Coil Shock for Focus JAM2 (Gen1 - Shimano)

Billywhizz

Jun 24, 2019
TS147LN
Here we have a Marzocchi coil shock with a 500 spring on the large jam2, 4mm clearance on the frame and it rides superb.

Screenshot_20191129-172257_Samsung Experience Home.jpg

SCemtb

May 22, 2019
Santa Cruz Ca
Here we have a Marzocchi coil shock with a 500 spring on the large jam2, 4mm clearance on the frame and it rides superb.

View attachment 22332
Hi Billy - how does bomber CR spring feel compared to super deluxe? Is there enough mid stroke support and bottom out resistances? I’m in Santa Cruz CA also have Jam2 thinking of doing same swap. Not sure about spring weight or mounting hardware needed. Let know what fox hardware you ordered and spring. I’m about 185, 195 geared up and I ride hard techy stuff fast.

Billywhizz

Jun 24, 2019
TS147LN
Hi Billy - how does bomber CR spring feel compared to super deluxe? Is there enough mid stroke support and bottom out resistances? I’m in Santa Cruz CA also have Jam2 thinking of doing same swap. Not sure about spring weight or mounting hardware needed. Let know what fox hardware you ordered and spring. I’m about 185, 195 geared up and I ride hard techy stuff fast.
Hi, I am 165, I took in to consideration the weight of the bike. A 500lb spring and no headwear required . It feels better than the fox dpx on square edged hits, it also climbs better on steep rough climbs. Better all round shock imo. Also The Tec pac has plenty of room as some people don't think there is. Hope this helps.

ogden

Sep 8, 2020
North Yorkshire
So I got an interesting reply regarding this. I had seen that they have previously said its down to the FOLD suspension they don't recommend coils but the new Sam2 29er runs one.

I asked:
Hi, Is it possible to run a coil in the Jam2? I see the new Sam2 comes with a coil. I've also seen that Marco Fontana's Focus Jam2 runs a coil shock.

Focus:
the JAM² is developed for Air Shocks only. We never planned to run Coil Shocks on that bike. Nevertheless, there could eventually be some models on the market that could fit. In general the clearance (around the shock itself) is good for air shocks, but not enough for coil shocks. Coil shocks have a bigger cross section. So in the end it´s up to you ... if you find a model that can fit in without collision and good enough clearance, give it a try. But we don´t recommend to do so ... just because it will be hard to find one that can fit with secure clearance.
Best regards
Tanja | FOCUS Bikes

Vitsku

Dec 7, 2019
Finland
Has anyone fitted a Fox DPX2 or Rock Shox Superdeluxe. Concerned about piggyback. Thanks

Hi

I have.

DrChris

Oct 29, 2018
Australia
Does anyone know if the 2021 Jam2 frame has any better clearance for piggyback coil shocks? I've got a brand new MRP Hazzard 210x55mm shock looking for a new frame!! I do know that the MRP coils are 38mm inner diameter, so a bit larger than CC and Fox.

Thanks
DrChris

Vitsku

Dec 7, 2019
Finland
Does anyone know if the 2021 Jam2 frame has any better clearance for piggyback coil shocks? I've got a brand new MRP Hazzard 210x55mm shock looking for a new frame!! I do know that the MRP coils are 38mm inner diameter, so a bit larger than CC and Fox.

Thanks
DrChris
My understanding is that frame it self is same than 2020

Dm1672

Oct 30, 2021
Scottish Borders
I bought a fox dhx 2022 shock and can confirm that doesn't fit 🤣its going back to the shop next week so guess I will either have to go ohlins or a dpx can...gutted as I was looking forward to trying out the new coil this weekend.

Kiwi_Stu

Nov 5, 2019
Slovakia
Hi all, I've got a 2017 Jam2 Plus with 27.5 wheels which originally had a Revelation 140mm up front and RS Deluxe on the rear, I fairly quickly switched to a Yari 160 mm and then added an old Fox DHX5 200x57 coil that i had lying round. This setup was way better then the original and much plusher on the rear. Then about 1 year ago i played round and found out i could probably fit a 216x63 coil on the rear if i used offset shock hardware - so ordered a Bomber CR with Valt spring, fitted it on and now have 160 mm on the rear, and no frame rub with the coil. I also switched the Yari air shaft out for a Smashpot and this machine is ooohhhhh so plush now - a completely different beast to the original and awesome for enduro trails - i'd never go back (and i'm nearly out of warranty period so not worried about that either). If anyone is interested i can put some pic's up.
Cheers
Stu

Kiwi_Stu

Nov 5, 2019
Slovakia
Hi guys, i have a Bomber CR with ohlins spring on my Jam2 for the past year or so and had no issues, i have a photo at this thread:
One thing to note i have an L frame and not sure this works for M frames

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles