Coil Shock on e160?

Nautonier

Nov 22, 2018
Melbourne
I'm loving my e160 900, but I do feel like the weak point is the Super Deluxe shock, which isn't great in terms of small bump compliance. The Lyrik up front is excellent, especially with a 170mm air shaft, so I'd like that kind of plushness on the rear as well. I'm slightly regretting not getting the 900e with the X2, which is a far superior shock to the Rockshox (I've had them on other bikes). Unless I can get an X2 for a good price, I'm thinking I may as well go coil. Which coils have people tried on the e160s and do they work well with the leverage ratio of the frame? Any harsh bottom-outs?

Rockshox don't seem to sell the Super Deluxe coil aftermarket in Aus (same with Fox DHX2), so I guess the only options in 205 x 65 Trunnion are:
- Cane Creek DB
- DVO Jade

lookieuk

Nov 22, 2018
nz
I be very interested in which way you go... As I feel the same with my 800e...i plan on upgrading the forks with the new charger unit and 170mm travel upgrade.... I can get my hands on a dhx2 205 x 65 Trunnion.. Rear shock but littie worried it won't fit the frame... Has anyone done this?...

Nautonier

Nov 22, 2018
Melbourne
I ended up getting the DVO Jade and am absolutely loving it! Sensational small bump sensitivity and great for big hits. All round it just feels massively better that the air shock.

I also tried the Cane Creek off my other bike on it and that was just as good.

You can’t buy the Fox coil in trunnion metric in Australia, that would have been my first choice. I can’t see why it wouldn’t fit the Merida frame.

Nautonier

Nov 22, 2018
Melbourne
Yep, the size is 205 x 65 Trunnion mount. I paid $630 AUD for the Jade with a standard spring, which I am upgrading to a lightweight Valt spring.

You can use longer stroke shocks as well as long as they are Trunnion mount and the eye to eye is 205. The DVO Jade actually has a stroke of 69mm, but has a spacer on the shaft to reduce it to 65mm. I'm actually going to use a slightly smaller spacer to increase the bikes travel to 165mm, which it can manage without the frame hitting itself when at maximum extension/compression. I like the sound of a 170 front/165 rear travel bike! Kind of the sweet spot for the type of riding I do on that bike.

lookieuk

Nov 22, 2018
nz
Awesome thanks man for the information

think am going to try the fox dhx2 as I can get my hands on one... Do you know what size / spacers I would need for the top and bottom??

The fox I can get is 205x65 so am guessing it be the same as the jade and give me the extra 5mm travel :).... Definitely going to increase the travel at the front as well to 170mm....

Pic of the fox dhx2 I can get

received_464093454122770.jpeg

Nautonier

Nov 22, 2018
Melbourne
Awesome thanks man for the information

think am going to try the fox dhx2 as I can get my hands on one... Do you know what size / spacers I would need for the top and bottom??

The fox I can get is 205x65 so am guessing it be the same as the jade and give me the extra 5mm travel :).... Definitely going to increase the travel at the front as well to 170mm....

Pic of the fox dhx2 I can get

View attachment 9749
All you need is the mounting hardware that came off the bottom eyelet of your old shock. You have to push/tap the central axle through the eyelet and then put on the 2 x spacers each side.

I guess the only thing I can't verify in terms of fit in the frame is where the top of the spring meets the seat tube. On the Jade this is very tight, but on the Cane Creek there was a bit more room. The DHX2 takes the same inner diameter as both of these shocks, so you should be fine unless the spring is 'fatter' on the outside or the preload screw plate is wider. If the spring is really fat you could go to a Valt, which is slimmer and lighter by at least 100g.

Unfortunately looking at the pic I don't think Fox have made a 65 stroke by using a longer stroke with a spacer under the spring, so you will be stuck with 160mm travel, which is no big deal.

Where did you get the shock and how much did you pay for it? I really wanted one of these and I've seen them on buy sell forums in Europe, but they haven't released them here yet :( Judging by how much Iiked my X2 on another bike, I suspect the DHX2 could be amazing.

lookieuk

Nov 22, 2018
nz
I was very lucky a guy here in the south island of NZ has it and manage to get it for 525 NZ dollars ...from the pic the stoke is 60mm but its at a bike shop at the moment getting the spacer install with some fresh oil :)

ok thanks hopefully i wont need to get another spring but if it does then i get a valt one, what size spring are you running for the 65mm stroke?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I am sure there is another thread on here with a couple of Merida owners who have gone to a coil shock.

Nautonier

Nov 22, 2018
Melbourne
I was very lucky a guy here in the south island of NZ has it and manage to get it for 525 NZ dollars ...from the pic the stoke is 60mm but its at a bike shop at the moment getting the spacer install with some fresh oil :)

ok thanks hopefully i wont need to get another spring but if it does then i get a valt one, what size spring are you running for the 65mm stroke?

That’s an absolute bargain! I’m running a 2.5 x 400 spring, I weight about 75kg, so you might go up or down depending on your weight. My Norco Range takes a 450 spring, but the leverage ratio of the Merida needs a softer 400.

I ride in NZ ( South Island) often, I can imagine an ebike would be totally awesome there. I’m heading there in 3 weeks, but gutted I can’t bring it due to the battery thing.

lookieuk

Nov 22, 2018
nz
yeah i know right very lucky....am about 78kg so will try a 450x2.5 has my friend got one of them, do have 350 but that maybe way too soft

oh nice am in north island but would love to take my bike to nelson one day for a blast...we have rotura and its a blast there so many good trails...yeah sucks with the battery thing...if you ever come north island let me know, plan on getting a spare battery for mine which you can use ;)

andrewkeys84

Apr 5, 2019
Italy
Hello Guys!

Happy owner of a eOne 160 800. I'm about to replace the RS with a cane creek dB Cs coil BUT I'm going crazy in choosing the proper spring.
You are talking here about 2.5 springs but in the cane creek website, they suggest 2.75 or 3.00 springs...

May you help me in choosing a initial spring size / rate for the 205x65 trunnion cane creek shock?
I'm 84 kg ....

Thank you in advance!

Rallysaloon

Oct 6, 2018
Uk
When I installed a Cane Creek DB coil shock on my mtb TF Tuned recommended the spring for me based on my weight and riding style.
It was way over the size that Cane Creek had recommended for my weight on their website.
I suggest you send an e mail to the guys at TF Tuned and ask what they recommend as mine was spot on.

Mountain Bike Suspension Servicing, Repair and Parts - TF Tuned

I haven't gone for a coil on my E160 yet as the air shock it has is doing great. When it dies I probably will go coil.

brash

Jul 19, 2019
Aus
Got one fitted to my 900e yesterday.

Few small challenges. Thanks to covid I could only get a 205x60, this isn't a huge problem. Under the bump stop is a 5mm delrin spacer. Carefully snip that off.

Well, that didn't go 100% to plan, I accidently knicked the damper shaft resulting in a small scratch. Fixed that up, some 1500grit sandpaper and some nail varnish. Should keep the seal in check.

The preload adjuster and spring comes close to the downtube, but it clears by 4mm which is fine. A longer spring (I'm using a fox 500lb steel at 140mm) could hit the frame.

So far, the driveway test was very impressive. People think i'm nuts for replacing a fox X2 with a cheap marzocchi but we will see.
IMG_2016.jpg
IMG_2016.jpg

Manuelo

Jan 19, 2019
Czech Republic

Few small challenges. Thanks to covid I could only get a 205x60, this isn't a huge problem. Under the bump stop is a 5mm delrin spacer. Carefully snip that off.

Well, that didn't go 100% to plan, I accidently knicked the damper shaft resulting in a small scratch. Fixed that up, some 1500grit sandpaper and some nail varnish. Should keep the seal in check.

The preload adjuster and spring comes close to the downtube, but it clears by 4mm which is fine. A longer spring (I'm using a fox 500lb steel at 140mm) could hit the frame.

So far, the driveway test was very impressive. People think i'm nuts for replacing a fox X2 with a cheap marzocchi but we will see. View attachment 40343 View attachment 40343
Si what is your feedback? I am very curious about your built.

Veno

May 3, 2020
Zagreb
Si what is your feedback? I am very curious about your built.

So far, the driveway test was very impressive. People think i'm nuts for replacing a fox X2 with a cheap marzocchi but we will see. View attachment 40343 View attachment 40343
Tnx for the idea!

This post got me thinking and this is the result:

6F7B01ED-77B3-4CC3-A1B2-AEAB0B257734.jpeg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles