Coil Shock for Focus JAM2 (Gen1 - Shimano)

Keisari66

May 1, 2019
Finland
Agree with regards to the leverage factor, however when you compress a spring it will expand a bit sideways and/or even go into a slight arc.

That setup will rub the frame for sure but it’s your bike and it’s a free world so do whatever you like ;)

Karsten

Yeah not arguing about the rubbing :D probably need to get some basic steel spring with narrower outer diameter than the VALT. But before that I might as well grind 1mm off the bottom and ride it until I get the new spring delivered.

Keisari66

May 1, 2019
Finland
Just because I have no idea, is the outer diameter different on same length springs of let’s say 450lbs and 550lbs? I could probably go down a 50...

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Just because I have no idea, is the outer diameter different on same length springs of let’s say 450lbs and 550lbs? I could probably go down a 50...
Yes - pictured are a 550lbs spring (Red) and a 300lbs Spring (black) both meant for the same shock. However a one size spring drop may not be an adequate reduction

103E7C09-8747-4C77-8928-C3A33E0D8534.jpeg

B04D64F1-D52E-4C0E-B94A-84D383A08A90.jpeg

7B9F5B0C-BD37-4680-B383-1B74751689EB.jpeg

36D9A689-6548-4EF4-9B5C-B2D4A2666EE3.jpeg

Keisari66

May 1, 2019
Finland
Have you tried it upside down?

I did, it was the same upside down too. And I measured the spring OD and it was about 54mm so it’s not even that big. And now that I fiddled a little with it the climb switch gets obstructed too...

So I either need to do something to the spring or just return the shock before I’m too tempted to ride it.

I guess offset bushings don’t work to move the shock forwards or backwards? I would think they always make their way around so that the eye to eye is shortest.

B7A08664-3FBC-47F2-9686-8ED7C2CBF71B.jpeg

Last edited:

Keisari66

May 1, 2019
Finland
Is that definitely the right spring for the shock?

Yeah, the shock is a Cane Creek DBinline Coil 210/55mm and the spring is a Cane Creek VALT 2.25”/57.1mm. What was weird is that I could move the spring back and forth on the perches with 1 turn of preload, I don’t know how tight fit it should be?

Also thinking about getting a FOX spring to test as their inner diameter seems to be 1.1mm less.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I am not familiar with Cane Creek shocks, but on Rockshox you should have a minimum of 2 turns and max of 5.

Keisari66

May 1, 2019
Finland
What if I grind or file 1mm off the spring? It’s the lowest part of the spring that’s just barely touching the frame, can work a paper behind it.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
I guess you can look at the amount of free space but would that apply once the bike is fully active and being ridden?
I’d fit a shock and spring combo that’s correct.

Keisari66

May 1, 2019
Finland
I guess you can look at the amount of free space but would that apply once the bike is fully active and being ridden?
I’d fit a shock and spring combo that’s correct.

Once I sit on the bike there’s plenty of room. Only time it touches is when it’s unloaded. Shock and spring combo should be correct but apparently not for this frame. I would need to know Fox steel spring outer diameter in the 550-650lbs range before I return the shock ?

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Ok flipped it around upside down once again with the spring facing other way and got a little clearance now ?

View attachment 14612
That is because the spring can move a bit in its seat on the retainers. Trust me when you start riding it will move around and it will rub. I will say that you need at least 2 mm to be on the safe side. Also, your frame is flexing more than you think when riding in rough terrain.

Karsten

Keisari66

May 1, 2019
Finland
That is because the spring can move a bit in its seat on the retainers. Trust me when you start riding it will move around and it will rub. I will say that you need at least 2 mm to be on the safe side. Also, your frame is flexing more than you think when riding in rough terrain.

Karsten

Yeah, ordered another spring and added some clear tape on the frame for the meanwhile so I can see if this one rubs or not. Going to keep an eye on it on the test ride.

Tisme

Oct 10, 2018
Kent
100km on the trails now with the CC and absolutely no signs of any rubbing on the frame ? plus the coil shock is really amazing, there’s no way I’d go back to air...
Just read this thread. Did you buy another spring and how do you like it now you've had it a while? Ta

Jamsquared

Nov 15, 2019
Rushden, UK
What are you loving about it compared to the air shock?

I haven't swapped my jam2 for a coil yet... but on my 2016 reign it was night/day difference after setting it up. It was plusher, smoother. The whole bike just came alive. The air shock was a basic RS monarch r and the coil was a Cane creek DB with a 650 lb ti spring (at the time I was 116 kgs). You could adjust it so it was like riding a marshmallow or a pogo stick, with a happy medium being slightly biased towards pogo, maybe a pogomallow :) a lot more grip at BPW on all trails, it took off/landed better (even with my terrible technique), never bottomed out noticeably and inspired more confidence. (the only thing that came close to making such a noticable difference was swapping the wheels)

Whether the difference was between the shock quality and additional available adjustments or just floating along on a coil is better? who can say, but it was better instantly. :)

Col.

sputnik275wce

Patreon
Feb 23, 2019
Switzerland
Nice ! Thanks
No modification ? nope only upside down
No rubbing under full compression ? nope
What is the clearance with frame ? about 7mm
What is the clearance with Tec Pack ? nearly the same as with the fox dps
What is your weight ? i am about 75kg i use a 500lbs spring but havent testet it, except rolling down stairs

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles