landings. Anything from 2-5 feet we've both bottomed pretty hard.

Spent another $200 on heavier springs from Ohlin's and it got a little better, but still bottoming with some regularity. In hind sight, the 25lb increments of the Ohlin's springs just wasn't a big enough increase for either of us. After talking to a couple other Ohlin's owners, I swear they under-spring people just so they can sell more $100 coils!

Anyway, just ordered some Cane Creek Progressive Valut springs to try out. It does feel like the TTX handles the heavy bike perfectly in most situations, but that all the mass generated coming down from a jump translates into way more force than a linear spring can handle. Fingers crossed we're on the right track here, as I'd hate to go back to an air shock after the way this thing feels with a coil.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Wife and I both using Ohlin's TTX Coils. Feels amazing "most" of the time. Issue is bottoming out on drops to flat-ish landings. Anything from 2-5 feet we've both bottomed pretty hard.

Spent another $200 on heavier springs from Ohlin's and it got a little better, but still bottoming with some regularity. In hind sight, the 25lb increments of the Ohlin's springs just wasn't a big enough increase for either of us. After talking to a couple other Ohlin's owners, I swear they under-spring people just so they can sell more $100 coils!

Anyway, just ordered some Cane Creek Progressive Valut springs to try out. It does feel like the TTX handles the heavy bike perfectly in most situations, but that all the mass generated coming down from a jump translates into way more force than a linear spring can handle. Fingers crossed we're on the right track here, as I'd hate to go back to an air shock after the way this thing feels with a coil.
What weight are you and what rate spring? I'm 88kgs and ended up on a 650lb spring which feels great.

ReinerSt0ff77

Jan 15, 2020
weedfield
Hi Folks,my Levo with an DVO Shock in 216x64 with 180mm Travel with a Titan Spring.

I am loving it ?
Greets from Switzerland

20200114_160458 (1).jpg

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Looks great!
The frame clearance is looking very tight between the yoke and the seat tube :eek:.
Did you use an offset bush on the front of the shock to reduce the eye to eye length or have you left it as is?
180mm forks on the front as well?

Reactions: CjP

jbodnar

Patreon
Subscriber
Nov 23, 2019
California
I just got a new Coil IL for my 2020 Levo Comp...

My shock does not have this sticker on it...but this sticker is on the outside of the box.

Damn...I sent an email to Cane Creek...will probably have to wait till next week to hear back.

I was wondering if anyone else received their shock without the sticker on the shock, but still ended up being able to use it.

Thanks.

gimmick_82

Oct 6, 2019
Vienna

My shock does not have this sticker on it...but this sticker is on the outside of the box.

Damn...I sent an email to Cane Creek...will probably have to wait till next week to hear back.

I was wondering if anyone else received their shock without the sticker on the shock, but still ended up being able to use it.

Thanks.

Hi,
I also got a CC Coil with no Sticker. I asked CC if the serialnumber is Levo compatible, the answer was: no.
But tf-tuned tuned and changed the shock before they sent it to me. So there is still a "wrong" serial number on the shock, but the shock is ok for levos.
Dissapointing, that the shock is in westbury again after 1 month of use. Climb switch and RB setting changes did not change anything in the shock behaviour - so there is something wrong.
I hope i will here from the warrenty-service next week.

tacoma22

Dec 8, 2019
California
I put on a fox dhx2 210x52.5 with a 500lb sls spring. The ride is fantastic. Only one harsh feeling bottom out but my tire pressure was also way too low. Around 21psi. Harsh rim dinger. Even a few 2-4 foot drops to flat did not feel harsh bottom out.

Might try the cc progressive coil for fun
A8DF41A2-E8B8-4141-A2B7-36CA0D1A83C9.jpeg

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland

Thanks.

What size of shock?

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland
I bought a 210 mm x 55 mm.

If I can use it, I’m going to try it with a 650 lb spring first.

There might be sticker only at 210*52,5 as it is same size as stock shock. Dont think that warranty remains using a longer stroke.

jbodnar

Patreon
Subscriber
Nov 23, 2019
California
There might be sticker only at 210*52,5 as it is same size as stock shock. Dont think that warranty remains using a longer stroke.

Thanks for pointing that out...

I read that notice as voiding the Cane Creek shock manufacturer warranty and it doesn’t mention shock size.

I want to make sure mine is not one of the hollow shaft versions (if that is the difference), since I’m a heavier rider.

It does feel really light without a spring.

jbodnar

Patreon
Subscriber
Nov 23, 2019
California
Thanks for pointing that out...

I read that notice as voiding the Cane Creek shock manufacturer warranty and it doesn’t mention shock size.

I want to make sure mine is not one of the hollow shaft versions (if that is the difference), since I’m a heavier rider.

It does feel really light without a spring.

I called Cane Creek and they said my IL coil was manufactured in November...so it should have a solid shaft.

The sales person I spoke with mentioned that I might also need to check frame clearance (it sounded like there could be an issue where something on the top of the shock might contact the frame...he also mentioned I could mount it upside down, if needed).

I haven’t heard of anyone else with a fitting/frame issue regarding their Levo and the IL coil...

I still need to have someone press out the bottom bushing so I can mount it up and check it...

bbred

Aug 15, 2018
Derbyshire
I called Cane Creek and they said my IL coil was manufactured in November...so it should have a solid shaft.

The sales person I spoke with mentioned that I might also need to check frame clearance (it sounded like there could be an issue where something on the top of the shock might contact the frame...he also mentioned I could mount it upside down, if needed).

I haven’t heard of anyone else with a fitting/frame issue regarding their Levo and the IL coil...

I still need to have someone press out the bottom bushing so I can mount it up and check it...
Have fitted the cc IL Coil 210 x 55 on a carbon comp no issues at all with frame clearance with the increased stroke or the coil body/spring hitting anything on the frame. Also, just for information the fox springs fit no problem so you can go higher than 650lb CC coils if you wish. The shock is a really good with great adjustments available

gimmick_82

Oct 6, 2019
Vienna
Hi,
I also got a CC Coil with no Sticker. I asked CC if the serialnumber is Levo compatible, the answer was: no.
But tf-tuned tuned and changed the shock before they sent it to me. So there is still a "wrong" serial number on the shock, but the shock is ok for levos.
Dissapointing, that the shock is in westbury again after 1 month of use. Climb switch and RB setting changes did not change anything in the shock behaviour - so there is something wrong.
I hope i will here from the warrenty-service next week.

I've got a message from service now - the shock is fine, no failures.
But I still struggle to set RB.

pls check the videolinks:

1st video was made with the settings suggested from tftuned:
HSR 3 turn out from max
LSR 7 turn out from max
HSC 1,5 turn in from min
LSC 9 turn in from min
Dropbox - 20200109_211831.mp4 - Simplify your life

2nd video was made with differnt settings
HSR 0 turn out from max, fully closed
LSR 0 turn out from max, fully closed
HSC 1,5 turn in from min
LSC 9 turn in from min
Dropbox - 20200109_211933.mp4 - Simplify your life

Is this normal? There is no difference between the settings?!? Even when HSR and LSR 0 turn out from max, fully closed, RB seems to be to fast. I ride Levo 2019, 85 kg rideready, 600lbs spring.

Any suggestions?

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
I've got a message from service now - the shock is fine, no failures.
But I still struggle to set RB.

pls check the videolinks:

1st video was made with the settings suggested from tftuned:
HSR 3 turn out from max
LSR 7 turn out from max
HSC 1,5 turn in from min
LSC 9 turn in from min
Dropbox - 20200109_211831.mp4 - Simplify your life

2nd video was made with differnt settings
HSR 0 turn out from max, fully closed
LSR 0 turn out from max, fully closed
HSC 1,5 turn in from min
LSC 9 turn in from min
Dropbox - 20200109_211933.mp4 - Simplify your life

Is this normal? There is no difference between the settings?!? Even when HSR and LSR 0 turn out from max, fully closed, RB seems to be to fast. I ride Levo 2019, 85 kg rideready, 600lbs spring.

Any suggestions?
Don't judge it completely by doing a car park test, get out on the trail and ride it to see if the dials actually make a difference. If TF tuned have said its ok then I'm sure they dyno tested it.
At 85kg you are imo on the cusp of needing a heavier spring as it may ride too deep in it's travel. What sag are you getting?

gimmick_82

Oct 6, 2019
Vienna
Don't judge it completely by doing a car park test, get out on the trail and ride it to see if the dials actually make a difference. If TF tuned have said its ok then I'm sure they dyno tested it.
At 85kg you are imo on the cusp of needing a heavier spring as it may ride too deep in it's travel. What sag are you getting?

- 23% SAG with 600lbs
- jep, i still trust tf-tuned. just asked if anyone has experience with this RB issue...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles