Coil shock options for '19 Levo?

JonasH

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2018
Norway
I'v been riding with the 550 spring for a while now, mullet setup with DT swiss H1700 wheel out bak MM tires 2,6 front and back. Also switched to Fox Factory Grip2 160mm. These modifications really made the bike an even better descender than original. The Coil is plush as hell and no bottom outs till now. Think i do not need the new Kenevo.... Time will show ;)
Levo mod1.jpg

Levo mod2.jpg

2 stroke

Jul 30, 2019
Front Range Colorado
I'v been riding with the 550 spring for a while now, mullet setup with DT swiss H1700 wheel out bak MM tires 2,6 front and back. Also switched to Fox Factory Grip2 160mm. These modifications really made the bike an even better descender than original. The Coil is plush as hell and no bottom outs till now. Think i do not need the new Kenevo.... Time will show ;)
View attachment 16476
View attachment 16477
It sounds like you are happy with your Marz rear shock now that you have the right spring? I'm getting ready to buy a coil and thinking about the Marz with Avalanche tuning if Push continues to say no. Have you been happy with your Marz? I weigh 80kg and am considering an MRP progressive spring as one of my options.

JonasH

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2018
Norway
It sounds like you are happy with your Marz rear shock now that you have the right spring? I'm getting ready to buy a coil and thinking about the Marz with Avalanche tuning if Push continues to say no. Have you been happy with your Marz? I weigh 80kg and am considering an MRP progressive spring as one of my options.
Hi, I'm happy with the shock, however you can really feel how linear the rear suspension is with the coil option. would be very interresting to hear from you if you go for the progressive springrate.

bowser

May 23, 2019
Australia
What spring rate did you get and what do you weigh? i ended up getting 640lb spring and are 92kg, bang on 30% sag with 2mm preload

also, does your ohlins have a bearing in the top? mine doesn't. It has a DLC coated pin in a bore that i can't get to spin

Last edited:

Rich the gasman

E*POWAH Master
May 4, 2019
North east
What spring rate did you get and what do you weigh? i ended up getting 640lb spring and are 92kg, bang on 30% sag with 2mm preload

also, does your ohlins have a bearing in the top? mine doesn't. It has a DLC coated pin in a bore that i can't get to spin

I’m 101kg and same spring, seems perfect and my god totally transform the bike from very good to god dam amazing. I’ll check and get back to you

Frano

Jul 11, 2019
Chile
Hi @Rich the gasman
I have the Marzocci CR Bomber 210x55 (cheap shock, but buying several SLS springs is EXPENSIVE). I'm 73kg without gear and started with a 500lbs/in spring. It was way to soft and bottomed it out quite easy. Got a 600 spring, which was way to stiff. I now have on order 550 spring. Looking forward to try it out when it gets here. I'm not concerned about the 210x55 option. No issues when i bottomed it out. But i'm more concerned about whether a coil sprung shock is correct for this bike, and will give me the feel i want in the top, middle and bottom of the travel. The kinematics of the rear suspension is very linear and in theory not well suited for a coil shock. But i'll give the 550 spring a go.

Best Regard
Jonas
hi JonasH , I was wondering how much SAG did you have with de 500 and 600 lbs coil.... and with the 550 lbs if arrived , thanks!

jdizzle

Aug 15, 2019
leicestershire uk
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to add to the discussion - today was my first ride on my 2019 Levo with a coil shock. It has been a very long time since I had a coil shock, (and back then it was a DH bike) but I was blown away by the way it has transformed the bike. The rear suspension now works so well that it has made the forks feel a bit rubbish! Also, the bike seems way more playful and it definitely has a noticeable amount more grip. I was also surprised how much more comfortable the bike is when climbing- again the rear suspension is able to take out trail chatter so well.

I was unsure which shock to go for, but ultimately I decided that I really want to be able to use my bottle cage so a piggyback shock was out. I went with a 210 x 55 Cane creek dB in-line coil because I can run a bottle, they’re well reviewed, well priced and because I’ve had good experiences with their air shocks in the past. I like that the tech in then is designed by Ohlins too.

The extra 7mm of travel this shock gives the bike is nice too, especially as there are no downsides in terms of clearance etc.

Big shout out to Recoil suspension in Leicestershire for sorting it all out for me. Currently running a 550 spring which is too soft, but I’ve got a few stiffer ones to try next week.

To anyone who is thinking of getting a coil, I HIGHLY recommend doing it and the CC dB in-line coil is a great choice- especially now CC offer a version specifically for the Levo so the valving and set up is spot on out of the box (and the shock won’t break) - make sure you get the correct shock if you do this (they have a sticker on the shock to identify them)

I’m off to research coil sprung forks...

Frano

Jul 11, 2019
Chile
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to add to the discussion - today was my first ride on my 2019 Levo with a coil shock. It has been a very long time since I had a coil shock, (and back then it was a DH bike) but I was blown away by the way it has transformed the bike. The rear suspension now works so well that it has made the forks feel a bit rubbish! Also, the bike seems way more playful and it definitely has a noticeable amount more grip. I was also surprised how much more comfortable the bike is when climbing- again the rear suspension is able to take out trail chatter so well.

I was unsure which shock to go for, but ultimately I decided that I really want to be able to use my bottle cage so a piggyback shock was out. I went with a 210 x 55 Cane creek dB in-line coil because I can run a bottle, they’re well reviewed, well priced and because I’ve had good experiences with their air shocks in the past. I like that the tech in then is designed by Ohlins too.

The extra 7mm of travel this shock gives the bike is nice too, especially as there are no downsides in terms of clearance etc.

Big shout out to Recoil suspension in Leicestershire for sorting it all out for me. Currently running a 550 spring which is too soft, but I’ve got a few stiffer ones to try next week.

To anyone who is thinking of getting a coil, I HIGHLY recommend doing it and the CC dB in-line coil is a great choice- especially now CC offer a version specifically for the Levo so the valving and set up is spot on out of the box (and the shock won’t break) - make sure you get the correct shock if you do this (they have a sticker on the shock to identify them)

I’m off to research coil sprung forks...
Hey! How much you weight? And how much sag did you get with de 550 spring? Thanks

jdizzle

Aug 15, 2019
leicestershire uk
Hey! How much you weight? And how much sag did you get with de 550 spring? Thanks

I’m about 95kgs and get about 40%sag with the 550 - going to try a 650, 674 and 708 spring next week (worth noting that CC springs only go up to 550 - the heavier springs are all Ohlins). I’m actually really surprised how well the bike still rode with such a soft spring for my weight - guess it is a testament to the damping.

JonasH

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2018
Norway
I’m about 95kgs and get about 40%sag with the 550 - going to try a 650, 674 and 708 spring next week (worth noting that CC springs only go up to 550 - the heavier springs are all Ohlins). I’m actually really surprised how well the bike still rode with such a soft spring for my weight - guess it is a testament to the damping.

Hi @jdizzle nice that you have such an amazing experience with the coil shock. I have the Cr Bomber shock. Been through several spring rates myself. I’m 73kg, started with a 500 spring and got that buttery smooth feeling that you describe. But bottom out really easy, used all the compression I could. Tried out 600 spring, way too stiff. Settled for a 550 spring. No bottom out but still feels to stiff even at 25% sag... I think I will go back to Air shock where you can get soft in the beginning of the travel and ramps up nicely at the end. The kinematic of the rear suspension is really linear and I think I will only be happy if I got a progressive spring. Just my thoughts on this matter.

bowser

May 23, 2019
Australia
Going about it the wrong way. Spring rate is all about supporting weight and getting correct sag. Damping is all for controlling stroke used. If you have the correct sag then you have the correct spring, if you are bottoming you need to revalve the compression damping.

Saying that I would love to see suitable progressive springs available

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Hi @jdizzle nice that you have such an amazing experience with the coil shock. I have the Cr Bomber shock. Been through several spring rates myself. I’m 73kg, started with a 500 spring and got that buttery smooth feeling that you describe. But bottom out really easy, used all the compression I could. Tried out 600 spring, way too stiff. Settled for a 550 spring. No bottom out but still feels to stiff even at 25% sag... I think I will go back to Air shock where you can get soft in the beginning of the travel and ramps up nicely at the end. The kinematic of the rear suspension is really linear and I think I will only be happy if I got a progressive spring. Just my thoughts on this matter.

Im not sure what the recommended sag is for your levo is. For most bikes its around 30-35% . Speed alloy racing and others make springs in 25lb increments if you havent fully given up(saves a bit of weight toi). I put a coil on my old banshee rune and it was linear as well. I didnr have a problem. Turned it into a mini dh rig with a CC db coil shock. Cant say if itd be tge same ecperience on the levo though and im doing drops but avoid the dorp to falts.

Super Alloy Racing - Home

jdizzle

Aug 15, 2019
leicestershire uk

Just a quick update - I’ve ended up with a 650lb Cane Creek VAULT lightweight steel spring and it is perfect for me at about 95kgs. It is still super plush without wallowing but there is no noticeable harsh bottoming out even over fairly big drops to flat. Just to reiterate I’m running the 55mm stroke shock with zero clearance issues too.

Can’t recommend the 210 x 55 Cane Creek DB in-line coil for the 2019 Levo enough. It does everything I wanted it to do and I can still run a water bottle. Just make sure if you buy one it is the updated version specifically for Specialized StumpJumpers / Levos.

Raknor

Jun 11, 2019
North East
Just a quick update - I’ve ended up with a 650lb Cane Creek VAULT lightweight steel spring and it is perfect for me at about 95kgs. It is still super plush without wallowing but there is no noticeable harsh bottoming out even over fairly big drops to flat. Just to reiterate I’m running the 55mm stroke shock with zero clearance issues too.

Can’t recommend the 210 x 55 Cane Creek DB in-line coil for the 2019 Levo enough. It does everything I wanted it to do and I can still run a water bottle. Just make sure if you buy one it is the updated version specifically for Specialized StumpJumpers / Levos.

Hi mate. Do you have a link to this shock? Have you had any issues? Also did u require any mounting hardware?
Thanks in advance.

Dpca10

Dec 20, 2018
USA
At least when I bought it cane creek requires you to get the CS version of their coil. Works great, don’t see why you wouldn’t has a ton of adjustability

jdizzle

Aug 15, 2019
leicestershire uk
Hi mate. Do you have a link to this shock? Have you had any issues? Also did u require any mounting hardware?
Thanks in advance.

Hi mate,

Sure! Speak to Dom at https://www.recoilsuspension.co.uk/ - He was super helpful at sourcing the shock, fitting it and cocking around trying different spring weights, all for a very competitive price (he's also one of only a few Cane Creek certified service centres so he knows his stuff), but no reason you couldn't do it all via the post. He replies very quickly if you message him via their facebook page.

He also sorted all the mounting hardware and made the whole process super easy. He also supplied a Vorsprung "Smashpot" coil conversion for me... also highly recommended but that's another story!

Hope this helps!

James

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I could have an Ohlins TTX 22M 210 x 55 for sale in the next week or two as I am about to try a custom made Frankenshock from my very good friends at TF tuned

Last edited:

Raknor

Jun 11, 2019
North East
Hi mate,

Sure! Speak to Dom at Home • Recoil Suspension - He was super helpful at sourcing the shock, fitting it and cocking around trying different spring weights, all for a very competitive price (he's also one of only a few Cane Creek certified service centres so he knows his stuff), but no reason you couldn't do it all via the post. He replies very quickly if you message him via their facebook page.

He also sorted all the mounting hardware and made the whole process super easy. He also supplied a Vorsprung "Smashpot" coil conversion for me... also highly recommended but that's another story!

Hope this helps!

James

Hi mate. That's great. Thanks I will check him out. What mounting hardware did you require? Did it not just just bolt straight on?
I've been looking at changing the forks to coil as well. How did you find yours? Worth it? I've already increase the travel on my Expert to 160mm.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Hi Kiwi, can I have first dibs on it? just sold my Ohlins coil Enduro 29 to move to a Levo and desperately want to go back to a TTX22. How much would you want for it?
PM me and we can discuss further. Not in a hurry to sell it yet as I need to try the Frankenshock out for a couple of weeks first.

jdizzle

Aug 15, 2019
leicestershire uk
Hi mate. That's great. Thanks I will check him out. What mounting hardware did you require? Did it not just just bolt straight on?
I've been looking at changing the forks to coil as well. How did you find yours? Worth it? I've already increase the travel on my Expert to 160mm.
To be honest Dom sorted it all out so I’m not sure which hardware came with the shock vs what he had in stock, but he’ll be able to advise you.

The coil fork conversion is incredible - highly recommended! (I also extended the forks to 160mm at the same time so my bike is now 157mm rear and 160mm front of coil goodness!)

Raknor

Jun 11, 2019
North East
To be honest Dom sorted it all out so I’m not sure which hardware came with the shock vs what he had in stock, but he’ll be able to advise you.

The coil fork conversion is incredible - highly recommended! (I also extended the forks to 160mm at the same time so my bike is now 157mm rear and 160mm front of coil goodness!)

All Sorted mate. My local sorted me out nicely. Looks absolutely amazing and rides class. For reference you don't need any shock mounting hardware, simply swap out with the old shock and hardware. Took my guy at Infinity Cycles about 5mins to swap shock over then we ran through some set up. Spot on!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles